Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twigg: Irish sides on par with Scots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Now let me weigh up your contribution against the views of the footballer who actually plays in the LOI and has recently played against SPL teams .....

.... Tough call but I think Twigg's views carry more weight.
    In friendlies, wasn't it? UCD beat Dundee United in a friendly last year but I don't think we're as good as them.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    In friendlies, wasn't it?
    Yes, in friendlies. Doesn't invalidate all of his opinion though!
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know what this list would look like if we excluded (a) penalties, and (b) scored direct from free?
    There's only been three direct from frees, Killian Brennan twice and Colin Healy.

For a few more on the scorers list.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1864/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    What happened to the days when we had an up to date fixtures thread (and website!)?
    Jesus, don't start Harpo off again!

I don't think the website ever carried LSL fixtures. It's Sunday at 2pm.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Thanks for the input.

Now let me weigh up your contribution against the views of the footballer who actually plays in the LOI and has recently played against SPL teams .....

He is hardly gonna say this is the worst league he`s played in and weather players views carry more weight than the people who watch mmmm Im not sure about that.You cant compare leagues without looking at the whole picture ie grounds and how things are run off the park and as for admin FAI V SFA dont make me laugh.In pure football terms our sides are nowhere near the level of the SPL sides in terms of ball retention ,fitness and coaching standards .
    Last edited by RoversHead; 20/05/2009 at 2:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Care to clarify which SPL teams the former Second Division Brechin City player has played against competitively.....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    While I don't think LoI is as good as SPL, Twigg has suggested that the reason for scoring more goals is being surrounded by better players, which would be reasonable enough.
    Being surrounded by better players who enable you to score goals would also equate with being surrounded by better defenders who help stop you scoring those goals, though.

Let's not forget that Rovers are only 4th in the table - suggesting that on-balance the players there to stop Twigg scoring are better at their jobs than the players there to help him score.

So his suggestion just doesn't stack up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Money.
    What money would there be in a pairing of Rhyl v Cliftonville or Aberdeen v Crusaders ?

Where would that money come from ? The footballing public in countries like both parts of Ireland or Wales, who repeatedly show that they just don't care about their domestic football ? The Scottish footballing public, who would see the fixtures as no better than friendlies against a Scottish First Division side ? The Setanta broadcasting business that is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy....?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Jasus DCFCSTEVE your on a roll here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Thanks for the input.

I'm with Rovers head on this one. Anybody who thinks Bohs, Cork, Derry would hold their own consistently in the Scottish Premier, outside the old firm is dreaming. We might look down on Motherwell or Falkirk, but they are much bigger clubs than us - infrastructure, administration, underage structure, support, finance. Indeed, if you compare populations, and exclude Glasgow, ireland and scotland are roughly similar in population but their clubs are miles ahead - Aberdeen average over 10000 per game, yet only 212000 population.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    In pure football terms our sides are nowhere near the level of the SPL sides in terms of ball retention ,fitness and coaching standards .
    I would seriously disagree regarding our top teams.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I would seriously disagree regarding our top teams.
    i think hes right

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Well watch Bohs and Drogs on friday night ,the ball will spend more time in the air than on the deck,count the times the keepers give the ball to the full backs and have a look at the passing sequences as in how long each side keeps the ball before giving it away .The set pieces will either be a shot over the bar or a hoof into the box.Throw ins will be comical as both sides will struggle to create space and resort to the schoolboy down the line stuff.Finally count the players who can use both feet.Two banks of four and two up front Drogs may go one up with five in middle as they feel inferior.Light years behind the rest of the coaching world,how many Irish coaches in demand abroad?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoversHead View Post
    Well watch Bohs and Drogs on friday night ,the ball will spend more time in the air than on the deck,count the times the keepers give the ball to the full backs and have a look at the passing sequences as in how long each side keeps the ball before giving it away .The set pieces will either be a shot over the bar or a hoof into the box.Throw ins will be comical as both sides will struggle to create space and resort to the schoolboy down the line stuff.Finally count the players who can use both feet.Two banks of four and two up front Drogs may go one up with five in middle as they feel inferior.Light years behind the rest of the coaching world,how many Irish coaches in demand abroad?
    Sounds like most of the English and Scottish Premier league games that grace our television screens each week to be honest. Two footed players and keepers using their fullbacks is an all too rare thing in these Isles, it has a lot to do with the aggressive style of play with teams pressing right up the pitch. Continental teams are much happier to allow the opposition to play out from the back and only press in their own half.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Being surrounded by better players who enable you to score goals would also equate with being surrounded by better defenders who help stop you scoring those goals, though.

Let's not forget that Rovers are only 4th in the table - suggesting that on-balance the players there to stop Twigg scoring are better at their jobs than the players there to help him score.

So his suggestion just doesn't stack up.
    Actually your logic IMO is 'fuzzy'.... what actually counts is the fact that the Rovers players he's surrounded by are better than the Brechin players...thus he gets a much higher number of chances and hence more goals (assuming he converts the chances) .

So even if the quality of defender is better (which is a separate debate) Twigg's suggestion that he's scoring more goals on account of being surrounded by better players does stack up ... the referecne to Rovers being in 4th place is of no relevence to this particualr debate as Rovers could be in last place and Twigg could still have scored 10 goals

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Sounds like most of the English and Scottish Premier league games that grace our television screens each week to be honest. Two footed players and keepers using their fullbacks is an all too rare thing in these Isles, it has a lot to do with the aggressive style of play with teams pressing right up the pitch. Continental teams are much happier to allow the opposition to play out from the back and only press in their own half.
    Most defenders in our league cant pass water and ball controll is the worst Ive seen anywhere thats why it pays to press them ,on the continent it pays to let them have it because two strikers pressing four players who are comfortable on the ball is waste of energy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    does anyone really care?? also what is all this comparison bullcrap. On their day drogs took dynamo kiev to the wire, did anyone see that coming? so to say that we couldnt compete is silly.

also i would like to add that if any of our top 4 got the revenue of celtic and rangers visiting our club twice a year we would not be talking about the revenue commisioner every week.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why on earth would Aberdeen/Dundee

If the LoI is as good as the SPL, it begs the question why Twigg's scoring record is better in the LoI than it was in the Scottish Division Two.

Kevin Doyle's scoring average with Reading in the Premier League was about the same as his LOI average with Cork. LOI equal to Premier League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Kevin Doyle's scoring average with Reading in the Premier League was about the same as his LOI average with Cork. LOI equal to Premier League?
    No, he just has better players around him at Reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Best thread in ages.

FACT.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast