Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were a multimillionaire...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shefellover93 View Post
    I would buy a part of the club for myself and a part for FORAS. I don't think a sugardaddy is a problem once the fans have a big say in the way the club was run. I'd take Bishopstown off ur man McCarthy and finish the job that was started in the early 90's. Spend a bit on good parking facilities, as well as public transport links. I'd keep most of the squad the way it is now (Good chemistry between the players) and buy two top class strikers. I'd turn Bishopstown into a 15k all covered area with a safe terraced area that could hold around 4-5k. I'd get planning permission for the surronding wasteland with the ambition to extend the stadium. I'd buy the Farm pitches off the UCD and develop a youth centre of excellence there. Hold summer camps and open training sessions with the manager/players for some cash.

Up to FORAS then what to do with the money. Invest some of the money, give some to charity and keep the rest
    Don't know if you've noticed but the site at Bishopstown is small, couldn't be made bigger than the Cross because the Greyhound Stadium is right next to it, but if a stadium was built on the other side of the Bypass then the training ground & stadium would be right next to each other, and it would get good publicity if the stadium looked good.

I thought the Bishopstown training centre had been sold to Atlantic Homecare because there was a big sign for the company at the back of the stand for well over a year.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I would look into setting up a Clare team based in Newmarket-on-Fergus , add a stand , knock the school next door and set-up an academy and hotel. As knocking the school way cause a few raised eyebrows and some indignation, I would give The GAA a few bob and take over Cusack Park in Ennis , develop the grounds , and sit back and look forward to the local derbies with a team stacked with brazilians from Gort , Poles from Ireland and Nigerians from Ennis with a few mates thrown in for the laugh.

My other choice would be to take over an exsisting english team like Millwall and move them to Clare and do a deal with Ryanair. The weekends in Ennis would be lively.
    Last edited by First; 18/05/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    I'll update this next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I would keep my money and run for my own sanity.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

rerun
    Sadly no. I'd say it would be the quickest way to wave goodbye to your money. Most clubs seem to be unable to manage the off-pitch side of things ( and some on pitch but that's beside the point) and the Irish public have no interest in domestic football, they'd much rather puff their chest out at how well "we" did winning the EPL/SPL this season.
    If I had the cash, I'd much rather put it towards building some decent infrastructure for my club but not owning it, say for instance a modest size well provisioned stand or two with changing facilities, and some conference facilities, club shop, office and social club (not necessarily just a bar). The same heads would be in charge, but at least they'd not be getting blank cheque to blow in wages (not looking at anyone in particular), but give the club the possibility of developing it themselves. Teach a man to fish and all that.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post
    Sadly no. I'd say it would be the quickest way to wave goodbye to your money. Most clubs seem to be unable to manage the off-pitch side of things ( and some on pitch but that's beside the point) and the Irish public have no interest in domestic football, they'd much rather puff their chest out at how well "we" did winning the EPL/SPL this season.
    If I had the cash, I'd much rather put it towards building some decent infrastructure for my club but not owning it, say for instance a modest size well provisioned stand or two with changing facilities, and some conference facilities, club shop, office and social club (not necessarily just a bar). The same heads would be in charge, but at least they'd not be getting blank cheque to blow in wages (not looking at anyone in particular), but give the club the possibility of developing it themselves. Teach a man to fish and all that.
    pretty much my thinking i wouldnt get totally involved but as you say something long term and worthwhile other than wages

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'd hand all of it over to Roddy Collins, I'm sure he'd know how to spend it wisely.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Would you not want a Civil Engineer for that?
    i have no idea, id get in someone anyway who knew a thing or two about acoustics

obvioulsy id need to buy Turners Cross first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would buy the club and ban drums from the 30,000 half seated half terraced stadium I would build.Also no prawn sandwiches would get in for free.Also I would hire a good security firm rather than power trip express.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Would finance a 20,000 stadium in miltown next to the luas viaduct and return shamrock rovers to there spirtual home.Keep tallaght stadium and develope a youth acedmy there.

Before all this i would take over ownership of Limerick F.C buy markets field in Limerick and develope it into a 10,000 capacity stadium.Return the club to premier divison before returning it as a fan's owned club.

If only I had dolores mcnamara's millions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Don't know if you've noticed but the site at Bishopstown is small, couldn't be made bigger than the Cross because the Greyhound Stadium is right next to it, but if a stadium was built on the other side of the Bypass then the training ground & stadium would be right next to each other, and it would get good publicity if the stadium looked good.

I thought the Bishopstown training centre had been sold to Atlantic Homecare because there was a big sign for the company at the back of the stand for well over a year.
    To be fair, there isn't much space on the greyhound Stadium site. But behind the goal at the Ovens end is a huge space, there's a good bit of space on the Bishopstown side and there's space where the car park is now. If I was multi-millionare then what would stop me from buying land? Possibly put the stadium where to the fields are now at the farm (Big space there) and use the Bishopstown space for a Car Park, possibly mingle it with the greyhound one and create a hige park that could be used for both and the costs shared

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shefellover93 View Post
    To be fair, there isn't much space on the greyhound Stadium site. But behind the goal at the Ovens end is a huge space, there's a good bit of space on the Bishopstown side and there's space where the car park is now. If I was multi-millionare then what would stop me from buying land? Possibly put the stadium where to the fields are now at the farm (Big space there) and use the Bishopstown space for a Car Park, possibly mingle it with the greyhound one and create a hige park that could be used for both and the costs shared
    Actually yeah that's a good idea and would be better next to the Greyhound Stadium than across the road from it. The stadium definitely couldn't be built on the current site, though. Maybe further down past the Greyhound Car Park would be a good site.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    Actually yeah that's a good idea and would be better next to the Greyhound Stadium than across the road from it. The stadium definitely couldn't be built on the current site, though. Maybe further down past the Greyhound Car Park would be a good site.
    If only *sigh*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Id buy a club, go up into the gantry with a gun and target the one on the field with the whistle.
    Last edited by Dunny; 19/05/2009 at 3:54 PM.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If I won the euro millions at say e125m. I buy Bohs, disband the current board and membership committee and set up and new board ie chairman, ceo and executive board members. And set out to clean up the debts. Look into getting the best sponsorships and promotions to get money and fans into the club.

Secondly, I'll pump in around e2.5m-e3m into the squad for wages, transfer fees and signing on fees. Also put money into setting up a youth academy al la Ajax in the hope of getting the best young players in the country and keeping them at home or selling them on for a nice profit.

Thirdly, I look into trying to redevelop Dalymount Park into a 8,000-10,000 seater stadium and build a state of the art training ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I think if you won a lot (euromillions 50m+ level) it would be fun and handled sensibly it wouldn't have to just be a black hole, if you won 2/3m then it's pointless as you really should be investing most of your winnings to generate a proper future income.
    By handled properly I mean investing in a proper youth accademy so you could offer a real viable alternative to 16 year olds and then profit on the sale of the better ones, clubs like Crewe are a good model to follow. There is only so much one indivisual/club can do within the league to drag it forward but you would need to try to get some input in the leagues marketing, egt your own club marketed properly and then get the league to follow suit.
    To make it economically viable I think I would look at a club with a large catchment area outside of Dublin, Cork, Galway or Limerick or possibly Kildare, cheaper to buy into than a Dublin club but the smaller provincial towns just don't have the catchment areas to draw 10,000 regularly.
    Ground ownership is an issue, Cork & Galway have long term agreements with their local associations which would I imagine be difficult (and expensive) to break, buying a club and then having to build a greenfield stadium would make it too expensive.
    The field of possible clubs is shortening by the second....

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    As has been pointed out unless you're winning vast amounts it's probably just a massive waste to put anything into a league of Ireland club. If I won 100 million in the Euromillions I'd certainly have a chat with Mick Wallace about helping to finish the stadium in Wexford, I'd also look to maybe get invloved full time with the club, looking to develop the commercial side, promoting it in the community.
    I'd also offer my services to SDCC/Shamrock Rovers to help finish the stadium on all four sides. I certainly wouldn't offer nay money towards wages or first team development, it's all go towards facilities and developing academies.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

rerun
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    If I won the euro millions at say e125m. I buy Bohs, disband the current board and membership committee and set up and new board ie chairman, ceo and executive board members. And set out to clean up the debts. Look into getting the best sponsorships and promotions to get money and fans into the club.

Secondly, I'll pump in around e2.5m-e3m into the squad for wages, transfer fees and signing on fees. Also put money into setting up a youth academy al la Ajax in the hope of getting the best young players in the country and keeping them at home or selling them on for a nice profit.

Thirdly, I look into trying to redevelop Dalymount Park into a 8,000-10,000 seater stadium and build a state of the art training ground.
    Just wondering why every LOI club/fan has a fantasy about building a 10,000 seat stadium. I mean, lets get real (and I know this is a fun thread), who fills their ground week in week out? Are you catering for when you qualify for the CL group stages and you get to play Barca at home? Perhaps if clubs reigned themselves in a bit and focused on building a modest stadium, say 5-6000 seats with some decent supporting infrastructure the dreams might have more of a chance of becoming a reality. There's no fun sitting or playing in a 10,000 stadium that's not even half full. Then again, if you won €125M in the Euromillions, I suppose you could pay folk to go to the games

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    If I won the euro millions at say e125m. I...set out to clean up the debts.
    You're broke just there.

Celbridge aka C-Bridge aka The CBDG/Leeson Street
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd use the dosh to get my local schoolboy team into the LoI for the craic. Mainly though blackmail the other league clubs into running themselves properly. Guarantee to pay off competing clubs debts if they followed the wages cap and all other sound advice yokes. It may help competitors but attracting players to the league that youre club is in is half the battle. Improve that and haway the lads! Imagine Fernando Torres was about to sign for Bohs dreaming of playing at the likes of Turners Cross then he finds out they have gone bust and instead he has to go play at UCD as their replacement.

No offence UCD!
    "Football's not a matter of life and death... its much more important than that"

http://pintofunspecific.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You're broke just there.
    Good one.

You're right about about the 10,000 seater stadia rerun. It's something that's burned into the mind of LOI fans that you must build a stadium for 10,000 even though you get maybe 2,500-3,000 on a good day. 5-6,000 seater with a view to build up to 8-10,000 depending on how successful you are would be the way I go come to think about it now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast