Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Rules re: players gambling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Rules re: players gambling?

I posted this in another thread, but only just realised it was confined to the St Pats forum so thought I might be able to get a better answer here.

I was just wondering what the rules are re: betting? I thought/presumed players were banend from betting on themselves or their own team completely, so I'm fairly surprised to see at least one player currently on have on their Facebook status that they had made money on themselves scoring in a particular game?

Not that it was a huge amount that he's bragging about winning, or that there was any hint of anything nefarious going on, just seems a little stupid to post to your facebook about it...then again maybe its not illegal/forbidden ?? Were the rules ever clarified after the Dempsey/Pats mess at the tail end of last season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fairly sure you're not allowed place a bet on any competition that you have direct influence on, or insider knowledge of (which sounds like a very gray area)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    That's what I would have thought. The player I'm talking about has a facebook update saying he won x amount because he scored, underneath someone mentions that's probably illegal so he then clarifies that he didn't put the bet on himself. Then if you click to one of his friends pages he clearly says he had money on himself If the rules really are that he can't bet on himself, how stupid can you be announcing it the world?!
    Last edited by Jicked; 18/05/2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stupid footballers are as freely available as flavoured johnnies in Amsterdam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Could it just have been a bet with one of his mates? Or did he specifically say he bet with William Hill or something? There's probably still a regulation against it, but I'd say a blind eye is turned if he wants to put a €20 bet on with a mate of his, as well as it being almost impossible to enforce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't see anything wrong with what that player did. Now, if he layed that then it would be a different matter altogether.
    Who Cares?!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say he regrets accepting your friend invitation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Could it just have been a bet with one of his mates? Or did he specifically say he bet with William Hill or something? There's probably still a regulation against it, but I'd say a blind eye is turned if he wants to put a €20 bet on with a mate of his, as well as it being almost impossible to enforce
    Nah, he specifically says he went to the bookies to pick up his winnings.

I'd say he regrets accepting your friend invitation.
    I didn't even have to have any friend request accepted, he didn't even have the smarts to set his profile to private! I could explain how I came across it, it was purely innocent and not some sort of elaborate sting operation I mounted, but I wont explain as I don't particularly want to reveal who the player is since his only crime is naivety/stupidity!

I don't see anything wrong with what that player did. Now, if he layed that then it would be a different matter altogether.
    I agree completely, but just wondered what the rules were as I was pretty sure any betting on a game you're involved in is against the rules. Not that there's any harm in him having a punt on himself on betfair before heading to the game, just seems more than a little silly to go on the record online that you did so when we all know how the FAI love an oul fine or suspension.
    Last edited by Jicked; 18/05/2009 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Jicked's elaborate sting operation: Day 5

Jicked sits in his car, rain lashing against the windows. It's been hours. Collar pulled up around his face, he waits for the quarry he knows will come. The lights of Stan James reflect off the wet tarmac, "God I hate this damned dirty city" mutters the grizzled Jicked to himself, "For every one I haul off the streets, there's two more waiting to take their place".

Suddenly, a movement out of the alley beside the bookies. A figure emerges, hunched against the weather, looks both ways, and scurries into the bookies'. Jicked looks at the photo in his hand even though he doesn't need to. This is the one. This is the man he's been after.

"Gotcha, punk", he snarls, and starts up the engine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Close...you've failed to mention a bottle of scotch in my top drawer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Jicked's elaborate sting operation: Day 7

Bottle of scotch on the table, getting empty now. The cigarette in the other, clouds of smoke float up to the fan in the ceiling. Photos on the desk, faces, betting slips. The stoolie from Inchicore hadn't told him much, and then Kenna's boys had got to him. The Saints gang ran that part of town, and they didn't take kindly to lowlives like Peschisolido talking to ex-cops like Jicked.

"There's gotta be a goddamn connection", Jicked growls, and sweeps them all off onto the floor. Suddenly he sees something in the background of one of the photos.

"You dirty rotten...", and he grabs his .45 magnum from the drawer as he runs to the door. Someone was gonna pay...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Not that there's any harm in him having a punt on himself on betfair before heading to the game, just seems more than a little silly to go on the record online that you did so when we all know how the FAI love an oul fine or suspension.
    That means he'll be more likely to try and score himself, rather than trying for the team to score.
    It's against the rules, and IMO, you should report him (take screen prints too).

That sort of stuff is rife in the IL, it's not the sort of thing we should tolerate in the LoI.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a common thing in the LOI. Players are just stupid if they place the bet themselves.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    No femme fatale, Peadar? For shame!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Jicked's elaborate sting operation: Day 11

She walked into the office like she owned the place. This dame meant business, "I hear you're trying to get to the bottom of this business with the Saints gang".

Red lipstick, black hat, body to kill for, the broad could be the one thing that wasn't crooked about this town, or she could be in Kenna's pocket.

"What's it to ya?"

"The name's Brady. I have information that can lead you to Big Jeff"

Jicked had heard of her alright. Big wheel in an organisation out East.

"How do I know I can trust ya? We all know you worked for the Sullivan-Gold gang. How can I be sure you're not just gonna sell me down the river before we cross the Luas tracks?"

"That kid Peschisolido. We had a thing. Were thinking of trying to get out of the business, maybe starting a family. Paulie's dead, Jicked. Went off the Ha'penny bridge with a bullet in his brain. The cops take their orders from Richmond, everyone knows that. You're my last chance."

She was either tellin' the truth, or she was one hell of a liar.

"Okay Brady, I'm in, but any funny business and you're on your own. And in this neighbourhood, if Kenna doesn't find ya, the Shams will, and what they do to nice dames like you ain't pretty."

"Cut the Brady crap Jicked. I let the boys I like call me Karen"

And she walked right out of the room in a way Jicked knew meant trouble...