Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MNS & The First Div.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    i dont know if a camera at every game is worth it to show a few goals.
    but at least a section in the show dedicated to the first division with results, previews and reviews of games and the table, just to show it exists.

mns is trying to sell a product and bohs and all are the best teams to do this to the minnions. I have to say from watching mns this year the crowds look up, the atmosphere at games look good and it all looks rosy in the garden from the outside.

regards the first division....it aint easy to dress up a turd.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the-blue-harp View Post
    it aint easy to dress up a turd.
    Ah come on, the wardrobe department try their best with Roddy.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    As League Director Fran Gavin said.."you only put your best suits in the shop window"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the-blue-harp View Post
    i dont know if a camera at every game is worth it to show a few goals.
    but at least a section in the show dedicated to the first division with results, previews and reviews of games and the table, just to show it exists.

mns is trying to sell a product and bohs and all are the best teams to do this to the minnions. I have to say from watching mns this year the crowds look up, the atmosphere at games look good and it all looks rosy in the garden from the outside.

regards the first division....it aint easy to dress up a turd.
    That worries me... the fact that everything is rosy in the garden reminds me of last year. If things are good at the moment then it puts more pressure on the clubs to keep everything in order.

I would consider a year without financial trouble as a good year.
    I'm a 23yr old right-handed heterosexual who drinks milk and likes democracy. - dcfcsteve knows me well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    On MNS and coverage of the LOI this item that appeared in the Dundalk v Drogheda Matchday programme is well worth a read.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/090322_MNS.asp
    I was on one of the cameras at that Athlone game - still hurts to watch

Phil Coulter bought dinner that day though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Again, no attention paid to Division 1 tonight. They didn't even mention Mervue winning their first LoI game, or the fact that Pat Scully lost his first game with Limerick.

I feel sorry for ye 1st Division fans. Ye and ye're clubs are being shown no respect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    how many first division teams record their own games. I've seen vids from shels,youths,athlone,kildare so could they and other clubs not just send mns the highlights and let them decide on wether its worth showing then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Any footage I've seen from 1st division teams is not worthy for national tv. Our own is the best quality and it's still not up to that standard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Ours games have all been recorded but the quality would not be good enough for T.V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Ours games have all been recorded but the quality would not be good enough for T.V.
    Thanks for your honesty Sam.

Showing First Div on television would be quite unhelpful for the league. We're doing well getting the Premier Division highlights on the box, but the show would lose all credibility reaching to a lower level out of a misplaced sense of equality. Roddy Collins would have a field day.

Whatever we may think of the quality in the prem, it is the best the league has to offer and that should be what is in the showcase.

I agree with other observations that MNS should stick to its brief. Bigging up ex-LoI players now in Britain sends out all the wrong messages and cements the patronising notion that we are nothing more than a feeder league for the real game elsewhere. Fair dues to Fahey and Mooney, but they will get covered on RTE, BBC and Sky etc if they really are good enough.

There also is more than enough boys-in-greenism and ancient history. In a tight schedule for what is a precious resource, MNS should be foregrounding the league as it is now, and not sneaking off into RTE's hackneyed football topic range and cheapo fillers from the archive.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    To all premier club supporters who dont watch div one but think themselves qualified to comment on it - trust me on this, most of what we see on MNS from the premier sides is no different to what you will see in highlights of first div matches.

Everyone seems to have arrived at the conclusion that more people will get into league of Ireland footie if they see the best of it on tv - fine in theory.
    But why would anyone from Limerick, Wateford, Wexford, etc tune in to watch Bohs, Cork, Derry and so on (unless they are already into LOI) - they wont is the correct answer. They just might however, take notice if they see their local team, for example banging in 5 goals v their historical rivals as part of a 3 minute 1st div highlight package.
    LTID

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I think Sam was referring above to the quality of recording rather than football.

To the average punter the difference in standard between the divisions is minimal, and certainly that between the bottom of the premier and a top D1 game is non existent to a large extent.

There is no reason whatsoever why MNS couldn't cover one D1 game per week and generally give the division a bit more time and respect.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    They just might however, take notice if they see their local team, for example banging in 5 goals v their historical rivals as part of a 3 minute 1st div highlight package.
    I thought you only scored 4 goals against Mervue... Oh wait you must be on about the Kildare - Fingal rivalry, they scored 8 in that one!

Seriously though one of the issues is that the pundits wouldn't have a clue. It's bad enough that they don't know the players in all the Premier Division teams but can you imagine Roddy trying to discuss Division 1. He wouldn't be able to say he brought any of the players to the league! I do think they should make more of an effort with the results and fixtures - I'm not being funny but if a blind person had the TV on they genuinely wouldn't have a clue what's going on.
    As to how many blind people watch TV, in particular MNS, that's a whole new thread...
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    As to how many blind people watch TV, in particular MNS, that's a whole new thread...
    It's the blind barstoolers I hate. They just don't see things my way

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    It's the blind barstoolers I hate. They just don't see things my way
    The trick is to move the barstool when they go to the toilet. That'll show them.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To all premier club supporters who dont watch div one but think themselves qualified to comment on it - trust me on this, most of what we see on MNS from the premier sides is no different to what you will see in highlights of first div matches.
    I don't consider myself qualified to comment directly on 1st division football. I do consider myself qualified to read league tables and draw basic conclusions from them. If there is a secret order dedicated to eschewing promotion and staying in the lower division while playing better football I think we should all know about it.
    Last edited by BohDiddley; 31/03/2009 at 3:11 PM. Reason: fixing

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I thought you only scored 4 goals against Mervue... Oh wait you must be on about the Kildare - Fingal rivalry, they scored 8 in that one!
    I was making reference to Limerick v Waterford toward the end of last season

Seriously though one of the issues is that the pundits wouldn't have a clue. It's bad enough that they don't know the players in all the Premier Division teams but can you imagine Roddy trying to discuss Division 1. He wouldn't be able to say he brought any of the players to the league!

Thats another thing I think MNS have got wrong, the ratio of talk to football is far too much in favour of the talk.
    LTID

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    I don't consider myself qualified to comment directly on 1st division football. I do consider myself qualified to read league tables and draw basic conclusions from them. If there is a secret order dedicated to eschewing promotion and staying in the lower division while playing better football I think we should all know about it.
    As I said, highlights of many first div would be as good as in the premier. There would be enough good stuff to find 3 minutes of quality footie between the six matches every weekend.

I said nothing about keeping up the standard for a whole season or more
    LTID

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    As I said, highlights of many first div would be as good as in the premier. There would be enough good stuff to find 3 minutes of quality footie between the six matches every weekend
    There's not enough time on the show to show a decent amount of coverage from PD games. If anything is going to be squeezed in it should be more highlights from the games that are currently shown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    As I said, highlights of many first div would be as good as in the premier. There would be enough good stuff to find 3 minutes of quality footie between the six matches every weekend.

I said nothing about keeping up the standard for a whole season or more
    And as many people have said it's just not feasible. To keep the footage to the quality the show seems to want for highlights, mns would need 6 extra teams every week to do what you ask, on a budget of 40% less than last year....

On the idea of just one Div 1 game a week, again its a case of sending extra people out and then you could well have picked the worst game of the lot.

Granted sending an extra team out means the same amount as last season but thats ignoring the budget cuts. Id imagine having one less game helps them with the cost cutting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast