Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were a multimillionaire...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    You'd need billions and resign yourself to losing most of the money you invest.

I'd buy every club in League of Ireland and start restructuring and changing the way they operate. I'd create under-age structures in all the clubs, and I have an agreement between the sides, where they would play each other regularly from the youngest age group to under 16 without any league tables or trophies. It would be purely a talent development league.

The senior league, I'd build 12 new 10,000 seater stadiums, which could be expanded. I'd force clubs in close proximity to share. I'd then create a League of Ireland TV Station running 24-7. I'd create a web presence that would be unrivalled in it's comprehensive coverage. I'd make sure the games where covered with multiple camera points and force the public to feel like by not going to a game was to be missing out.

In summary, I'd throw as much cash to ensure the standard of player was second to none and that the league was unmissable :

LOL
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I am not sure buying a current League of Ireland would be my preference, I would prefer to setup a new club/or current junior club, build a decent stadium, constantly advertise to the locals. Another thing, I would would want local players to play for the team with the exception of two or three star players that played in the league. And build it up from there. I am sure a lot of problems would happen along the way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I am not sure buying a current League of Ireland would be my preference, I would prefer to setup a new club/or current junior club, build a decent stadium, constantly advertise to the locals. Another thing, I would would want local players to play for the team with the exception of two or three star players that played in the league. And build it up from there. I am sure a lot of problems would happen along the way
    Your last sentence makes it sound like the pitch for a TV programme!

"This week on TheBoss F.C. ..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Well, the league at the moment is a bit of a soap opera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Id donate enough money to FORAS to allow us to take over the club, one millionaire owner is just as bad as another, the club should be owned by the fans.

I'd then look to develop a proper training facility with astro etc to rent as a source of income.

Id buy the cross and do a bit more with it, including some safe terracing, decent club shop in the ground etc.

Id hope those in charge would start building from youth academies, improve relationships with local clubs, have a max wage of 1000euro(and limited amount on that).

Apart from capital expenditure and advertising money in would equal money out so that the club is in good shape for whoever runs it later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That is like Mick Wallace is doing with Wexford Youths on a smaller budget.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Your last sentence makes it sound like the pitch for a TV programme!

"This week on TheBoss F.C. ..."
    "...with sexy results..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Start a team called Dublin Rovers, you would have to play in one of the following Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow market the club saying,real Oirish connections, a little bit of religious bigotry, get one of your oirish players with dubious heritage playing on the Republic side. finally see if Roy is available sit back and watch it roll in until Roy throws a tantrum.Sell up quickly siting disillusionment with agents, write a book, spend the rest of your time after-dinner speaking telling jokes and your experiences of owning a football club Easy Peasy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Depends on how much of multimillionaire I was.

If by some bizzare twist of events I came into ownership of Tolka or Dalymount and could sell up no questions asked I redevelop the Brandy, if a purpose built facility at Fort George was a non-runner.

If I found myself with the only winning ticket for the biggest ever euromillions jackpot. I'd go to the fai with lots of money and lots of strings.

Prize funds for next 5 years (3-5 times bigger), matched by money for junior clubs grants.

They have to implement a proper pyramid structure.

A cash injection for all clubs, the 65% wage should thereafter be based on the previous season's financials [Past Performance May Not Be Indicative of Future Results ...] (+(in certain circumstances) any readily available assets)

Rest of the monies set aside for stadium and youth development, to be distributed by fai
    Think they should give the job of distributing the grants to gareth

[oh no, i sound like celtictiger ]

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Any chance we can bring back intelligent debate in place of ridiculous threads like this?
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Nobody's forcing you to read this. If it was really a pointless and ridiculous thread, nobody would have engaged with it. If you really have a problem with it, talk to the mods and see if they delete it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I didn't read it, i just read the title and that was enough. This should be consigned to the "fantasy rubbish with no relevance to actual football" section, some people would say thats Off Topic but i say it's rubbish.
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Bowsie View Post
    This should be consigned to the "fantasy rubbish with no relevance to actual football" section.
    The Bohs section?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Torn.

Thought about it many a time with Galway Utd.Obviously id have EVERY check accounted for(especially dealing with Nick Leeson).
    I'd be torn between building a brand new stadium on the outskirts of the city or putting up a new stand at the end opposite the clubhouse where the car park is.Also a new terraced section where The Shed use to be and re-develop the "old stand".That would take the capacity to near or above 10,000.I'd also either buy Salthill Devon's "Drom" training complex or else build a totally new one.
    You have to face the facts though,MOST(or just some if done right) of the money you put into your club you will never see again,shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis The Red View Post
    Can you own two clubs??? (I'm not very good with money).
    I think UEFA has restrictions on that in european competitions, but I'm not certain.

Multimillionare is a pretty broad term. If I had three or four million total, definitely not: it'd make no impact at all. If I had a personal fortune sufficient to throw 20+ million away with no chance of a return, then maybe. It's not like there aren't better causes though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I wouldnt buy Mons coz you cant as it is community owned, but I would pay all the first team bills and develop the ground so that all money from gate and fundraising/sponsorship could go into the development of juveniles.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I think UEFA has restrictions on that in european competitions, but I'm not certain.
    They do, yeah, although it may be limited to having to dispose of your ownership in one or other club before they meet.

You can't buy UCD, but if you could, I'd put the money on deposit and pass the deposit interest onto the club, less an amount to increase the amount on deposit in accordance with inflation. The club would want it that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Fantasy Football

Buying a LOI club would be the best way to blow millions & see nothing for it, but thats the problem when your blinded by the love of your club.

If I did win €125 miilion on the Euromillions, I would (against all common sense) buy Kilkenny City & bring them back into the league. Obvivously, (just like everyone else seems to agree on) improve all fascilities, youth development structures and improving the involvment of the club in the community, advertising, etc, etc...

& then bring them to Champions league within 5 years!! Only joking, I be more than happy just to be competing in the top 5 in the Premier Division each year & the odd trip to europe would be good.
    "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

wow.

Wow,talk about throwing money away.Buying Kilkenny and turning them into a top 5 club.Although as you rightly said you ARE blinded by the love of your club,most ppl would do the same if they loved them that much,or would they??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I would buy a part of the club for myself and a part for FORAS. I don't think a sugardaddy is a problem once the fans have a big say in the way the club was run. I'd take Bishopstown off ur man McCarthy and finish the job that was started in the early 90's. Spend a bit on good parking facilities, as well as public transport links. I'd keep most of the squad the way it is now (Good chemistry between the players) and buy two top class strikers. I'd turn Bishopstown into a 15k all covered area with a safe terraced area that could hold around 4-5k. I'd get planning permission for the surronding wasteland with the ambition to extend the stadium. I'd buy the Farm pitches off the UCD and develop a youth centre of excellence there. Hold summer camps and open training sessions with the manager/players for some cash.

Up to FORAS then what to do with the money. Invest some of the money, give some to charity and keep the rest

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast