Page 48 of 257 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    While I think it would be a great coup if we could get Kane as it appears more and more like he would be the post-Keane striker we really need, I reckon it's highly unlikely that will happen (as Kane himself has indicated). But we could maybe use his ascent as leverage to get Patrick Bamford to reconsider his international options - perhaps if he goes to a club with Irish players, they should sing Kane's praises in his presence and constantly note that between Sturridge, Welbeck, Kane, Berahino, Rodriguez and Rooney, England should be sorted for strikers for the next decade with No. Other. Forwards. Required.
    Ooh, that appears to be a stretch. From the outside looking in, there's Lambert, Rooney and Welbeck in the current English squad. Anyone scoring and playing regularly must fancy their chances of taking Lambert's spot in the long-term, if not the short-term.

Bamford ain't exactly shooting the lights out in Championship these days. He has 9 goals in 27 games. Joe Mason, for example, has 9 in 14 for Bolton in roughly the same time period (beginning of 2014).

By the above logic, Will Keane can forget about representing England at senior level. He'd fall into the same category as Kane; English-born, Irish father, top PL club, England-committed. Again, as with his almost namesake, I could forgive him for turning to Ireland... I think.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Ooh, that appears to be a stretch. From the outside looking in, there's Lambert, Rooney and Welbeck in the current English squad. Anyone scoring and playing regularly must fancy their chances of taking Lambert's spot in the long-term, if not the short-term.
    Don't forget Sturridge.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Bamford ain't exactly shooting the lights out in Championship these days. He has 9 goals in 27 games. Joe Mason, for example, has 9 in 14 for Bolton in roughly the same time period (beginning of 2014).

By the above logic, Will Keane can forget about representing England at senior level. He'd fall into the same category as Kane; English-born, Irish father, top PL club, England-committed. Again, as with his almost namesake, I could forgive him for turning to Ireland... I think.
    Course you can forgive him Ole, if he commits and performs! Not aimed at you, but do any supporters ever watch an Irish game and dwell on a player's background and motive for committing to us?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    @ Ole

Bamford has 2 in 3 starts this season. Last season he finished on a mini-drought of half a dozen games but even then he only started half of them. He has scored very consistently over the last year and has spoken several times of an ambition to break into the Chelsea team.

There is no indication whatsoever he will play for Ireland. Once he got that move to Chelsea and England started showing interest, he was off like several other young lads around the same time.

You brought up Mason too. If we have a goal drain then surely he would be one of the first players we'd select - rather than Cox or Sammon, so perhaps he too is uninterested in playing for Ireland at the moment?

Really it's a chore to get anyone that has any fraction of talent whatsoever to make a committal to Ireland yet some people think they are the solution to everything.

There is more chance of me getting with one of the French Erasmus students than there is of Harry Kane declaring for Ireland.

Make more of an effort with the younger players we already have and broaden our scope to include uncapped players - Doherty, O'Kane etc...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    @ Ole

Bamford has 2 in 3 starts this season. Last season he finished on a mini-drought of half a dozen games but even then he only started half of them. He has scored very consistently over the last year and has spoken several times of an ambition to break into the Chelsea team.

There is no indication whatsoever he will play for Ireland. Once he got that move to Chelsea and England started showing interest, he was off like several other young lads around the same time.

You brought up Mason too. If we have a goal drain then surely he would be one of the first players we'd select - rather than Cox or Sammon, so perhaps he too is uninterested in playing for Ireland at the moment?

Really it's a chore to get anyone that has any fraction of talent whatsoever to make a committal to Ireland yet some people think they are the solution to everything.

There is more chance of me getting with one of the French Erasmus students than there is of Harry Kane declaring for Ireland.

Make more of an effort with the younger players we already have and broaden our scope to include uncapped players - Doherty, O'Kane etc...
    The reality is we need new forward now, not so much midfielders or defenders as you mentioned. Hence, the emphasis on forwards like Bamford and Kane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Do you think I give a **** whether John Delaney agrees with me?
    I think AB meant the non-Ireland-born players wouldn't agree that it's no poor reflection on them. I don't see why criticising the management/organisation for begging eligible players who don't want to play for us should reflect badly on non-Ireland-born players who do want to play for us though. If they want to come play, the management won't (need to) be doing any begging, so it's not really a matter that concerns those players. Is it to suggest that non-Ireland-born players would appreciate it if the FAI came begging for their services as that is the only thing stopping them from declaring? We all know that's not the reason why many of these eligible players aren't interested. If a player would only consider switching after we've satisfied his need to be begged to, is he really someone who will have any sense of pride in his Irish heritage anyway?

Whilst we may make initial inquiries, I don't think we have been quite begging, to be fair. A lot of these will-he-or-won't-he-switch stories are vague and quoteless, most likely initiated by players' agents hoping to stir England into action. O'Neill commented on the Noble matter, for example, but he said that he wouldn't be chasing after Noble begging. It's up to Noble to declare his interest. Delaney also commented more generally recently (AB provided a link to the piece in a few threads) and stated we only entertained players who wanted to play for us.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Amen to that chief.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts

I think all six players I mentioned would definitely be considered above Bamford in the pecking order based on current status and form - that could change over the coming years, hence my cunning plan to get potential Irish team-mates to imply that he'll never break into the England squad, taking advantage of the very fact that he hasn't competely hit the ground running at championship level. Although he hasn't exactly been a flop either and is still only 21.

Joe Mason isn't directly relevant to this debate as this thread is more about, essentially, persuading English-born players to come and play for Ireland over England. As Mason has played for our underage teams he's ours to lose (a bit like Grealish), although of course you're right when you talk about watching his current form with a view to promoting him to the senior side.

As regards Will Keane, I did actually think about mentioning him but, as he has only played a few senior games and hasn't scored a senior goal yet I was unsure whether he could be put forward as someone who could leapfrog Bamford in the England pecking order or, as you imply, could be poached in a similar manner to Bamford. Although, given that he is actually eight months older than Bamford, perhaps you're right and should start applying this plan to him - "you'll never make it to the England squad, Will - even Bamford is ahead of you"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    We struggle to get 26 year olds and 27 year olds to declare for us and we are getting our hopes up about 19 year olds and 20 year olds. Despite nothing from the past 15 years indicating a player of Bamford or Kane's stature would declare at this juncture.

Optimistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Should not get his own private thread until he declares

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPeteO/s...61080010129408
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    It's funny enough to note how David McGoldrick's name has been bandied about in the media by journos and Ipswich players alike. On the other hand, if this transpires, then Christie will have gone straight from English to the Ireland squad without one column millimetre dedicated to him on the matter.

Jeff Hendrick and Richard Keogh would want to get their heads out of the sand on this one!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Cyrus Sylvester Frederick Christie.

The FAI's name recognition algorithm must be pretty sophisticated.

Though of course if he was from The Wesht his middle name would be Silvie. I'll never forget sniggering at the Galway hurler Silvie Linnane. We all thought he had a girl's name.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/10/2014 at 1:34 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    They patented that algorithm and have now consultants working in Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, Spain, Portugal etc. How do you think they got the Debt reduced for "nothing"....

They're a bit 'different' in Galway Stutts.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Oh yeah the papers finally have it................................me wonders if they saw my post. I want credit!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...game-1.1957662

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/socc...county-4407132

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30651639.html
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Daniel McDonnell: Time to close the door on Noble

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30678029.html

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

A fair and measured article. However, while he would not be a walk in to an Irish squad, he would be a better option than the likes of Paul Green. Options, options, options....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    A fair and measured article. However, while he would not be a walk in to an Irish squad, he would be a better option than the likes of Paul Green. Options, options, options....
    Better player, no question. Better option? No way. Green's commitment to Ireland has been second to none. Noble doesn't even know if he can be bothered playing for us. I'd take Green every day of the week. If we were short of midfielders and needed somebody to step in, which player do you think would hop on a plane at a minute's notice to get here, or somewhere in the arse end of Europe?

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Better player, no question. Better option? No way. Green's commitment to Ireland has been second to none. Noble doesn't even know if he can be bothered playing for us. I'd take Green every day of the week. If we were short of midfielders and needed somebody to step in, which player do you think would hop on a plane at a minute's notice to get here, or somewhere in the arse end of Europe?
    And if I had a choice of a player who could help us beat a team in the arse end of Europe rather than a player who is less gifted, I would take Noble over Green every time. There are no plaudits for nearly qualifying and using inferior players based on commitment. Pragmatism is at the heart of O'Neill's decisions in sounding out players and is good enough for me.
    Last edited by gastric; 21/10/2014 at 3:54 AM.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    And if I had a choice of a player who could help us beat a team in the arse end of Europe rather than a player who is less gifted, I would take Noble over Green every time. There are no plaudits for nearly qualifying and using inferior players based on commitment. Pragmatism is at the heart of O'Neill's decisions in sounding out players and is good enough for me.
    But will a more talented half-arsed player actually be of greater help in the grand scheme of things than a less gifted committed player?It's not necessarily so, just because he's more gifted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

He mentions that Cyrus Christie and Jack Grealish are childhood pals. Is Dan Crowley another friend of both?