Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: League feels pinch as cuts kick in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post League feels pinch as cuts kick in

League feels pinch as cuts kick in

With the near demise of Cork City and Drogheda United last season, League of Ireland clubs generally are adopting a more cost-conscious approach this year. Nowhere is this better epitomised than at Sligo Rovers where, even after a successful season in which European and Setanta Cup football was secured, the budget has been tightened further. Manager Paul Cook, whose own future was in doubt in the close season as the club endeavoured to raise the funds to hold onto him, is aware of the new order of priorities -- and he approves.

"It's funny," he said, "a lot of people were tipping us to do very well, but we have a reduced squad, so for me this season represents a different challenge. First of all, I want to maintain our Premier Division status, and then I want to win something. "My hands were tied due to the economic climate. We were very successful last year and the problem is maintaining that. I have spoken to the committee about the problems we'd have with a small squad and injuries -- and now we've got them. But we've got a committee that's backing us well and in me and (assistant) Gerry (Carr), two men who are very committed to the club."

Read more at www.independent.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Clubs most definitely are feeling "the pinch", I doubt it if there is many clubs in the league with healthy looking accounts at present.

I think alot of business people see advertising in the LOI as a luxury and might just be giving the sponsorship of a local club a miss this season.

Adverts in the club programme and add hoardings are most definitely down this season at Finn Park, I doubt thats much of a surprise but its also down from the 2007 season when we were also in the first division.

The other thing I notice locally is the unwillingness of people to buy tickets for our annual draws. The excuse you would generally hear now is, "money is tight", "Ive had local gaa and youth clubs around selling already, I couldn't afford to buy another" and generally the prizes are not as good as last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    On the other hand the current financial situation might have a beneficial effect on the league, forcing clubs to live within their means and eliminating the 'buy now, pay later' mentality that's been pervasive among certain clubs over the past few years. I think when this current economic crisis is over the league may well be a more stronger and competitive one with clubs chasing realistic goals on a sound financial footing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    On the other hand the current financial situation might have a beneficial effect on the league, forcing clubs to live within their means and eliminating the 'buy now, pay later' mentality that's been pervasive among certain clubs over the past few years. I think when this current economic crisis is over the league may well be a more stronger and competitive one with clubs chasing realistic goals on a sound financial footing.
    Shouldn't this be in the "Favourite Urban Legends" thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Or more likely - they'll completely forget the tough lessons of the past and be all-consumed with 'chasing the dream' again, with history repeating itself.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Or more likely - they'll completely forget the tough lessons of the past and be all-consumed with 'chasing the dream' again, with history repeating itself.
    Right. There might even be an attitude that in this recession, with all clubs feeling the pinch, there has never been a better time to chase the dream. It will mean spending less of the money you don't have than you would have spent any other time recently, and the couple of million (that you didn't have) that you didn't spend, is basically money in the bank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As an aside, Paul Cook is my number 1 manager plying his trade in the league at the moment.
    Skillful and gives a great post-match interview

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Wasn't he walking during the close season unless the club increased his budget?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Wasn't he walking during the close season unless the club increased his budget?

yep macy thats right!
    Last edited by Martinho II; 22/04/2009 at 1:14 PM. Reason: tired
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    yep macy thats right!
    So he only kinda "approves".
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.