Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Padraig Smith in Indo today, predicts ..........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If, come the end of the season, there is a problem with Bohs the FAI will find a way to side step it. Just look at Drogheda United. The case against them getting a premier licence was cast-iron. The FAI got around the fact that United Park isn't fit to host a junior game by relying on the fact that An Bord Pleanala were considering an appeal against a stadium proposal that everybody had given up on.
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redie View Post
    I'd be fairly sure that Rovers are one of the clubs referred to here....“We rejected seven budgets from three clubs, those three clubs came back to us and said, ‘listen you’re right,’ and they adjusted their budgets and in one case a second and third time.
    Pretty sure thats us alright, that is being talked about.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Clubs who he feels will and in his opinion should drop out of "senior soccer" would be how I read it. They don't have the proper structures to allow themselves get millions in debt.
    Yep, which is of course complete nonsense. His opinion is irrelevant when it comes to deciding who should or shouldn't be in senior football, and the smaller clubs aren't the problem at present.

Beginning to like this lad less and less the more others say about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yep, which is of course complete nonsense. His opinion is irrelevant when it comes to deciding who should or shouldn't be in senior football, and the smaller clubs aren't the problem at present.

Beginning to like this lad less and less the more others say about him.
    never met the manbut from speaking to people who have I believehis intentions are entirley hounourable. I think he is trying to work a system that is unworkable
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    never met the manbut from speaking to people who have I believehis intentions are entirley hounourable. I think he is trying to work a system that is unworkable
    I think he's just saying that there are clubs which just won't ba able to keep up with the top clubs once they're run right. He may be right, but I wish he'd just shut up about it until he presides over a season where the top clubs aren't flirting with bankruptcy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I see Dundalk have called a meeting for their supporters on thursday re: the clubs finances!!

Here is a post from their forum.

The leaflets were being handed out from the booth where you buy the match tickets. It's a meeting organised by GM in the Lilywhite Lounge on Thursday night regarding club finances. I think it's at 8pm, I'm not positive though as I don't have the leaflet anymore. It was printed in bold on it something along the lines of; If you are concerned about the future of Dundalk FC you should attend this meeting..

Anyone know if theyre in the sh*t or close to it?
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    I see Dundalk have called a meeting for their supporters on thursday re: the clubs finances!!

The leaflets were being handed out from the booth where you buy the match tickets. It's a meeting organised by GM in the Lilywhite Lounge on Thursday night regarding club finances. I think it's at 8pm, I'm not positive though as I don't have the leaflet anymore. It was printed in bold on it something along the lines of; If you are concerned about the future of Dundalk FC you should attend this meeting..

I really can't imagine they'd be in trouble already.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    If, come the end of the season, there is a problem with Bohs the FAI will find a way to side step it. Just look at Drogheda United. The case against them getting a premier licence was cast-iron. The FAI got around the fact that United Park isn't fit to host a junior game by relying on the fact that An Bord Pleanala were considering an appeal against a stadium proposal that everybody had given up on.
    Lets conveniently forget that the FAI decided to upgrade United Park to make it comply. Seats, toilets etc.
    But hey, let Sid stay in his bubble. Worry about your own club mate, you are starting to sound like Sean Connor
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would hazard a guess that it´s to do with Connor´s statement about the financial gap between them and the likes of Bohs, perhaps some fundraising initiatives are being planned?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that it´s to do with Connor´s statement about the financial gap between them and the likes of Bohs, perhaps some fundraising initiatives are being planned?
    Sean Connor's statement was clear about the timescale involved in starting to close this gap:

"Last Friday night we played against a team with a wage bill three times the size of ours. That is a huge gap. We don’t need to close it this season but we need to start closing it over the next 2-3 seasons. We need to make it sustainable. Whatever increases in budget occur need to be well managed and projected into the future. That’s where the supporters come in."

Equally, the board of Dundalk have stated that the fans forum is related to discussions on how supporters can help the clubs fundraising plans for the remainder of the season.

The more that the supporter base and the wider business community are intricably involved in all aspects (particularly financial) the stronger any club becomes as a consequence.

In any case, surely this is way off-topic as regards Padraig Smith and the Indo article?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Sean Connor's statement was clear about the timescale involved in starting to close this gap:

"Last Friday night we played against a team with a wage bill three times the size of ours. That is a huge gap. We don’t need to close it this season but we need to start closing it over the next 2-3 seasons. We need to make it sustainable. Whatever increases in budget occur need to be well managed and projected into the future. That’s where the supporters come in."

Equally, the board of Dundalk have stated that the fans forum is related to discussions on how supporters can help the clubs fundraising plans for the remainder of the season.

The more that the supporter base and the wider business community are intricably involved in all aspects (particularly financial) the stronger any club becomes as a consequence.

In any case, surely this is way off-topic as regards Padraig Smith and the Indo article?
    not really way off topic given he was talking about clubs finances is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I think he's just saying that there are clubs which just won't ba able to keep up with the top clubs once they're run right. He may be right, but I wish he'd just shut up about it until he presides over a season where the top clubs aren't flirting with bankruptcy.
    I look at slightly differently - the SCP is in year 3 (maybe 2?) and fundamentally it is working. Remember that the number provides for a % of "turnover" - turnover in this case is defined as normal sales (tickets, merchandise etc) and gifts from wealthy types ie non refundable "investment".

However that is a maximum - the clubs can spend less on salaries if they like - fundamentally this is about the complete inability of clubs to manage themselves even remotely commercially. 90% of players were out of contract last winter so any clubs probelsm could be solved at a stroke - yes I am an accountant but I don't need years of training to come up with the answer:

"Pay them less" - the end.

Finally even if a club remains within the SCP, they can still act like idiots and bankrupt themselves - they have that right and clearly that ability. Blame the clubs for this.

We need to drop the Champions League pipedream thing - it isn't going to happen - so stop thinking you cna buy all the good players and run it that way - it won't work so sti down, think, listen, read, consider, shut up and spend less
    DB Cooper is alive !

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    the SCP is in year 3 (maybe 2?) and fundamentally it is working.
    On what basis do you think it's working?

I think that the recession and the Revenue Audits sparked by Shels' iffy practices have done infinitely more than licencing to bring clubs back to reality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I for one don't want to see any clubs leave the league, the likes of Drogheda & Dundalk are doing a lot of work in their local communities to promote both their clubs and football. The league needs these clubs and the others in all parts of the country, otherwise it will be a case of the bigger clubs taking their pick on the very best players and the rest playing catch up. What Padraig Smith is doing is helping clubs to help themselves and run more proffessionally, that's not a bad thing is it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    [quote=Cosmo;1157675]I see Dundalk have called a meeting for their supporters on thursday re: the clubs finances!!

Anyone know if theyre in the sh*t or close to it?[/quote]
    Nice to see you're so delighted at the prospect of them being in financial trouble...
    Very small minded, especially considering the river of sh*t your own club is sinking in at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=dong2008;1159543]

Anyone know if theyre in the sh*t or close to it?[/quote]
    Nice to see you're so delighted at the prospect of them being in financial trouble...
    Very small minded, especially considering the river of sh*t your own club is sinking in at the moment.
    I can't see what part of his post comes across to you as delight.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Well to allay the hopes of certain supporters of DUFC, the argus today said in an interview with CEO Gerry Matthews that "the finances of the club are not bleak and the club is not in trouble, but the club is not looking for trouble" According to the Argus, Gerry Matthews goes on to say that "we need a dedicated group of strong individuals to help with fundraising and initiatives to move forward". Anothe point was that attendence where good but not as predicted. (Begs to wonder what the projected attendences where)

BTW: I checked Argus website and it was not updated yet. I am going by memory also as i read this @ 10:30.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    According to the Argus, Gerry Matthews goes on to say that "we need a dedicated group of strong individuals to help with fundraising and initiatives to move forward"..
    This is key for all clubs, and will become more important this season, due to falling attendances and the general economic downturn. We're trying to get a few things sorted at Derry now in the next few weeks. It's sensible to call an open meeting for potential volunteers.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pól-dcfc View Post
    This is key for all clubs, and will become more important this season, due to falling attendances and the general economic downturn. We're trying to get a few things sorted at Derry now in the next few weeks. It's sensible to call an open meeting for potential volunteers.
    By the way what happened the roof at the Brandywell? It's seems to be off one week and on the other! I thought after watching the Sligo game the roof was back but then it went missing again against Bohs?
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umberside View Post
    By the way what happened the roof at the Brandywell? It's seems to be off one week and on the other! I thought after watching the Sligo game the roof was back but then it went missing again against Bohs?
    Nah, it's been gone since the Finn Harps play off. On the games where we are shown live, the camera points to the New Stand, which is roofed. On the MNS highlights, the camera points to the old Jungle and the Glentoran Stand. The Glentoran has a roof, but it's very small, and the old Jungle is the large uncovered area.
    DCFC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast