Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What team should I follow?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Mr A, I'm a bit bemused by that comment. Why do you think fans turn out in far greater numbers in the majority (or very large minority) of leagues in Europe which are actually corrupt, with fixed matches and pay-offs all around? National associations only differ in their capacity to generate revenue and interest to cover their incompetence.

OP - Fingal, Shels or Bohs. Be warned that you'll probably be hooked from game one, so choose wisely.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ticktock View Post
    Basically, I have not followed any team but Manchester United since I was a kid. My dad, being from Galway, has always followed the expected side. Having recently been to a few united games, and having seriously REALLY caught the live football bug, I really don't think I can wait around for the occasional united match that me and my dad can afford. I really want to experience football on a more personal and regular basis...
    See, my friends don't follow football. At all. It's tough enough to find someone to watch a united match with ffs.
    My question is, having been born and bred in Dublin all my life, I would like to have more of an association with a team than "my dad is from there, so I feel I hafta support them".
    My main problem is, I don't know who to support.
    Who should I support? I live in Ayrfield, in Coolock, in Dublin. Am I automatically meant to support a side because of this location? Is there a load of dispute regarding my area that I need to know the background of before deciding? What is the team most supported in my area?
    And so on. If my question is not already clear, it is who should I support?
    If I was you, I'd go to Dalymount and see a few Bohs games.

Bohs are an old club with a large tradition in the northside of Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doesn't matter where your from. I'll be travelling from Raheny to Richmond park passing Dalymount and Tolka on the way every 2nd friday.
    1st game against Galway as previously said so it makes it more interesting for you.
    Bohs may have won alot last year but I dont find them great to watch.
    Plaese though dont go to Fingal they're a nothing club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    "If my question is not already clear, it is who should I support?"

Despite what some would say, imo there is no "Rule" determining who anyone should support. For supporting a team must actually be about feeling comfortable with your choice, so that you will still feel obliged to follow them through the bad times, all the better to enjoy the good times. And whether that easy feeling derives from having been brought up "within a goalkick" of the club in question, or from sticking a pin in a map, shouldn't matter a jot (imo)

So now you've got the "bug" for LOI football generally, my advice would be visit a few clubs local to you in Dublin and see if you get the same feeling for any particular one of them.
    If you do, you're sorted. If not, then stick with following Galway from afar, for if you really have got the bug for them, then you'll find a way of getting to see them, initially when they're playing in Dublin, possibly in future more so at home.

Above all, don't feel in some way disappointed should you "default" to Galway. For in 20 years time you may be living somewhere where it might be difficult to follow your new Dublin club. And you might then have kids of your own, who are in a similar dilemma about whom they should follow.

Should that be the case, they might just thank you (and you them) if they choose Galway on the basis that their Dad follows them, as did his Dad before.

Afterthought. Before you start visiting prospective Dublin clubs, you might want to contact GUFC to see whether they have any supporters local to you in Dublin who regularly travel to their home games (a note in the Programme, perhaps?). It might be possible for you travel with them, for a contribution towards petrol etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    What made you pick Man Utd? If you can sense why you like them, then picking a club here is easier.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My first Bohs match was as a bandwagoner in the Champions League a few years back, v Bate Borisov. I hadn't got the wit to write down how amazing an experience it was, but one chap from New Jersey did.
    One of the best descriptions for how it feels to be a Bohs fan, rusty pylons, goosebumps and all.
    He gets it.... Well worth the read before you go off and do something silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm gonna try to watch/get to a couple of games over the next few weeks, I think you're right, that it'll need to be a more organic decision. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    What made you pick Man Utd? If you can sense why you like them, then picking a club here is easier.
    With Man Utd it was the whole nepotism thing basically. My dad passed down his support for United, and it was a pretty exciting time for a kid to get into football through United (Cantona etc.), and the EPL was pretty popular in school so I guess it just stuck!

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to getting into a football season where I can experience live matches on a weekly basis!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    My first Bohs match was as a bandwagoner in the Champions League a few years back, v Bate Borisov. I hadn't got the wit to write down how amazing an experience it was, but one chap from New Jersey did.
    One of the best descriptions for how it feels to be a Bohs fan, rusty pylons, goosebumps and all.
    He gets it.... Well worth the read before you go off and do something silly.
    Thanks for that link, it's a great read! Really seems like a world apart from the scale and spectacle of Old Trafford, I'll have to experience it for myself soon

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Doesn't matter where your from
    There was a time when where you were from was the only thing that determined what club you support.

Am I missing something or is ticktock taking the p1ss???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redie View Post
    There was a time when where you were from was the only thing that determined what club you support.

Eh? What?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redie View Post
    Yes, you are missing something - there are 3 teams on the Northside of Dublin, all worthy of support, all within a short journey for ticktock; also another 3 on the southside, if you feel like a longer commute.

To answer the original question - Fingal are your nearest team - playing out of Morton Stadium in Santry just a 17a busride away - but Tolka Park on Richmond Rd is probably just as easy to get to from Ayrefield & both these teams are likely to be top of the 1st division this year, so you are most likely to support winning teams there. On the downside, as its the 1st div, the standard of opposition may not be great & the crowds & atmosphere can be - changeable - 1200 people & great craic for the top of table crucial games, or 200 people & the wind whistling around you at some other games. Bohs are a bit further away from you, but should be near the top of the Prem. div, so crowds should always be decent & the opposition too should normally be good.
    I'd recommend getting to a couple of the Galway-away games in Dublin & give it time - no one says you have to pick a team immediately

(or at all - i'm supporting the league for 20 years & still have no home team - I'll happily support whoever is in European comp & get to odd home games of all the Dublin teams)
    Last edited by CuanaD; 02/03/2009 at 4:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Support Longford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I think the best advice from most in here is go to a few different games to see what you think. The reason i picked sporting was because i was new to the league and i wanted to start with a club that was new also. Enjoy the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    there are 3 teams on the Northside of Dublin, all worthy of support, all within a short journey for ticktock; also another 3 on the southside, if you feel like a longer commute.
    The others will try to tell you otherwise, or fudge the geography, but only one is native to the northside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fingal would be closest but there's not much history there or much of a fanbase at the moment anyway. I'd say Bohs or Shels, but obviousle I'm leaning slightly towards Shels . Best thing to do is try a few matches and see what feels best.

Shels are home to Wexford this Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Come to think of it aswell, of the 3 north Dublin clubs Shels are the only one playing in Dublin this week. So come on down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamper.sffc View Post
    The reason i picked sporting was because i was new to the league and i wanted to start with a club that was new also. Enjoy the games.
    I bet you get distracted by shiny objects on the ground too...
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red View Post
    I bet you get distracted by shiny objects on the ground too...
    Yaaawwwwwnnnn

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers1 View Post
    Support Longford
    Aye, and the sligwegians walk the walk as well as talk the talk on that!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasnevinRed View Post
    Come to think of it aswell, of the 3 north Dublin clubs Shels are the only one playing in Dublin this week. So come on down.
    GlasnevinRed is spot on!
    Come down to Tolka, we'll be there to welcome you.
    There are really only 10 types of person; those who can read binary and those who can't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast