Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Refereeing Standard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's when any part of the (active) forward that can legally be used to play the ball is ahead of any part of the second last opposition player that can legally be used to play the ball.
    DCFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    When the forward is closer to the goal than the last defender at the time the ball is played. Oh, and is 'active', can't forget that one.

Same as most fans, tbh.

When the forward is closer to the goal than the last two defenders at the time the ball is played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    When the forward is closer to the goal than the last two defenders at the time the ball is played.
    I meant outfield player, ya scallywag.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Midget Gem View Post
    As Any Gray put it the other day.....

That your problem right there. When it comes to refs, dont take Andy Gray as a credible reference. He has his own opinions on the rules, which vary from one situation to the next. But because he's on the telly people accept his version. The man clearly has a dislike for refs (but he's not as bad as Roddy )
    LTID

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    In all fairness we were by no means robbed by the ref, which this thread seems to give the impression off

What off-side decisions exactly?... and were you running in line with the ball to call them?, i hate listening to this crap up Terryland every week, we don't seem to remember the offsides we got in our favour or the other decisions, but as soon as the slightest thing goes against us ''The Ref' a ******'' rings out around the stand

I saw Foster leave his box a few times and nothing was said, unless you were sitting in one of the dugouts then you don't know if Foster was mouthing off or been more of a nuisance then Fenlon?, so you can't give a fair reflection on that situation either!.

Kelly booked?, maybe it was because he was warned about mouthing off in the first half?, sick of hearing this crap about ref's all the time, seem to be the easiest target in the LOI
    Well said gilberto.

We've all left matches feeling hard done by with the ref's, some are better than others but they all make the occassional mistake. A lot of the time its our own misinterpretation of rules or poor view of an incident thats at fault.
    None of the officials intentionally set out to get things wrong or favour one side or another (except maybe Padraig Sutton ). The League of Ireland refs are no better or worse than you will find anywhere else.
    LTID

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    That your problem right there. When it comes to refs, dont take Andy Gray as a credible reference. He has his own opinions on the rules, which vary from one situation to the next. But because he's on the telly people accept his version. The man clearly has a dislike for refs (but he's not as bad as Roddy )
    Andy gray is the worst - and the funny thing is he only complains AFTER he sees it on the reply, never during the game.

I think the St. Pats - Bray game last week was a referring shocker - dodby peno, and goal wrongly disallowed

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

What else is new.

I've seen far worse Ref displays in Terryland too,mostly by Alan Kelly but Tourney(spelling),Buttimer deserve mentions too.I went so far one time to write to the Eircom League office back when they were over the league.The overall standard is shockingly bad but it wouldnt have made ANY difference last night.
    The thing i hate is that a ref in this league will never consult his linesman.Also, even though the lineman will have been nearer to the incident he will wait and let the ref make a decision and not flag for anything.Also in this league if a decision is borderline offside the linesman's flag will ALWAYS go up.In most other leagues in Europe benefit of the doubt is given to the attacking team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    The thing i hate is that a ref in this league will never consult his linesman.Also, even though the lineman will have been nearer to the incident he will wait and let the ref make a decision and not flag for anything.
    Wrong. Exhibit 1 - go to 2 min 30 on the youtube video here, watch the lino in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDel...e=channel_page

This was one incident where a lot of us in the shed, from our view point, thought the sending off of the keeper was harsh. But the video is perfectly positioned and clearly shows that the keeper was last man.

Also in this league if a decision is borderline offside the linesman's flag will ALWAYS go up.In most other leagues in Europe benefit of the doubt is given to the attacking team.
    Borderline offside is offside.
    And I dont agree about other leageues giving the beneft - surely you've seen enough replays of tight offside decisions on EPL games and internationals for example?
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    They do consult their Assistants - only it's not that noticeable nowadays thanks to the Headsets they wear.

Think it does speak volumes and an improvement that the first "major" thread about someone (on this occasion, wrongly) cribbing and moaning about Match Officials comes just under a whole month into the new season - in previous years it's been on the first night or so...

Officials are bound to make the odd mistake - just the same as players and managers do
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Also in this league if a decision is borderline offside the linesman's flag will ALWAYS go up.In most other leagues in Europe benefit of the doubt is given to the attacking team.
    Advantage goes to the attacking team in cases of doubt. Doubt and borderline aren't the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    I thought Gough did little wrong last night to be honest. Derek O'Brien was booked for mouthing, Ndo was booked for preventing a quick free, and lets be honest, Davoren's booking was a no-brainer. Yes, Fenlon gave Paul Deering (4th official) fierce gip - it ewas fiunny watching a manager tell an official to relax, rather than the other way aorund - and he spent more time outside technical area than inside it, but as someone else posted, Foster did plenty of wandering around as well. The reason so many offside decisions are given against us is because our front men are far too slow to get back onside, or are unable to look across the line to time their run off the last defender. If Faherty had scored the 'goal' Byrne did just after half time, only for it to be ruled out for offside, we would be going ape. Not a word though because it was an opposition player.
    And as someone else said, the officials don't intentionally go out to make wrong decisions, just the same as the players don't go out to play poorly
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Mark Gough is a shockingly inept referee. That obese linesman that we always seem to get is without doubt the worst linesman in the league. He can't even keep up with the play. I think he actually gets a buzz from making crap decisions and getting the crowd on his back.
    Last edited by GuisaSaigon; 08/04/2009 at 2:29 PM.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    just curious what would be your definition of offside?
    Someone get the salt and pepper out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When the forward is closer to the goal than the last defender at the time the ball is played. Oh, and is 'active', can't forget that one.

Same as most fans, tbh.
    here i was just being curious as to know if you knew the rule, which you have shown to not know fully ... as its the second last defender and also its not when the ball is played its when the ball is touched by your fellow player .. here but let you off being vague but here its fifa who got rid of the if you were offside you were offside and brought in this grey aera of being active or not and left it to the referees to make the decision as the sit back and make up the rules. Come on give them a break if you think you the fan can do better try it but as most i guess you will say NAH i prefer to give abuse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by celticV3 View Post
    Someone get the salt and pepper out
    why you taking up cooking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    its fifa who got rid of the if you were offside you were offside and brought in this grey aera of being active or not
    Really? You always had to be interfering with play (which I assume is the same being 'active') to be called offside I thought. Otherwise a guy at the corner flag could be called offside for a through-ball in the middle of the pitch.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I meant outfield player, ya scallywag.
    The two players don't have to include the goalkeeper though. It's rare alright but I have seen it where the goalkeeper isn't one of the two players playing the attacker offside.

(The goalkeeper had gone up to take a penalty and missed).
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Really? You always had to be interfering with play (which I assume is the same being 'active') to be called offside I thought. Otherwise a guy at the corner flag could be called offside for a through-ball in the middle of the pitch.
    all i was saying was many years ago there was no such thing as being active or not ... it was deemed an offside offence for anyone to be in a offside position then fifa brought in active or not and then the offside rule changed in its interpretation and how it was implemented. Hence the grey area because for every 1 you think is offside another will say its not different interpretations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    all i was saying was many years ago there was no such thing as being active or not ... it was deemed an offside offence for anyone to be in a offside position then fifa brought in active or not and then the offside rule changed in its interpretation and how it was implemented. Hence the grey area because for every 1 you think is offside another will say its not different interpretations
    Not sure why the rolling eyes are necessary. What's the difference in the two interpretations? Players not interfering with play were never to be called offside that I remember, how is that different to being inactive?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    Not sure why the rolling eyes are necessary. What's the difference in the two interpretations? Players not interfering with play were never to be called offside that I remember, how is that different to being inactive?
    come on you know thats not true, offside was offside ask anyone in soccer thats what all the players and managers want it to go back to... a plain if a player is offside (inactive or not) then flag offside . no grey aera or anything.

here but thats my interpretation of it, and i am going with experience in the middle get asked(as well as abuse) by players and managers why that was offside and another isn't.

i know it like talking to a brick wall with most fans because you look for an easy target and 80% of time its the ref so enjoy the rest of your season and best of luck
    Last edited by Jock MIB; 08/04/2009 at 3:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast