Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want barstoolers in the LOI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Do you want barstoolers in the LOI?

I was discussing this with someone on another forum, and he said essentially that the LOI was a ****e standard, had a crap atmosphere, and even if people did want to go, LOI supporters would treat them with contempt for being blow-ins.

In my experience, people are happy to have you at a game, and won't generally judge you because you don't know who the short lad on the right wing is.

The question is, if some miracle of marketing swept across the country, and it suddenly became cool to support the LOI, with 5-figure attendances not-uncommon, would you be happy at the success of the league, or resent all the people who used to be barstoolers?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Pointless question IMO, it's like asking the church if they want atheists at mass. They wouldn't be atheists anymore.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Id be happy, more money/interest for the clubs. Can't be bad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ridiculous question. Once they go to games they instantly stop becoming barstoolers.

The more the merrier. Its not as if everyone going to games at the moment is a top class supporter.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I was discussing this with someone on another forum, and he said essentially that the LOI was a ****e standard, had a crap atmosphere, and even if people did want to go, LOI supporters would treat them with contempt for being blow-ins.

In my experience, people are happy to have you at a game, and won't generally judge you because you don't know who the short lad on the right wing is.

The question is, if some miracle of marketing swept across the country, and it suddenly became cool to support the LOI, with 5-figure attendances not-uncommon, would you be happy at the success of the league, or resent all the people who used to be barstoolers?
    Resent? Are you joking?

I'm sure Munster and Leinster are pis*ed off with all the "new" fans they've got over the years.

I only dream of that day happening in the LOI!
    Forzadrogs.....A blog by a Drog with an opinion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    LOI supporters would treat them with contempt for being blow-ins.
    How on earth can you tell someone's a blow-in?

It's an excuse, simple as. Yet another flimsy, unreasonable, unjustifiable excuse.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    even if people did want to go, LOI supporters would treat them with contempt for being blow-ins.
    That's just the latest bs excuse people used, especially when standards were higher and decent euro results were coming. It doesn't stop them going to UK games where they are generally despised.

I would say the opposite is the case in anyway, with new fans welcomed. But they don't let the facts get in the way of an excuse.

We've a long way to go before the issues that'd cause resentment, like getting into the ground and massive price hikes on the back of it, would even raise their head.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    How on earth can you tell someone's a blow-in?
    When I started, it was fairly obvious I was new because I didn't know who any of the players were, and had to ask the people around me.

I'll be honest, one of my main motives for starting this thread was to give your man some evidence he was talking through his hole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    When I started, it was fairly obvious I was new because I didn't know who any of the players were, and had to ask the people around me.
    I remember being the same. I'm sure most people were like that at first, except for people who first came as kids who probably experienced it differently. People are nice to newcommers in my experience.

As someone else pointed out above, the hardcore fans of the big teams in England have no time at all for the blow ins - understandable really, as they make tickets expensive and hard to get.

Actually, we probably have case studies here: Dundalk, Sligo, Longford, Drogheda and Cork have all seen substantial increases in attendences based on successes in recent memory. Any stories of resentment there? I've not heard any.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,231 Posts
    Never really made it hard to get tickets at those grounds, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    When I started, it was fairly obvious I was new because I didn't know who any of the players were, and had to ask the people around me
    Which means you've played into the hands of most football fans, and indeed most men.

There's nothing we like more than the feeling on knowing more than somebody else about something, however fleeting that feeling lasts
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    the more the merrier in my opinion. We cant afford to be w*nkers about it. What i do despise is stuff like the oh-so-predictable 30,000 fans turning up in Lansdowne for Shels Deportivo and never being seen again. It made me sick and confirmed my hatred for our "soccer mad" event junkies....

see also: Irish fans of Celtic showing up en masse to cheers on Larsson (for Helsingborgs??) against Drogheda, whilst booing Drogheda. So they were cheering on a Swedish team who were playing against an Irish team simply because the Swedish team had a swedish player that used to play for a Scottish club.
    A new low.
    Last edited by SkStu; 08/05/2009 at 2:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Never really made it hard to get tickets at those grounds, I suppose.
    Probably not. Certainly not consistently enough to be a major headache.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I think people should be turned away from the grounds if they're played an audio clip of Andy Gray and recognize his voice , That way we can guarantee these filthy barstoolers are prevented from sullying our game with their "money" and "support" which quite frankly are not needed and are an intrusion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I can't believe you invested any part of your life discussing this with someone...!

Do barstoolers walk around with it stamped on their forehead or something ?

Maybe at a club with small crowds it's easier to tell who is a "blow-in" and who isn't, but the idea that they would be instantly visible in the first place, and then subject to scorn in the second, is just daftness to the power of two....!

I've yet to hear of a football club who's fans want to turn away support. Well - not deliberately anyway....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Part.

Part of me resents having to leave 10/15 mins earlier then normal just so i can get my usual seat when theres a (relatively) big game on in Terryland due to larger crowd.A small part does,the rest of me is delighted and slightly amused to hear "go on number 10" from someone around me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No problem at all, as long as they don't start harping on like they know everything and claim they've been fans all their life...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    the more the merrier in my opinion. We cant afford to be w*nkers about it. What i do despise is stuff like the oh-so-predictable 30,000 fans turning up in Lansdowne for Shels Deportivo and never being seen again. It made me sick and confirmed my hatred for our "soccer mad" event junkies....

see also: Irish fans of Celtic showing up en masse to cheers on Larsson (for Helsingborgs??) against Drogheda, whilst booing Drogheda. So they were cheering on a Swedish team who were playing against an Irish team simply because the Swedish team had a swedish player that used to play for a Scottish club.
    A new low.
    perhaps the most pathetic and at the same time disgusting thing I have ever heard. Did the Drogheda fans reply with anything? I wouldn't be aggressive but that kind of thing would have made my blood boil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    perhaps the most pathetic and at the same time disgusting thing I have ever heard. Did the Drogheda fans reply with anything? I wouldn't be aggressive but that kind of thing would have made my blood boil
    "Celtic" fans (from Derry) at the friendly last year to Derry fans: "You're supposed to be at home..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    "Celtic" fans (from Derry) at the friendly last year to Derry fans: "You're supposed to be at home..."
    I hope the reply was something like "You're supposed to be from Derry"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast