Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's Latest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    It was the plastic pitch. Clearly!

Bray have problems with injuries and suspensions at the moment. Our squad is young, and small, and it's playing havoc with the overall ability and cohesion of the starting XI we're able to put out each week. Hopefully we'll be able to get a bit of stability back, because when we play well, we can play very well.
    I thought ye where only missing Paddy Kavanagh and Deans tonight?seemed to be a full team other than that! Your defence was destroyed by Rowe and Mulvenna tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Great result tonight. Not only did we win but we played quite well and deserved it. Hopefully Mark O Briens alright. Looked like a bad knock. Hopefully we can follow in from this win. Its just a shame our next league match isnt for 2 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [quote=GalwayRed;1172959]Great result tonight. Not only did we win but we played quite well and deserved it. Hopefully Mark O Briens alright. Looked like a bad knock. Hopefully we can follow in from this win. Its just a shame our next league match isnt for 2 weeks.[/quote]

I think alot of teams will be thinking the exact same dude. We couldnt have had a worse possible time for the cup break to come because our next game is at Cork who aint doing well atm and I think we could have got a result down there if that game took place next week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black and White View Post
    Bray where simply awful tonight, how in the name of god are they not last, completly different team that played us earlier in the season!
    In all the games I've seen this season, the best I've seen any team play against us was Bray's second half at the Carlisle Grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasnevinRed View Post
    They announced FT Mons 2 - Ucd 1 in Tolka. Was so excited
    Yeah, I think tonight's one of those big, big results for UCD- being able to grind out an important result away from home, especially after not winning in a couple of games.

Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    Hopefully Mark O Briens alright. Looked like a bad knock.
    What happened? Was it just a bad collision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Great performance from Harps tonight, 6 or 7 nil would not have flattered us. We had 3 attempts cleared off the line and the Mervue 'keeper made 2 top notch saves.
    Saying that, Mervue are a very poor side but at least we are putting away that kind of side.

7 points out a possible 9 lately Title race wide open

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Great result tonight. Not only did we win but we played quite well and deserved it. Hopefully Mark O Briens alright. Looked like a bad knock. Hopefully we can follow in from this win. Its just a shame our next league match isnt for 2 weeks.
    2 weeks? Consider yourself lucky. We don't play at home again until the first week in July, and we are meant to survive until then on a paltry attendance of less than 500

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post

What happened? Was it just a bad collision?
    Yeah it was a collision with O Brien going up for a header. He took a bad knock to the head and had to be stretchered off. He was down for quite a few minutes before being moved onto the stretcher. Hopefully hes alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I'm not gonna say what happened O'Brien was an accident, because it wasn't. I know the typical thing to say in situations like that is that it isn't in his character and all that, but the chap should be ashamed of himself, pure violence. Just hope Mark is ok. Excellent performance, Flood is too good.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    2 weeks? Consider yourself lucky. We don't play at home again until the first week in July, and we are meant to survive until then on a paltry attendance of less than 500
    Less then 500 Thats worse than the Derry game and I thought that was only bad because it was a Thursday.
    Sure our next home league game isnt until the start of July either and I cant imagine Crumlin on a Tuesday night will attract the masses. Technically crumlin are the home team anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    I'm not gonna say what happened O'Brien was an accident, because it wasn't. I know the typical thing to say in situations like that is that it isn't in his character and all that, but the chap should be ashamed of himself, pure violence. Just hope Mark is ok. Excellent performance, Flood is too good.
    Maybe you were in a better position to see it then me? What did he do? Looked like a routine challenge for a header to me but I was behind the goals so not the best position to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Less then 500 Thats worse than the Derry game and I thought that was only bad because it was a Thursday.
    Sure our next home league game isnt until the start of July either and I cant imagine Crumlin on a Tuesday night will attract the masses. Technically crumlin are the home team anyway.
    You sound shocked by our attendance. I'm not, the Galway public have deserted us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You sound shocked by our attendance. I'm not, the Galway public have deserted us

I'm surprised, your doing well in the league this year, would've espected biger attendances this year after a relegation battle last year.
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I am. I was shocked at the Derry match with how few people showed up. Why the desertion? Last year attendences at Terryland were higher and you were fighting relegation all season. This year youre mid table and have lowered ticket prices. Less than 500 at a premier division match is pretty shocking to be honest.
    Last edited by GalwayRed; 05/06/2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligofan4ever View Post
    I'm surprised, your doing well in the league this year, would've espected biger attendances this year after a relegation battle last year.
    I am. I was shocked at the Derry match with how few people showed up. Why the desertion? Last year attendences at Terryland were higher and you were fighting relegation all season. This year youre mid table and have lowered ticket prices. Less than 500 at a premier division match is pretty shocking to be honest.
    Agree with ye lads, its bemusing. 500 is shocking, and with us only almost half way through the season, they could drop even more. Back in 2007 we played hoofball for 90 minutes under Cousins, defended for our lives and rarely scored, but got crowds of 2000+. Now Foster has us playing our best footbaal for a while and we are defying odds, but now there is usually less than 1000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Maybe you were in a better position to see it then me? What did he do? Looked like a routine challenge for a header to me but I was behind the goals so not the best position to see.
    Yeah it was right in front of where I was sitting, the chap just went straight through him, one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life, I honestly feared for Mark. It was blatantly clear he wasn't getting near the ball, but he wasn't backing down anyway.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    First game I've enjoyed in months. 9 players out injured and we thoroughly deserved to beat Bohs.

Jester getting a cracker topped the night
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    When are we going to get some luck? :-(

and a new keeper?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Why?..... Our last year in the First Division was semi-successful, we were challenging for the league and crowds got quite large towards the end of that season.
    From that the hype from been back in the premier along with the on the field success of the previous season saw bumper crowds arrive up to Terryland, a home win wasn't forthcoming until after the half way mark of the season, the crowds were slowly dropping and were around the 2k mark when we won that game.

Finished the season with around 2/3 home wins

On to last season, again a good starting crowd of round the 2,500 mark, again another loss and with each passing game the crowds were slowly dropping off, we finished last season again with 2/3 home wins.

So that's around 6 home league wins in two seasons taking us into this year, i think most of them have had enough, we were consistently picking up points away from home only to draw/lose in front of the paying crowd.

This year isnt looking much better, aside frm the Dundalk win there hasn't been much of note.... no cluib could ever maintain decent crowds when they rarely win at home
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    Why?..... Our last year in the First Division was semi-successful, we were challenging for the league and crowds got quite large towards the end of that season.
    From that the hype from been back in the premier along with the on the field success of the previous season saw bumper crowds arrive up to Terryland, a home win wasn't forthcoming until after the half way mark of the season, the crowds were slowly dropping and were around the 2k mark when we won that game.

Finished the season with around 2/3 home wins

On to last season, again a good starting crowd of round the 2,500 mark, again another loss and with each passing game the crowds were slowly dropping off, we finished last season again with 2/3 home wins.

So that's around 6 home league wins in two seasons taking us into this year, i think most of them have had enough, we were consistently picking up points away from home only to draw/lose in front of the paying crowd.

This year isnt looking much better, aside frm the Dundalk win there hasn't been much of note.... no cluib could ever maintain decent crowds when they rarely win at home
    Bearing this in mind I still find crowds around the 500-600 mark shockingly low. I know the majority of people in Ireland dont care about the league but are there honestly only 600-700 people in galway(factoring in Mervues crowds) that are interested in live football. Galway are 5th in the league and playing some good football based on the 3 games ive seen this season. So far this season you have played 8 home games. You have won 3 of them, drawn 2 and lost 3. I mean I dont see how your crowds have dropped this season. Your home form has clearly improved and yet crowds have decreased rapidly. As ive said you also decreased ticket prices not to mention the fact that Terryland is a great venue to host matches. So yes i can honestly say Im shocked Galway had less than 500 at the Drogs game and only 600 versus Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasnevinRed View Post
    They announced FT Mons 2 - Ucd 1 in Tolka. Was so excited
    Now you know how the rest of us felt after your late goals all season.

Very poor performance from us. Monaghan weren't very good but we didn't hold onto the ball at all and were lucky to get the win in the end. Both Monaghan goals were uncontested headers from crosses which should have been dealt with. Our second was a nice move on the break but overall we didn't play well.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast