Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping young players at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Keeping young players at home

A while back it was rumoured that Sepp Blatter was going to bring in a rule whereby clubs couldn't poach overseas players before they hit the age of 18. Does anyone know what happened to this rule? Is it still in the pipeline? What sort of effect could it have on the LOI?

Personally I think it could lead to greater investment in the Irish game, as the FAI won't be able to rely on English clubs developing our best players from an early age any more. In turn it will lead to foreign clubs having to pay higher transfer fees for Irish players, which will lead to more money to invest, and it could have the side-effect of the top players of the future having more of an affinity with LOI clubs, and perhaps consider finishing their careers here

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    won't happen, english clubs too powerful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The only way it will happen is if our league improves in standard and club get more professional and develop players properly. Until then there will be nothing for young players to stay for.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I found a link to an article where Blatter is talking about this. Under this scheme it wouldn't matter whether our league was brilliant or crap, the players wouldn't be allowed sign for a foreign club until they were 18.

I can see the EU having issues with this actually!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    I thought that rule had been put in place already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    That's what I was asking about. I thought it might have been, but then you have players like that Macheda lad at Man Ure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    League of Ireland teams should start playing talented youngsters that come from youth teams, instead of letting them get signed by English teams. It's ridiculous. If they're good enough for English teams, they're good enough for Irish teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    the rule has already been agreed by uefa but requires a vote of all members i think,
    It will be hard to implement
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Loi clubs should try and snap up any talented young footballers form the local leagues before the English clubs come in for them. The youth should be an important factor for loi clubs as they are the future of the game in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    That's what I was asking about. I thought it might have been, but then you have players like that Macheda lad at Man Ure
    I meant very recently, since they signed him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    Loi clubs should try and snap up any talented young footballers form the local leagues before the English clubs come in for them. The youth should be an important factor for loi clubs as they are the future of the game in this country.
    Exactly. Unfortunately many clubs seem to be focusing on short term success rather than long term development. I know if I was, say, a Bohs supporter, I'd much prefer my team to spend money on proper marketing and youth development than on wages for Joseph Ndo and Jason Byrne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Exactly. Unfortunately many clubs seem to be focusing on short term success rather than long term development. I know if I was, say, a Bohs supporter, I'd much prefer my team to spend money on proper marketing and youth development than on wages for Joseph Ndo and Jason Byrne.
    I know what you're getting at here, but if a proven LOI goalscorer becomes available, as Byrne did, then you'd have him in your team no questions asked. They should have the likes of Paddy Madden training and learning off players like Byrne and Crowe.

As far as the rule is concerned, there seems to have been a fundamental agreement on this. Not sure how it will be implemented, but I'm sure they'll find a way. It's a big deal as far as I'm concerned. It's about the human rights of children more than anything.

http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/...9_download.pdf

Celbridge aka C-Bridge aka The CBDG/Leeson Street
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What if the parents legitimately moved to Glasgow to work. Would that mean the kid would be barred from playing football there before turns 18?

Thats hardly fair at all. And it'd be impossible to prove legitimacy of claims as we all know like how Man Utd sort the parents out with jobs in the city and a golden handshake. They might be players but they're people with rights to freedom of movement aswell so I struggle to see EU allowing this to be implimented in any meaningful way.
    "Football's not a matter of life and death... its much more important than that"

http://pintofunspecific.blogspot.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    The only way it will happen is if our league improves in standard and club get more professional and develop players properly. Until then there will be nothing for young players to stay for.
    Not neccessarily. The fact LOI clubs have not fostered proper youth academies in the past has created a situation in this country where most players who go acros to the UK do so from nursery clubs that are now proven at developing young players for this market. In my opinion, a LOI club located around such nursey clubs would surely find it hard to get a player in - who would just opt to goto/stay with that club who has a proven link with clubs in the UK. There's alot to be unravelled to address this situation. Unless this 18 year old rule comes in, why would a player goto an LOI club when they are already well tapped up by UK teams offering substantial offers to move. If it doesnt work out over there, then the LOI team comes into consideration.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I can understand LOI fans' frustration at losing young kids who go across the water, but there is no way that this can (or even should, imo) be stopped.

Think about it. You're the parent of a brilliant young kid who has no interest in school etc, since he has been kicking a ball ever since he could stand upright.

From 12 years of age, say, Liverpool have been inviting him over to Anfield/Melwood during school holidays for training and matches etc.

On his 16th Birthday, they offer him a two year contract in their Academy, with the prospect* of a professional career at 18 at the end of it.

By what right can anyone tell you that your kid must not go?

There is not a hope in Hell of any ban getting past the EU's freedom of movement/labour laws. And even if they did accept restrictions on the basis of a player's youth etc, Liverpool would just move his family over to Merseyside and set them up with jobs and accommodation etc. And of course no-one could ever insist they must leave their son on his own back in Ireland. And even if there were some restrictions on signing kids by inducing their family to move, Liverpool would simply get round that e.g. by offering the youngster a scholarship at a local college/training institute etc, whilst also training at club, thereby making it impossible for anyone to deny the lad the chance to further his "eduction".

Which is why FIFA are attempting to control this not by restricting the individual youngsters, but instead would restrict the teams, by limiting the number of "non-domestic" players they may select each game (6 & 5 etc).

But even that won't help countries like the ROI, since if L'pool find that they have filled their "quota", then e.g. Everton will just step in instead. And when Everton's quota is full, then another club will step in. For tbh, even lesser GB clubs like e.g. Tranmere Rovers or Crewe Alexandra can offer better hope of a career in full-time football than any LOI club.

Or does anyone seriously consider that e.g. the next Liam Brady is going to sign for Bohs at the age of 16, stay there for 4 or 5 years, then transfer to Arsenal for £5 million? For even if every club in Britain was somehow blocked off to him, you know what? He'll end up going to Italy or somewhere, only 10 years younger than the original Brady did.

It's the way of the world, I'm afraid.

* - High attrition rate, but enormous rewards for the lucky few
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 01/05/2009 at 1:22 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the LOI should have a mechanism for capturing the players before they go or when they are coming back. how many players are lost to the game because they become disenchanted after they failed to make the grade at Liverpool or United or wherever? why don't the FAI/LOI offer to match the wages of some of the lads going away if they stay here. the pay wouldn't be massive at the academies and it might keep some good players in the LOI. if a player is good enough he will be spooted and any transfer fee made later on could be kept by the LOI to develop the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    In my opinion, a LOI club located around such nursey clubs would surely find it hard to get a player in
    You make a good point about the proven UK clubs but to say that LOI clubs would find it hard to get players in is just pure mad. Even if they lose the cream of the crop they will still manage to get a good standard of player in.

Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I can understand LOI fans' frustration at losing young kids who go across the water, but there is no way that this can (or even should, imo) be stopped.
    I agree it wont be stopped but if it can create a better environment for kids nearer to home then its better than the current situation, which for the most part is disgarding kids as dropouts at 19-20 while being in the care of said UK for the last 4 years.

Think about it. You're the parent of a brilliant young kid who has no interest in school etc, since he has been kicking a ball ever since he could stand upright. From 12 years of age, say, Liverpool have been inviting him over to Anfield/Melwood during school holidays for training and matches etc. On his 16th Birthday, they offer him a two year contract in their Academy, with the prospect* of a professional career at 18 at the end of it.

By what right can anyone tell you that your kid must not go?
    Is this the point where we should start crying? The in-humanity of it all how dare LOI Clubs try and develop players in there own country.

And even if they did accept restrictions on the basis of a player's youth etc, Liverpool would just move his family over to Merseyside and set them up with jobs and accommodation etc. And of course no-one could ever insist they must leave their son on his own back in Ireland.
    What??? I think you are forgetting one thing, Liverpool etc. would never invest that much in a player (and his family) unless they knew he was worth it. What if he got injuried. Too much of a gamble and even harder to disgard the player afterwards with parents in tow

I think you are holding UK clubs in too high a regard. Something to help you with that would be to look at the numbers that do go over and how many make it and how many dont and at the cost of their education.

And even if there were some restrictions on signing kids by inducing their family to move, Liverpool would simply get round that e.g. by offering the youngster a scholarship at a local college/training institute etc, whilst also training at club, thereby making it impossible for anyone to deny the lad the chance to further his "eduction".
    There is no way they will start playing for players education. And maybe Liverpool could afford it but Barnsley and Crewe cant afford it so it wont happen.

Or does anyone seriously consider that e.g. the next Liam Brady is going to sign for Bohs at the age of 16, stay there for 4 or 5 years, then transfer to Arsenal for £5 million? For even if every club in Britain was somehow blocked off to him, you know what? He'll end up going to Italy or somewhere, only 10 years younger than the original Brady did.

That comment/trail of thought is completely off the wall

* - High attrition rate, but enormous rewards for the lucky few
    And thats what makes it all worth it
    Last edited by A face; 04/05/2009 at 10:28 AM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I agree with alot of what EalingGreen said, if a young lad in this country gets offered a chance to play for Liverpool/Man Utd etc, not many would turn it down. Wouldnt blame them either.

Its almost as if LoI teams dont even look for young players around schoolboy clubs down here, the player nearly has to look to join the club and even at that it would more then likely be just the u.16/17s or whatever, and personally, I dont see a big attraction of playing for Bohs u.17s especially if you will have to travel for 45 mins or so each way to training two or three times a week.

A more realistic aim for the LoI and FAI I think would be to stop players who fail in England from dropping out of the sport altogether, I believe Glenn Hoddle has some academy that does something like this in Spain?
    Cmon County!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Ealing Greens points only stand if the lad is the best of the best. Expected to be the next big thing, and yes in that situation theres not much you can do.

But right now a huge percentage of teh kids going over are only 'maybes' there's not much outlay for the english club so theyl have them over and see how they develop. If it were a case that the club had to pay for teh family etc to move for every single child then there would be a lot less kids brought voer, only the best of the best.

That would mean a lot more incredibly talented younsters who can develop in the LOI. An example is meyler that we sold last year. He developed in Cork and was noticed when he turned 19, got his move to Sunderland and the club got decent money out of it. Yes, the best players will of course leave but if its in a scenario where LOI clubs are part of the chain, and get decent compensation then our league will improve greatly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

I know you look at the quality of our national side in envy but the reality is that Ireland only "produces" 1 or 2 Liam Brady quality players every 5 years or so, if that.

The issue is that we are not maximising the potential player pool we have at our disposal if we are depending on the academies of a foreign country to nurture our talent.

Can LOI clubs potentially offer what British clubs can at academy level? I don't think so but I don't see why Ireland needs to mirror how things are done in the UK to keep players at home. Perhaps a more centralised youth development system is needed. Regardless we need to become more inventive in how we approach youth development rather than seeking to copy what others have and are doing.
    Last edited by ifk101; 04/05/2009 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast