Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: W/E 24th April Match Previews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

W/E 24th April Match Previews

MONAGHAN UNITED -V- KILDARE COUNTY

Having commenced the season against the four top teams in the 1st. Division it should be a change of tempo for Monaghan United when they play bottom of the tableside Kildare County at Kingspan Century Park this weekend.

After last weeks poor result against Waterford United there is only one direction that Monaghan can go and that is up. It is believed that this weekend will see United turn the corner and they should start stringing a few results together and get to a position in the tables where they rightfully should be. Their start to the season is similar to last season and it was at this stage that they started getting the results.

Manager Mick Cook's cause wasn’t helped in Waterford when last years player of the season-keeper, Brendan Kennedy had to cry off before the kick off due to back injury and five other players being struck with a stomach bug.

Although they have had a poor start to the season considering what some people’s expectations at the commencement were, Kildare’s has been even worse. Friday’s game should be the one that gets their season kick started. They have to collect all three points. Hopefully all players will have recovered in sufficient time and that the manager will have a full squad to pick from.

Injuries and Suspensions

Suspended : none

Injuries : none

Results of Last fixtures

Div 1 Monaghan United 1 2 Mervue United
    Div 1 Limerick 0 0 Monaghan United
    Div 1 Monaghan United 0 3 Sporting Fingal
    League Cup Monaghan United 1 2 Sporting Fingal
    Div 1 Waterford United 6 0 Monaghan United

Next 5 Fixtures
    Sat May 2 Athlone v Monaghan United 8.p.m.
    Fri May 8 Monaghan United v Wexford Youths 8.p.m.
    Sat May 16 Finn Harps v Monaghan United 7.45.p.m.
    Fri May 22 Monaghan United v Longford Town 8.p.m.
    Fri May 29 Shelbourne v Monaghan United 7.45.p.m

MANAGERS VIEW

“ I am looking forward to this week ends game against Kildare County and I firmly believe that we can kick start the season with our first win. If the supporters of Monaghan United are disappointed with our results so far I can assure them that it is little compared to that of my own, the backroom team and squad. I had good hopes going to Waterford and getting a result there, but the result was a huge disappointment, I could make excuses for the loss of Brendan Kennedy before the game and Brian Gartland at half time and a number of other players getting a stomach bug, but there is no point in going there.

We had a similar set back this time last season we learned and progressed from it and turned our season around,I intend to do the same this time around. It is early in the season we are still only in the first round matches and most of the points lost were against the four top teams.

Kildare have had a bad start to their season’ unfortunately for them we are not in a generous mood, so we have no intention of gifting them any points.

Again I hope we have a good home support, when a team needs a bit of a lift the crowd can be the 12th.man”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Derry City v Dundalk
    Friday 24th April, 2009
    Brandywell, 7.45

Dundalk travel to the Brandywell on Friday evening for their first competitive match with Derry City since March 2002.

Team News
    Following Wednesday’s training session at Oriel Park – Dundalk are set to be without Liam Burns and Michael Daly who have both picked up hamstring injuries.

Doubts remain over previous hamstring injury victims Declan O’Brien and Thomas Heary. Shaun Kelly is also doubtful with an ankle injury.

Available for selection is defender Simon Kelly who returns after his ban following the Cork City match.

While Dundalk FC believe that a resolution to the Michael Collins situation is now imminent – at this point he is still unavailable for selection.

Dwight Barnett and Dundalk FC have agreed a mutual contract cancellation.

Manager Comments: Sean Connor

“A visit to the Brandywell is always one of the toughest games of the season. Derry City are a well established side and I expect them to be challenging for the title at the end of the season. It’s a huge challenge to go to Derry. The players are all looking forward to it as it is one of the fixtures that provides it’s own motivation. I don’t believe that our performances have been getting the results we deserve in recent weeks. We need to find a level of consistency and cut out the individual errors. Once we find that consistency we I have no doubt that we can start climbing up the table”.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Wexford Youths v Finn Harps

Youths expecting Harps to push them to the Finish

On Saturday the 25th of April Wexford Youths FC welcome Finn Harps to Ferrycarrig Park. Expectations will be high with the home fans after last weeks impressive win over table topping UCD. No one outside of Wexford gave the Youth’s a chance last week and my word they proved all of those doubters wrong. The result may have been amazing, but it was the performance from the Youths that highlights just how far they have come. However the result will count for nothing if they slip up against Finn Harps on Saturday night.

In terms of team news, it’s going to be difficult for Mick Wallace to drop any of last week’s starting line up after their heroic performances. Fringe players Pa Doyle and goal hero Liam O’Loughlin will be hoping to retain their places.

Good news on the injury front for Wallace is that Paul Murphy, Danny Furlong and Gary Sheahan will all attend training tonight; however they are still a few weeks away from being in the first team.

“This is going to be a very tough game for us. Expectations will be high after last week’s win and if we can’t get a positive result on Saturday then the UCD result will count for nothing” said Wallace.

“Finn Harps have had a difficult start to the season and they are a much better side than their League position conveys. This really is a 50-50 game and we know that if Harps win this game then they will be level on points with us, so we’re taking nothing for granted” Wallace said.

Injured:
    Tim McGrath
    Kyle Dempsey
    Danny Furlong
    Paul Murphy
    Lee Aust
    Gary Sheahan
    Last edited by Youths4Ever; 23/04/2009 at 7:14 PM.
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep