Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sean Scannell F Grimsby Town b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/foot...player-9233539

SEAN SCANNELL: While Butterfield may take the plaudits, the rejuvenated Scannell's influence this season cannot be overlooked after a staggering rise from a bit-part player under Mark Robins to a key part of what Powell is trying to build at Town. His direct style and tricky wing play gets people off their seats and he will be vital to the Terriers' hopes of progression next season. 8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    150th start in a league game tonight and got an assist in a cracking away win for the Terriers.

After these qualifiers I really think it must surely be time for a B international. Since we resumed them in 1990 after a long break, 7 years is the longest gap we've gone without one. It'll be 7 years again in October.
    Last edited by Yard of Pace; 16/09/2015 at 3:22 AM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Huddersfield are in third place in the Championship and are almost certainly going to make the playoffs. Does anyone know anything about how this guy has been playing this season? Surely he's worthy of a call up to the senior squad if he's playing regularly for a team that is pushing for promotion to the Premier League?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    As his club side have improved, his apps stats have dropped, to 11 so far this run from being 30+ and one 40+ in three of the last four seasons. Now maybe there was an injury, or lots of little injuries, but he doesn't seem to be a key part of things. More a squad player, presently anyhow. Hopefully he gets in, he showed real promise one time and still only 26.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    He has missed months with an ankle injury and is still out. Played slot in first 2 or3 months of season before injury. Would love to see him be involved for us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    He has missed months with an ankle injury and is still out. Played slot in first 2 or3 months of season before injury. Would love to see him be involved for us
    I don't think he's good enough for Intl football from what I have seen of him, and I doubt he would get much ball for Huddersfield in the Premier League.

I would have Brady, McClean, McGeady, Horgan, Pilkington, Hayes and O'Dowda ahead of him. Maybe even a couple others.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If he keeps up this form maybe Michael O'Neill will try to completely fairly induce him to declare for Northern Ireland again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Scannell started for Huddersfield earlier for the first time since recovering from his four-month lay-off through injury as his club secured a Championship play-off spot with a 1-0 win over Wolves. It was Scannell's 14th start of the season.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Scannell started for Huddersfield earlier for the first time since recovering from his four-month lay-off through injury as his club secured a Championship play-off spot with a 1-0 win over Wolves. It was Scannell's 14th start of the season.
    Great stuff. I think that pace and power could add something to us off the bench. Certainly a better frontman option than that Mcclean up top experiment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Great stuff. I think that pace and power could add something to us off the bench. Certainly a better frontman option than that Mcclean up top experiment
    I think McClean has done pretty well for us when played in that position.

He fared pretty well playing in that position for Wigan in the Championship too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I think McClean has done pretty well for us when played in that position.

He fared pretty well playing in that position for Wigan in the Championship too.
    He has been rubbish in that position got a bit of praise for the Switzerland friendly that wasn't justified he can't play with his back to goal and can't do any hold up which in fairness u have to do at some stage if u play up top.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Slovakia game was when McClean played up front, no? Was anonymous against Iceland but then again so was everyone.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Good bit of pace and finish from Sean
    https://streamable.com/uwkmp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Good bit of pace and finish from Sean
    https://streamable.com/uwkmp
    Involved in the build-up for Huddersfield's third goal - not bad for a fifteen minute cameo. For all the lobbying for call-ups or more involvement for a dozen or so Championship midfielders, it should be remembered that Scannell is an uncapped player with nearly 300 Championship appearances under his belt, is only just about to turn 27 and will be in a Premier League squad this season. He should really be one of the priorities for MON and Keano in terms of who to keep an eye on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Certainly ahead of Anthony Pilkington anyway.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Involved in the build-up for Huddersfield's third goal - not bad for a fifteen minute cameo. For all the lobbying for call-ups or more involvement for a dozen or so Championship midfielders, it should be remembered that Scannell is an uncapped player with nearly 300 Championship appearances under his belt, is only just about to turn 27 and will be in a Premier League squad this season. He should really be one of the priorities for MON and Keano in terms of who to keep an eye on.
    He had 15 championship appearances last season. He has started 95 games across 5 years at Huddersfield. That's an average shy of 20 matches in a season which could have 50 for Huddersfield. Let's not kid ourselves with the 300 figure- almost half are as a sub.

I'm surprised he is still at Huddersfield after all the players they have signed. All the best to him though.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Okay. Read posts above referring to an ankle injury. Still though. much of my point still stands.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He had 15 championship appearances last season. He has started 95 games across 5 years at Huddersfield. That's an average shy of 20 matches in a season which could have 50 for Huddersfield. Let's not kid ourselves with the 300 figure- almost half are as a sub.

I'm surprised he is still at Huddersfield after all the players they have signed. All the best to him though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Okay. Read posts above referring to an ankle injury. Still though. much of my point still stands.

Sure, I understand that he hasn't always been first choice for Huddersfield (due in part, as you say, to injury) and you could say his career has plateaued somewhat from when he appeared to be a breakout star at Palace. But at the same time if you compare his record to a number of other members of the Irish squad that have been given a chance and that pundits and fans have lobbied for over the years, even his career so far stands up well against them - I mean, assuming he even earns time off the bench, he'll be taking his Premier League bow at the same age as Jonathan Walters and two years younger than Wes Hoolahan. At the age of twenty-nine, Jonny Hayes has been brought into the squad based on a couple of good seasons at Aberdeen. Conor Hourihane is only five months younger but has played 256 fewer Championship games than Scannell. Kevin Long is a month older and has played 23 Championship games and 2 Premier League games and looks like he's becoming an important part of our central defence.

Now I know there's more to picking an international team than past appearance statistics and it's entirely possible that Scannell might fail to get games at the higher level or get loaned out or sold to a Championship team (although that hasn't stopped McGeady from appearing for us) but I think that even if he is used primarily as a sub and does reasonably well, he's got to jump to the top of the queue for players to be tested next time friendlies come around with a view to having him in the squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers. And if he really steps up, and should we qualify, MON and Keano should definitely consider him for the finals next summer.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Of course if he steps up he has to be considered. Look at Kevin Long. Stepped up. Considered.

I think the examples of Hoolahan, Walters, Hayes and Hourihane are clutching at straws if you're using them as a basis for you point. They were amongst the best players in the Championship/SPL before they earned their call-up to the Ireland squad or progressed to the PL or Celtic. Scannell has been a rotational player.

Don't get me wrong. I hope he does progress into our set-up but at this point I think MON should be focusing on other players because Scannell progressing into our squad would be quite akin to coming out of nowhere (relatively speaking).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Oh well, so much for that: gone on loan to Burton for the season: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40982145

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast