Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: England's bid for 2018 World Cup

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts

England's bid for 2018 World Cup

I wonder should Ireland support this if we're offered at least a group qualifying round in the Aviva Stadium and Croke Park or would that mean we wouldn't have to pre-qualify as well (like Korea/Japan).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I wonder should Ireland support this if we're offered at least a group qualifying round in the Aviva Stadium and Croke Park or would that mean we wouldn't have to pre-qualify as well (like Korea/Japan)
    There are no plans to stage games in any cities outside England, according to the bid organisers.

If it's to be in Europe, I'd prefer Spain. Although England's facilities are better now, Spain's better for a sun tan.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I wonder should Ireland support this if we're offered at least a group qualifying round in the Aviva Stadium and Croke Park or would that mean we wouldn't have to pre-qualify as well (like Korea/Japan).
    2018!!! - Owen Coyle should most likely be our Manager by then.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    The Deadline for bids is in under 2 months, on 14th May, and the final decision for both 2018 and 2022 will take place on 2nd December 2010

The rotation of the World Cup has been changed from formally selecting one continent each time to now just blocking a continent from holding 2 world cups within 12 years (ie there has to be a 2 world cup gap). This means there can be no African bid for 2018 (due to this years one being held in South Africa), and no South American bid for either 2018 or 2022 (due to Brazil 2014).

Additionally whichever continent wins for 2018 cannot then have the 2022 World Cup. People are predicting a European host for 2018 (possibly England) which means another European nation (e.g. Russia) cannot get it for 2022.

Bids

The bids are as follows (unlikely to change between now and May)

For 2018 and 2022

Australia
    Dutch / Belgians
    England
    Japan
    Russia
    Spain / Portugal
    USA

For 2022 only
    South Korea
    Qatar

It's very hard to predict who will get it. I would be suprised if Japan or Korea got 2018 so soon after 2002, even 2020 would be a pretty small gap. Neither country is especially cheap to visit (though Korea is more affordable than Japan) but that will probably not be a huge factor in Blatter's decision. I don't think the bid from Qatar is credible, the climate will be intense (40 deg. in summer), the overall size of the country is 4400 square miles, (less than Mayo and Sligo put together) - can they really fit 10 venues (stadiums, hotels, rail etc) into such a compact place ?

I think Australia are in with a great chance, probably for 2022, as they are IMO the only credible Asian (AFC) bidder who has not held a World Cup before. Additionally they have a decent level of ability on the field, being one of the strongest teams in their federation so it would not be a case of a potentially disasterous early exit for the host nation. The USA are also in with a chance for 2022 as it will have been 5 tournaments since the 1994 World Cup (France, Japan/Korea, Germany, South Africa, and 2018). Though there are questions over the American economy, most of the stadiums are already built, and infrastructure is already viable - with the exception of public transport.

I would guess that the 2018 tournament will go to a European nation, and would imagine that single nation bids would be favoured, so I could see the English or - at an outside bet - the Russians getting the bid. Of the joint bids, I would think Spain / Portugal would be a better bet than the Dutch and Belgian bid, there are enough large urban centers in Iberia (Lisbon, Oporto, Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla, Valencia) with quality stadiums and masses of hotels. I would fear that the Dutch and Belgians dont quite have this level of infrastructure - do they even have a 80,000+ stadium ? Additionally once you go past the Amsterdam Arena, De Kuip in Rotterdam, and Badouin in Brussels there are few world class Stadiums (e.g. Phillipstadion in Eindhoven is pretty average and wouldnt be fitting for a semi final).

I could see England in 2018 and Australia in 2022 as likely destinations.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    What could Ireland possibly bring to an English World Cup bid?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I don't think we would add anything to a bid, but I'd like the FAI to vote (if they are on the voting council) for a European bid as it would be much easier for fans to attend, and of the European bids, from an Irish fans perspective England, probably followed by Spain / Portugal would be the easiest to attend.

After USA 1994, and Japan Korea 2002, it would be nice to qualify for a World Cup that wouldnt break the bank in terms of fans cost. If we make it to Brazil in 2014 it will be very expensive given the cost of flights (and internal flights) and decent digs (which is expensive in Rio and especially Sao Paolo as saftey is a massive issue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Why have Spain & Portugal done a joint bid, it seems madness to me that Spain would need a partner. Surely they would have more than enough stadiums for them to use.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think they were maybe 1-2 stadiums short of 10.

From what I've read FIFA are happy to have one city host two venues (e.g. London could have the Emirates and Wembley, Paris Stade de France and Parc de Princes, Joburg Soccer City and Ellis Park) but they are very reluctant to allow two cities to have two venues (e.g. London could share as above whereas Liverpool couldnt share Anfield and Goodison) - also you generally can't have one city hosting more than two venues (but this rule can be fudged, e.g. there are two in Joburg, but also one in Pretoria, which isn't that far from Joburg and shares many infrastructure facilities (airports etc), or in Germany with Schalke, Dortmund and Cologne).

With Spain you have 3 decent stadiums in Barcelona (Nou Camp, El Prat [Espanyol], and Montjuic Olympic [old Espanyol]), Madrid 2 (Bernabeu and new Atletico), Sevilla 3 [Carjuta - used for the 2003 UEFA final], Betis's [Manual Ruis de Lopera], Sevilla [Sanchez Pizjuan], though the latter 2 need a bit of work). A few cities like Valencia, Elche, Bilbao, San Sebastian would need work, but in Lisbon and Oporto they would have 3 ready made stadiums and would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I did thank that might be an issue but even so
    2 in Madrid
    1 in Barca
    1 in Valencia
    1 in Sevilla
    half way there and little or no work needed
    Throw in Deportivo, Zaragoza & Bilbao who all play in 30k+ stadiums which wouldn't need a huge amount done and you're 80% of the way with a smal (ish) outlay.
    I don't like the idea of multi hosted events, even in the RWC which has been much better when held in one country.

The Jo'burg/Pretoria point is a good one, it's a complete fudge because they are an hour apart and despite there being a small airport servicing Pretoria it's OT that's used for 99% of traffic.
    Better to call the new Espanyol ground something that implies it's in a different city & take the FIFA boys to the ground using one of the Ryan Air Airports, they'll think they're miles from Barcelona when they touch down!
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I would have liked to have seen Croke Park included in the bid. I know it would never happen but it would be great to see Croker host one group, one or two second round matches, and even one quarter final. Would have been magic, especially if FIFA had relaxed the rules regarding the Hill.

I think our best bet would be a joint Euro bid with Scotland sometime in the future. We'd get one or two groups, they get the rest. It will never happen though.