Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What team should I follow?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dublin_owl View Post
    Are you saying you wouldn't welcome new fans to Shelbourne?
    Not at all. I, just would rather this one didn't come to Shels games. I said earlier in the thread but it was removed, that i think he's method of choosing a club is ridiculous (actually the word i used was stronger but if i use it again, i'll get a slap on the wrist)
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A stampead for 1 supporter by the Dub clubs... Must be stuck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jesus... I have to say, the passion you lads have is inspiring, in comparison to the comfort and complacency I usually see in football supporters

I will definitely be heading to a few game over the next season, I have decided that I won't be "picking" a team anytime soon, I am just going to experience the league until I can't stay indifferent to a team anymore!

Seriously guys, thanks a million for the replies. To be honest, I half expected to be berated for my opening post, I didn't think it'd be possible to outright ask passionate football fans their opinion on such a matter, but the encouragement and lively rivalry you guys share really is refreshing I honestly cannot wait for this weekend!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ticktock, most of us are just glad you've decided to come over from the dark side. I'm sure no matter where you go you'll be made welcome.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    TickTock you're far from unique on here. Plenty of us have only taken an interest in the league in recent years, or have fallen into following a particular team after visiting others. I saw a few games in Bray years ago when I lived there during college than had a big gap of never going to games. Started taking in a few Bohs games about 3 seasons ago and started to get the bug, then Wexford Youths were formed and my interest was really piqued, due to living in Dublin I only really get to Youths game up here or in Newbridge, but last season I started going to Rovers and Pat's games on a regular basis, now that I live in Tallagh, I've got a Rovers season ticket and I'll be taking in as many Youths games as I can make, happily none of the Youths fixtures in Dublin clash with Rovers home games. It's an addictive league, the football is good, and the passion of the hard core supporters is always inspiring. AS many others have advised, take a trip to all of the grounds within commuting distance and see if any one club or set of fans really drags you in.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
    Jesus... I have to say, the passion you lads have is inspiring, in comparison to the comfort and complacency I usually see in football supporters
    What do the rest of you think, lads, is it time to let ticktock in on the secret? Sure what the hell, he's clearly passed the point of no return...

You see, supporting a football club is like marriage, only without the possibility of divorce. You fall in love and can't wait to get hitched. Admittedly, you're a little unusual in that you're not yet sure which club is "the one", but you know you want to do it, so that's that.

Sadly, however, once the honeymoon glow wears off, humdrum reality (or worse) sets in. This accounts for the "comfort and complacency" (and corresponding lack of passion) you've observed in other fans.

As for the "passion" you've experienced on this board, do not be deceived - we just want to inveigle another inmate to the ranks, to add some passing interest to our own existence as "lifers", without hope of remission, release or pardon.

One further point. I mentioned that Divorce is not an option for genuine fans. Unfortunately, neither is having an "affair" with some other floozie which "eyes you up" from the back of the home terraces the next time you're "playing away".

For when you're stuck in a real marriage and own up to your mates that you've been enjoying a bit on the side, as often as not they'll dig you in the ribs, slap you on the back and say "Fair play to ye", before drinking your health and enquiring whether she has a sister. (It's the only known occasion in life when jealousy inspires good wishes, btw)

Whereas a football fan who confesses to taking an interest in some other club which is currently on a bit of a run, whilst his own is on a losing streak, will only attract scorn, derision and contempt.

So there you have it and good luck with your choice when you finally do get to stroll down the aisle. As someone who's saddled with a Premier League club of my own (Spurs), I've no doubt you had a lucky escape from your flirtation with Man Utd, for stripped of make-up, jewellery and designer clothes (which you paid for, btw), you'll realise that these "supermodels" are all the same - only out for what they can get.

Far better to stick to some homely LOI lassie; she might be plain, but there's a good chance she'll at least be able to cook!

(With due apologies to any female readers, for the appalling misogyny contained in this post)

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    Get the map out, put pins where all the teams are (Premier & 1st Division) within an hour's commute from where you live. Give them all a go, starting with the nearest. Judge them by their ethos, style of play, ambition, facilities and craic with the fans. You don't have to select one club straight away or even this season at all. Before you know it, you'll start gravitating to one over the others
    Best of luck and welcome
    Never mind facilities. As long as it's well lit everything else is just excess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    At the moment I'm so disillusioned with this jokeshop of a league and feeling so betrayed by those in charge that I'd be seriously tempted to say just stay completely clear of it.
    While I empathise greatly with the above sentiment I've fond myself getting progressively more excited about the new season again in the last couple of weeks despite our shambolic pre-season... There is no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by pixiehead View Post
    A stampead for 1 supporter by the Dub clubs... Must be stuck
    Sure there's enough of you trying to drag him back across the country to the fatherland too.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Bowsie View Post
    Not at all. I, just would rather this one didn't come to Shels games. I said earlier in the thread but it was removed, that i think he's method of choosing a club is ridiculous (actually the word i used was stronger but if i use it again, i'll get a slap on the wrist)
    Having read all three of your comments, I have to say it's people like you who will forever hold the league back. If a chap has no connection to any club how else would you expect them to pick a club? We need people like Ticktock for the league to ever have any hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    What do the rest of you think, lads, is it time to let ticktock in on the secret? Sure what the hell, he's clearly passed the point of no return...

You see, supporting a football club is like marriage, only without the possibility of divorce. You fall in love and can't wait to get hitched. Admittedly, you're a little unusual in that you're not yet sure which club is "the one", but you know you want to do it, so that's that.

Sadly, however, once the honeymoon glow wears off, humdrum reality (or worse) sets in. This accounts for the "comfort and complacency" (and corresponding lack of passion) you've observed in other fans.

As for the "passion" you've experienced on this board, do not be deceived - we just want to inveigle another inmate to the ranks, to add some passing interest to our own existence as "lifers", without hope of remission, release or pardon.

One further point. I mentioned that Divorce is not an option for genuine fans. Unfortunately, neither is having an "affair" with some other floozie which "eyes you up" from the back of the home terraces the next time you're "playing away".

For when you're stuck in a real marriage and own up to your mates that you've been enjoying a bit on the side, as often as not they'll dig you in the ribs, slap you on the back and say "Fair play to ye", before drinking your health and enquiring whether she has a sister. (It's the only known occasion in life when jealousy inspires good wishes, btw)

Whereas a football fan who confesses to taking an interest in some other club which is currently on a bit of a run, whilst his own is on a losing streak, will only attract scorn, derision and contempt.

So there you have it and good luck with your choice when you finally do get to stroll down the aisle. As someone who's saddled with a Premier League club of my own (Spurs), I've no doubt you had a lucky escape from your flirtation with Man Utd, for stripped of make-up, jewellery and designer clothes (which you paid for, btw), you'll realise that these "supermodels" are all the same - only out for what they can get.

Far better to stick to some homely LOI lassie; she might be plain, but there's a good chance she'll at least be able to cook!

(With due apologies to any female readers, for the appalling misogyny contained in this post)
    Best post ever!!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    You should support UCD; our penises are this long.

(Well, not literally as long as "this", but I just wanted to sum up the thread to date)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts

You see, supporting a football club is like marriage, only without the possibility of divorce.
    Yes, till death do you part, as all ten Dublin City fans found out.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You should support UCD; our penises are this long.

(Well, not literally as long as "this", but I just wanted to sum up the thread to date)
    We're different: UCD, the middle class football club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Charlie View Post
    Having read all three of your comments, I have to say it's people like you who will forever hold the league back. If a chap has no connection to any club how else would you expect them to pick a club? We need people like Ticktock for the league to ever have any hope.
    This league is way beyond redemption, it's own governing body is running it into the ground.

The FAI gave 2 clubs who went into examinership last season PD licences, financially helping one in order to meet the criteria, and giving the other a PD licence saying they'd met the criteria when less than 2 weeks later it has become apparent through the none payment of players that it was impossible for that club to have met the criteria but yeah you're right, i'm holding the league back

I hope the chap finds a club he loves and sticks with them through thick and thin, i just wish he didn't have to do it in such an "eeny meeny miny mo" fashion through this bleedin' website
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    If i may continue on with the analogy

True but her father is a **** and loves her brother a lot more.
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    So your beef is with the FAI then?

That's fair enough. If their incompetence stopped anyone from going to games, none of us would be going.

Celbridge aka C-Bridge aka The CBDG/Leeson Street
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    EalingGreen you fupping genius lol

Maybe the criteria should be based on who'll still be around in a few years?

Its one thing saddling up with the dirt bird.

Its quite another for it to be taken away from you before you've trained her to cook your roast the way you like it!
    "Football's not a matter of life and death... its much more important than that"

http://pintofunspecific.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post

I will definitely be heading to a few game over the next season, I have decided that I won't be "picking" a team anytime soon, I am just going to experience the league until I can't stay indifferent to a team anymore!

Seriously guys, thanks a million for the replies. To be honest, I half expected to be berated for my opening post, I didn't think it'd be possible to outright ask passionate football fans their opinion on such a matter, but the encouragement and lively rivalry you guys share really is refreshing I honestly cannot wait for this weekend!
    Keep us posted on how you are getting on over the coming weeks. It would be interesting to see what you think of each club(pros and cons), also interesting to see what club you eventually pick and why you picked it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Will you be coming along tomorrow night then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Of course he will... Wear a red hat so we can spot you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Well Tiktok. I'll throw in my tuppence worth but it'll be more an echo of whats said above. Don't try and create something. Get around the grounds, see the clubs come to town and don't expect or try to convince yourself your loving it. You might end up going to see Shels v Sporting Fingal and see something that sticks with you.It might be the lone Fingal supporter or it might be the quality of football (concentrate on the lone supporter ). And you'll want to go back.

I don't come from a part of the country where LoI football became part of my growing up.It was many years later on moving to Dublin that I might have found myself at Tolka Park or Dalymount. I felt nothing whatsoever but enjoyed the live football and wanted more of it. It was the FAI Cup Final of 1999 that saw me following Finn Harps there on in and though there have been many downs in those years and having since moved away from Donegal I still follow them and keep in touch albeit see them a hell of a lot less.

Let us know what you discover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

thats the best post iv ever read on an internet forum. masterpiece!
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast