Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Drogs beat Dundalk

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Surprised to see some think he will be gone after the next game (if he loses), I would have thought the board would give him a bit longer, but who knows!!!

Reason I took the Drogs game is that if (and its an if) he lost that game he would have no excuses given the difference in resources.

I do fear that if Connor goes then Matthews might be tempted (despite his words in the press), he is hoping he stays with us.

Another question , on an assumption that he is fired, who are the candidates to replace him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Another question , on an assumption that he is fired, who are the candidates to replace him?
    John Gill

Damien Richardson would have to be out in front. Johnny McDonnell may be tempted.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    Whats Dundalk's wage bill anyway? 17k a week is it?
    Weekly player wage bill was €12,500 - that has reduced somewhat with the departures of Rogers, O'Callaghan & Singh. Obviously Collins plus whatever other July signings will add back to that. Owner & CEO Gerry Matthews is on record as saying that there is money available form this budget for July window, and has not ruled out increasing this.

Surprised to see some think he will be gone after the next game (if he loses), I would have thought the board would give him a bit longer, but who knows!!!

Reason I took the Drogs game is that if (and its an if) he lost that game he would have no excuses given the difference in resources.

I do fear that if Connor goes then Matthews might be tempted (despite his words in the press), he is hoping he stays with us.

Obviously the board are between a rock and a hard place here. A defeat (or even a draw) at home to Bray would leave the team with a pitiful 4 or 5 points haul over the last 6 games

Prior expectations from games Galway (H), Drogheda (A), Pats (H), Sligo (H), Shamrocks (A) Bray (H) were probably in the 10 - 15 points range. Particularly with Drogheda hitting form and Bray also picking up points the picture is bleak for a Dundalk team low on confidence.

If the board are to bite the bullet and replace Connor, now is obviously the time with the July window gaping, to allow a new man the opportunity to take in his choice of players. But, are they prepared to take the financial hit in the current environment?

My belief is that if Sean Connor is still in place next Monday evening, he will remain to the end of the season. In this scenario he would need to preform miracles of Europa League qualification or cup win to be in charge next season.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 04/06/2009 at 8:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Weekly player wage bill was €12,500 - that has reduced somewhat with the departures of Rogers, O'Callaghan & Singh. Obviously Collins plus whatever other July signings will add back to that. Owner & CEO Gerry Matthews is on record as saying that there is money available form this budget for July window, and has not ruled out increasing this.
    Since when is Singh gone...
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Harpal Singh departed at the weekend due to his upcoming wedding.
    Ah. I knew he was away to get married but thought it was in July. Good Luck to him.

EDIT:Feck sake sligoman...
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Ours is about E6,000 AFAIK. (Not trying to be boastful there just comparing). What are other clubs operating off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    John Gill

Damien Richardson would have to be out in front. Johnny McDonnell may be tempted.

John Gill a non-runner - came in for a lot of fan flak last season in particular as Dundalk threaten to implode again on the title run in (edit - did implode but rescued by Colin Scanlon 94th minute goal for Limerick in Tolka). Board would leave themselves hugely exposed to critism to admit they made an error in not re-appointing him.

Damien Richardson - possibly

Johnny McDonnell - very obvious candidate

Gareth Cronin - apparently interviewed well last time?

Roddy Collins - Out of the frying pan, into the fire

Pete Mahon - ?

Joe Miller - Most obvious of all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    What are other clubs operating off?
    £17.20, give or take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    do people think that will be the end of O'Connor with Dundalk?

The back of the Drogheda Indo this week had Matthews pinning his future to drogs as rumours suggested he may be approached to replace O'Connor. The Drogs board also said that there are 18months left on Alans contract and they will not allow any approaches - to be fair it did sound like he was more than happy to stay and enjoying the challenge of developing this team against all the odds.

The real bit that caught my eye was the Duns chairman giving his vote of confidence to O'Connor (never a good sign).
    if Alan goes to another club do we get compensation? I mean seeing as were paying his wages after all it would only be fair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    i would wager my mortgage that had John Gill had been given the budget that SPOOFER has Dundalk would be in a lot better position...he is the biggest joke in the Eircom League and with Roddy Collins thats saying alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    if roles were reversed and alan matthews had been given the players and budget at drogs that the spoofer got at dundalk id expect us to be up around 5th/6th not scrapping it out with the two lowest spending teams in the league.in fact i hope connor stays at dundalk he's doing a great job from a drog point of view

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    £17.20, give or take.
    That's what you're telling Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrickFan View Post
    i would wager my mortgage that had John Gill had been given the budget that SPOOFER has Dundalk would be in a lot better position...he is the biggest joke in the Eircom League and with Roddy Collins thats saying alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
    I would have that wager with you, we are only working off €2.5k more a week than we were last year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stamullendrog View Post
    if roles were reversed and alan matthews had been given the players and budget at drogs that the spoofer got at dundalk id expect us to be up around 5th/6th not scrapping it out with the two lowest spending teams in the league.in fact i hope connor stays at dundalk he's doing a great job from a drog point of view
    That is an expectation shared by most Dundalk fans.

But they are only 3 points off 6th and 4 points off 5th. A run of results can alter things significantly for any of the bottom 6.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    That is an expectation shared by most Dundalk fans.

But they are only 3 points off 6th and 4 points off 5th. A run of results can alter things significantly for any of the bottom 6.

thats why I would be surprised if he went after the Bray game (if you lose) but feel that by the time the Drogs game comes around and if you are still struggling, then it might be at this point that he gets the bullet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    If Drogs beat Dundalk

do people think that will be the end of O'Connor with Dundalk?

The back of the Drogheda Indo this week had Matthews pinning his future to drogs as rumours suggested he may be approached to replace O'Connor. The Drogs board also said that there are 18months left on Alans contract and they will not allow any approaches - to be fair it did sound like he was more than happy to stay and enjoying the challenge of developing this team against all the odds.

The real bit that caught my eye was the Duns chairman giving his vote of confidence to O'Connor (never a good sign).
    I know its kinda juvenile of me, but I really couldn't resist having another look at this thread in the light of tonights result, and Dundalk winning five out of the last six league games since the original post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan WHO??

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Dundalk. Totally the best run club in the country. In your face.

IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mr A; 25/07/2009 at 5:14 PM. Reason: Posts like this are the reason that foot.ie should have some form of breathalyser. Sort it out dahamsta!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know its kinda juvenile of me, but I really couldn't resist having another look at this thread in the light of tonights result, and Dundalk winning five out of the last six league games since the original post!
    Just to note since the league started how many changes has there been to the Dundalk panel, Rogers, O'Callaghan, Singh, Fabio, and afew others all replaced by mostly scottish players so who is calling the shots Sean Connor or Joe Millar so who gets credit for the transformation in the teams performances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whinnie01 View Post
    Just to note since the league started how many changes has there been to the Dundalk panel, Rogers, O'Callaghan, Singh, Fabio, and afew others all replaced by mostly scottish players so who is calling the shots Sean Connor or Joe Millar so who gets credit for the transformation in the teams performances
    Sean Connor took plenty of justifiable flak from Dundalk fans for the poor early season results, and deserves the lions share of credit for the remarkable turnaround since (6 wins out of last 7 games since 5th June).

The two key signings have been Alex Williams and Mickey Collins (who have played in the last 4 games). Joe Miller clearly played an important role with the Williams signing, as well as the other more recent Scottish squad additions (McGowan, Cherrie and McKinlay) who all made their debuts last week in Galway.

Perhaps the single most important positive influence is the changed attitude created by the boards action in dismissing Dave Rogers. While Rogers was actually playing well, this decisive intervention seems to have had the required impact on many (Sean Connor included) within the club.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast