Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange fact!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Strange fact!

From an e-mail I got a week or so ago.

Recent Derry City home games in the L.O.I.

Now while we do not wish to cast any aspersions on the professional ability of individual referees, there must be some questions asked. Recently there have been several very worthy appeals for penalties at Brandywell which have been turned down by the officials. Maybe they were correct in doing so, but maybe they were wrong. However it is significant that Derry City's record at Brandywell is signifcantly below par when specific referees are officiating.

Let's take for instance that in recent seasons Derry City have been winning more often than not at Brandywell - our home record has been quite good with approximately a 60 per cent win record.

Strangely, with some officials, Derry City's record at Brandywell is quite sub-standard.

The following is Derry City's record while being officiated by some of the league's top referees: (records as of 2nd May 2009)

Damien Hancock (Dublin) - Damien has refereed 15 games at Brandywell since April of 2008 - Derry City have won just five.

Ian Stokes (Dublin) - Ian has refereed 18 games at Brandywell, Derry City have won just six. Indeed from 32 games which Ian has officiated involving Derry City, the Candy Stripes have won just 10.

David McKeon (Dublin) - Damien refereed nine games at Brandywell between 22nd April 2005 and 3rd November 2006 - Derry City didn't win any of them. Of the last five occasions Damien has refereed at Brandywell, Derry City have won just one.

Paul Tuite (Dublin) - Derry City have won just one of seven away games at which he has officiated.

Robbie Winter (Dublin) - He has officiated at 12 Derry City games over the past two seasons - Derry City have won just four.

These percentages don't seem stack up. While this is not meant to be an attack on specific officials, it does highlight that Dublin officials are handed big games which generally are against Dublin clubs. While some of this may be seen as sour grapes, the above statistics are facts. While it is accepted that Derry City could not have been expected to win every game at home, and they would almost certainly not deserved to win many of them, the figures just don't stack up.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    This would be more appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post

That was scary
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Thanks, I'm going to have nightmares....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Nonsense
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post

These percentages don't seem stack up. While this is not meant to be an attack on specific officials, it does highlight that Dublin officials are handed big games which generally are against Dublin clubs. While some of this may be seen as sour grapes, the above statistics are facts. While it is accepted that Derry City could not have been expected to win every game at home, and they would almost certainly not deserved to win many of them, the figures just don't stack up.
    So Derry must have an incredibly high % win rate when you have a non-Dublin official in charge of the game.

Do the non-Dublin referees have to pay taxes on the contents of the brown envelopes - and if they did would they have to pay them to the Queen or to the Irish Government?!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

MickNolan

You my friend are mentally disturbed..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I think it is important that we eradicate this worrying pro-Derry bias from non-Dublin refs.

Did you know that Derry's win rate at home is only about 30% when they have a Dublin man as referee, but that it jumps to about 60% when someone from outside the capital takes charge?

Thanks for pointing this out Candystripe!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I don't buy into the idea of an anti-Derry conspiracvy, or even necessarily the idea that a Dublin ref will autmoatically favour a Dublin team.

I also think the stats you've provided here Candystripe are relatively meaningless without being over-layed with the teams we were playing against. We continually register some disappointing results against teams we should be beating over the years, for example. That's why we haven't won the league in 20 years - we're not consistent.

A Harps fan could do a similar analysis of the various refs who've covered the north-west derby, and then conclude that a number of them have a pro-City bias. They don't - it's just that we almost always beat Harps.

Also - what if the Dublin ref was a Bohs fan, and the game concerned was City versus Rovers ? Would the Dub ref still automatically favour the Dub team ?

The refs in our league are poor full-stop. Claiming that their judgements are more the outcome of design than crapness is just giving them more credit than they deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    So Derry must have an incredibly high % win rate when you have a non-Dublin official in charge of the game.

Do the non-Dublin referees have to pay taxes on the contents of the brown envelopes - and if they did would they have to pay them to the Queen or to the Irish Government?!
    Gone away and **** yourself with that aul queen crap. Seriously.

MickNolan
    Sure everybody moans about the refs in this league. Why do you have to make a big deal about it blaming them on being against youse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    That's why we haven't won the league in 20 years - we're not consistent.
    Surely not winning the League for 20 years is the definition of consistency, not inconsistency...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I don't buy into the idea of an anti-Derry conspiracvy, or even necessarily the idea that a Dublin ref will autmoatically favour a Dublin team.

I also think the stats you've provided here Candystripe are relatively meaningless without being over-layed with the teams we were playing against. We continually register some disappointing results against teams we should be beating over the years, for example. That's why we haven't won the league in 20 years - we're not consistent.

A Harps fan could do a similar analysis of the various refs who've covered the north-west derby, and then conclude that a number of them have a pro-City bias. They don't - it's just that we almost always beat Harps.

Also - what if the Dublin ref was a Bohs fan, and the game concerned was City versus Rovers ? Would the Dub ref still automatically favour the Dub team ?

The refs in our league are poor full-stop. Claiming that their judgements are more the outcome of design than crapness is just giving them more credit than they deserve.
    a derry fan that sees sense i dont know how many times i have had this conversation with derry fans about dublin refs, every time i have to point out the amount of teams and rivalries in dublin and that a ref who was a rovers fan would surely be more likely to favour derry in a derry-bohs match... to no avail though, there seems to be a lot of paranoid people in derry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by topia View Post
    there seems to be a lot of paranoid people in derry!

What?, who said that?

Is a football forum not about disscussing football stats and win rates?

BTW That was an email sent to someone else which was posted on our forum.

I do get what you's are saying and would like to see the stats when we have a non Dublin ref.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Surely not winning the League for 20 years is the definition of consistency, not inconsistency...
    Given we were robbed out of the lesgue on goal difference in 2006 by a Shels team who were demoted months later due to the financial shenanigans that had bought them the league that year, we have been more consistent in that regard than we rightly should have been.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Given we were robbed out of the lesgue on goal difference in 2006 by a Shels team who were demoted months later due to the financial shenanigans that had bought them the league that year, we have been more consistent in that regard than we rightly should have been.....
    You were robbed or weren't good enough? Dublin City may I remind you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Hate to say it but thats pretty funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    (Dublin) Hello/Howaya/Hi

(Whisper) What part of Dublin? That sorta stuff is important.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Wow, I can't wait to see how this thread turns out. No doubt it will transcend all known philosophers and scientific wisdom.

This thing about "Dublin refs reffing games with Dublin teams" is a load of bull. We have to face facts here. Dublin has over 1/4 of the Republic's population. A ref/official is more likely to be from Dublin than any other specific part of the country. Finally, do non-Dubliners REALLY think that a ref from Donabate or Ballsbridge is likely to favour St. Pats in a game against Sligo Rovers? He might never have been in Inchicore in his life!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast