Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Setanta Announces Live Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Also how many people outside of Dublin have Setanta? I think it's only available to people who have digital.
    No its carried by Sky and the UPC companies
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe
    The biggest derby in LOI, Derry V Harps has only been shown live once (I think).
    The biggest what?
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Setanta aren't a charity. They show whatever gets them the most viewers, most subscribers, and most advertisers

How do people not understand this?
    For the simple fact that you're wrong, as it it really isn't that scientific.

Firstly - Setanta simply don't know what their subscribers' motivations are.
    I'm currently a Setanta subscriber. Do the company know why I subscribed ? Is it because I want to watch Derry City ? Is it because I like English Football ? Or maybe it's because I like neither and prefer the X Games and UFC ? Not once in the 4 years I've been with Setanta have they ever sought to understand my motivation for subscribing. So how the hell will they know what combination of EL games would get them the most viewers from a subscriber base who's motivations and interests they just don't understand ?

Secondly - doubtless you'll reply by suggesting they work on assumption, Dublin has the biggest population, and they will then assume that at least some of their Dublin subscribers are there to watch the LOI etc etc. But as we see from the attendance figures on here (imperfect though they are) there are more hardcore LOI fans for all teams outside Dublin than there are for all teams inside. So why would showing endless Dublin teams be good for their viewing ratings ?

Thirdly - the way to maximise subscribers from LOI supporters is to show a broad spread of teams. Why would a Drigheda fan subscribe this season, for example, when it looks like they'll be lucky to be shown more than two or three times max ?

Finally - Setanta also don't have accurate viewing figures for their various programmes either (I'll explain the science behind ratings calculations if you really want me to, but I'd rather not make this post any longer). Their advertising rates are therefore based primarily on broad assumptions. So - beyond obvious expected disparities in the viewer appeal of programmes (e.g. an Old Firm game versus an LOI game) they derive limited benefit from maximising viewings for any single LOI game, as it doesn't have much limited impact upon the advertising revenue from slots during that programme.

In summary, Setanta just don't have the complexity, consumer data or motivation to fulfill the criteria that you're suggesting drives their choice of game. The bottom-line is that as a live sports channel they need content, and they can get cheap content by showing LOI games that are based in Dublin. Which is exactly what they do. It's all about production costs, laziness, and the need for content - particularly in the dead Summer period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    For the simple fact that you're wrong, as it it really isn't that scientific.

Firstly - Setanta simply don't know what their subscribers' motivations are.
    I'm currently a Setanta subscriber. Do the company know why I subscribed ? Is it because I want to watch Derry City ? Is it because I like English Football ? Or maybe it's because I like neither and prefer the X Games and UFC ?
    I agree with 99% of your post Steve.
    But i subscribed to Setanta a couple of months ago.
    Part of the registration is a series of questions,
    the first part of mine went a little like this

Q - What sport do you like ? A - Football
    Q - What team do you support ? A -Sligo Rovers
    Q - Eh what team do you support ? A - eh Sligo Rovers
    Q - What priemer ship team do you support ? A - I dont
    Obviously Sligo Rovers wasnt in the multiple choice box for that particular queston !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfc1928 View Post

Obviously Sligo Rovers wasnt in the multiple choice box for that particular queston !
    Do they really only have a drop down box with only EPL teams?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Sorry,i forgot to say i registered by phone.
    but when I said Sligo Rovers, yer wan on the other end went 'eh' as if to say ' yeah but who do you really support '
    AFAIK when you register on line, the drop down menu does only contain EPL teams plus Celtic & Rangers, but im open to correction on that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    look its easy to say this but its partially the FAI's fault. they have an input into what games are shown and they let this farce happen.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I know someone who's worked for Setanta both directly and indirectly, they're real cheapskates by all accounts so I'd imagine it's how little they can get away with spending.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Laughing quietly at the fact someone here thinks that Derry City vs. Finn Harps is the biggest derby in the whole League.

A derby in which Harps have won something like 1 out of the last 49 meetings in.

Every sane person knows that the biggest derby game in this country is Bohs vs. Rovers - always has been (since the demise of Bertie's Boys in Drumcondra) - always will be.
    Most hyped up derby probably. For 2 supposedly big teams playing their biggest 'enemys' the attendances are pretty poor to say the least and the fare on offer is generally worse. Plus the ubiquitous gangs of skobies roaming the streets make it a pretty unpleasant experience for any neutrals. Harps Derry matches seem far bigger occasions - probably because they dont play each other as much aswell though too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    Most hyped up derby probably. For 2 supposedly big teams playing their biggest 'enemys' the attendances are pretty poor to say the least and the fare on offer is generally worse. Plus the ubiquitous gangs of skobies roaming the streets make it a pretty unpleasant experience for any neutrals. Harps Derry matches seem far bigger occasions - probably because they dont play each other as much aswell though too.
    and it isn't dominated by scum on the streets.
    Sporting F*ck All!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post

I agree that The Dublin Derby wouldn`t appeal to sensitive neutrals.
    The atmosphere is intense at best and poisonous at worse. I`ve seen crowds from 10,000 to a low of 2,500 at the fixture in the last 25 years and the atmosphere is no less electrifying for that. The hangers on outside the grounds certainly impacts negatively on the crowd numbers though.

As for the general standard of the games, Ciaraa you can`t have seen many? The stand out quality games in my memory in the LOI have mostly centred on the fixture

- Ashleigh Grimes scoring from 35 yards in Milltown in a cup replay in the 70`s
    - Ex Hoop Donal Murphy scoring the winner in `83 3-2
    - The battles with the four in row team, Noel Larkin, Campbell or Buckley usually breaking our hearts
    - Nutsy scoring the last goal of a 3-1 win in the RDS in the 90`s
    - two cup replays in `96(?) Tony Cousins scoring the winner against the team he was later to "manage"
    - Santry 4-6 ......enough said
    - A Hoops first Division side putting us out of the cup and Farrelly out of a job (obviously not a highlight but was a cracking game, penalty saved etc)
    - Brennan and Rossiter screamers last year for a narrow 2-1 win
    - The Jason Byrne show before 4,500 in the most recent fixture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surprise surprise, Bohs are on TV yet again!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Whats wrong with Bohs being on again.

They are the reigning champions who ran away with the title last year. Current Cup holders and current (joint) leaders of the Premier Division.

The floating viewer knows this and would be more likely to look in on a match involving them at the moment.

No doubt if they had a melt down - fell down the table and off the back pages a bit they would be shown less.

It helps that they are based in Dublin too - less costs associated with production etc.

Also Dublin has the biggest population. I know it was posted above that clubs in Dublin tend to have lower attendances than those outside but its not the match goers that Setanta are relying on. Its the casual (pardon the expression) TV based footie fan (by population - mainly based in Dublin) who Setanta are hoping will pop in and out of any LoI game they show. Better chance of that happening if its the 'perceived' best team in the country playing and better chance again if that happens to be a Dublin team.

I would assume in most countries the League leaders and/or most recently sucessful sides get more TV matches. I assume Man U get a lot more games on TV than say Portsmouth.

Bottom line for me is that its Bohs right now but if any other team becomes the latest 'hot thing' it will be them shown more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post

Bottom line for me is that its Bohs right now but if any other team becomes the latest 'hot thing' it will be them shown more.
    I'd be willing to be any money that if the "hot thing" was Derry, Sligo, Galway, Harps or Cork they wouldn't be shown nearly as much.

Setanta are up the left financially. They need to cut down on costs, so will stay within Dublin as much as possible.
    DCFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    Whats wrong with Bohs being on again.

They are the reigning champions who ran away with the title last year. Current Cup holders and current (joint) leaders of the Premier Division.

The floating viewer knows this and would be more likely to look in on a match involving them at the moment.

No doubt if they had a melt down - fell down the table and off the back pages a bit they would be shown less.

It helps that they are based in Dublin too - less costs associated with production etc.

Also Dublin has the biggest population. I know it was posted above that clubs in Dublin tend to have lower attendances than those outside but its not the match goers that Setanta are relying on. Its the casual (pardon the expression) TV based footie fan (by population - mainly based in Dublin) who Setanta are hoping will pop in and out of any LoI game they show. Better chance of that happening if its the 'perceived' best team in the country playing and better chance again if that happens to be a Dublin team.

I would assume in most countries the League leaders and/or most recently sucessful sides get more TV matches. I assume Man U get a lot more games on TV than say Portsmouth.

RUBBISH WHY SHOW BOHS V DROGS NEXT WEEKEND top v Bottom when you have Derry v Shamrock rovers as game of the weekend. Bohs get everything at the moment, refs decisions tv money you name it Bohs get it

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    RUBBISH WHY SHOW BOHS V DROGS NEXT WEEKEND top v Bottom when you have Derry v Shamrock rovers as game of the weekend. Bohs get everything at the moment, refs decisions tv money you name it Bohs get it
    Bit Connoresque in that rant Flexy.

As a general question: Whats the TV money worth anyway (I recently heard €2k)? How does that compare to the fall off in gates when a side are on TV?

And Pol I agree to a large degree that financial matters (ie location) are dictating which games to show. But if Pats, Rovers, Shels etc were the next 'hot thing' I would wager they woudl be shown as much as Bohs currently are. I actually agree with your point re the other clubs your mentioned. Which is why I said Dublin location is one of the driving factors re producton costs. I believe those clubs would get more games - but maybe not as much as Bohs are currently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srfc1928 View Post

That's interesting to hear SRFC, as I've never once been asked (I was on the phone to them only 2 weeks ago to haggle over the cost of my next year's subscription). Sounds like they've only brought it in since they got the EPL rights, which they didn't have when I first joined.

Interestingly - it proves that they have no idea what interest any subscribers have in the LOI, and therefore no way at all of knowing which combination of games would best appeal to the subscriber base. Without relying on geographical assumptions, which as we all know are far from perfect anyway.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Premier Division clubs will also benefit from payments for TV rights. All 10 clubs will get an equal share payment of €20,000, while an additional €35,000 has been set aside for clubs with six or more fixtures selected for live television broadcast, or four or more live television fixtures held on nights other than Friday.
    The money set aside for clubs who have been on six or more times will receive an extra €35000, But reading that i'm not too sure the €35000 will be divided between the clubs who are shown six or more, or if the €35000 will be given to each club shown more than six times. Either way it looks like Bohs are going to be the only ones getting the extra €35000. Well done the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    Well done the FAI.
    Yeah, because the FAI should tell Setanta what games they're allowed to show. Derry fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niallsparky View Post
    Yeah, because the FAI should tell Setanta what games they're allowed to show. Derry fans.
    Err - yes. They should

The FAI sorts the contract with Setanta, so the FAI can ask for whetever it wants in there.

Bohs fans You'd probably have sold rights to the same games to two separate organisations.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast