Ceart go leor tets.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I don't see why he wouldn't still want to play for us. He always seemed keen and even cancelled his stag-do in Las Vegas and postponed his honeymoon to travel to the US for our end-of-season friendly tour in 2014: http://thestar.ie/about-us/oneill-la...-his-own-stag/
    That kind of commitment is great to hear . Heartening to hear a player wanting to turn up so enthusiastically .....

Martin seemed impressed by his show of commitment at the time:
    That kind of commitment is great to hear . Heartening to hear a player wanting to turn up so enthusiastically .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Elliot started again for Newcastle away to Cardiff tonight. Score is still 0-0 with the second half just having kicked off.

Clark is playing in front of him and Murphy is up front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Elliot starts today in goals for Newcastle, Clark in central defence

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Very positive to see them both start first game out. Keep Kane quiet and they'll give themselves a good platform for the rest of the season and, as importantly, the rest of the transfer window.

That's Clark and Duffy both starting in the PL this weekend. Ward and Elliott also. And Randolph and Christie impressing for Boro. And Coleman on the road to recovery in a positive manner. Good week for our back 5.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Dummett off injured so Clark has to play left back for the rest of the match as Lascelles comes into his centre half spot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    With Tim Krul being sold to Brighton (http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41117851) does this mean that Elliot is now Benitez's choice for Newcastle No.1. And if so, what would (or should) it take for him to unseat Randolph as our No.1?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Krul's gone on loan but, yes, this means Elliot is Benitez's first choice. I don't think that means he should be Ireland's first choice though - Randolph is performing at a high enough level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Being honest I wouldn't have thought Elliot was a better goalkeeper than Krul.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Being honest I wouldn't have thought Elliot was a better goalkeeper than Krul.
    Did Krul have a bad injury . I think so . He was in great form a while back and was there not talk of a move to some big club............Some would say Newcastle are a big club but they are certainly big in the basket case club league.........

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    yeah, cruciate.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Elliot made a great save in today's game against Brighton (which Newcastle lost 1-0). Video of the save here: https://streamable.com/7rvd4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Elliot made a great save in today's game against Brighton (which Newcastle lost 1-0). Video of the save here: https://streamable.com/7rvd4
    He's probably our most in-form goalkeeper right now.

Westwood had another poor outing in the Sheffield derby. He was questionable for three of the four goals I think. Took a step in the wrong direction for the opener, a free kick which he should have been able to save comfortably. He was caught at his near post when Duffy scored United's third, although it was a rocket. Might be slightly harsh on him for their fourth but I thought he could have been a bit quicker to close down Clarke who dinked it over him.

Randolph wasn't great for Fulham's goal on Saturday either. It came from a floating cross into the box (that Christie could have done more to prevent in the first place) which I think he should have taken control of. Christie redeemed himself a couple of minutes later by scoring the equaliser.

18. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Westwood had another poor outing in the Sheffield derby. He was questionable for three of the four goals I think. Took a step in the wrong direction for the opener, a free kick which he should have been able to save comfortably. He was caught at his near post when Duffy scored United's third, although it was a rocket. Might be slightly harsh on him for their fourth but I thought he could have been a bit quicker to close down Clarke who dinked it over him.
    Alas and alack yet another poor day at the office for Keiren. I put it down to me meeting him in Preston and telling him he should be Ireland's No. 1. He's barely made a save since then. The first goal from the free kick reminded me of one he conceded for Ireland (possibly against Iceland - not sure) where he was totally flat footed. Mind you the defence didn't help him out much yesterday. Was impressed with Enda Stevens. Neither O'Connell or Duffy who play for the Blades seem to have any Irish connection.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Premier League regular Rob Elliot reckons he can have no complaints about playing second fiddle to Darren Randolph': https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...rren-randolph/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Elliot
    It’s pretty simple, with my injury and being out for so long, Darren has been magnificent, he has been consistent both with club form and the national team. He is the number one. At the moment, all I can do is work hard, play well for *Newcastle, train hard when I am here.

I have known Darren a long time so I stay supportive and make sure that he is in the best place, ready for the games. If Darren does well, then the team does well, we all want to go on together and whatever role you play on and off the pitch, you have to do that. Once it comes to the fact that we are going to Russia next Tuesday night, that’s the main thing.
    The article mentions that Elliot and Randolph know each other from when they were teenage team-mates at Charlton. Never knew that.

Just on the general keeper situation, who actually is next in line after Randolph now? Would O'Neill prefer Elliot to Westwood?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    No real way of kowing until the next friendly or if Randolph picks up a knock or suspension. Quite possible though with Westwood pulling out of yet another squad recently, albeit through no fault of his own again. His form is also the poorest its been in ages with Elliot seemingly performing consistently at a higher level.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    'Premier League regular Rob Elliot reckons he can have no complaints about playing second fiddle to Darren Randolph': https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...rren-randolph/

The article mentions that Elliot and Randolph know each other from when they were teenage team-mates at Charlton. Never knew that.

Just on the general keeper situation, who actually is next in line after Randolph now? Would O'Neill prefer Elliot to Westwood?
    You'd imagine Elliot is second based on his selection for pre-Euros friendlies (when he got injured) and O'Neill's own words on the subject. That said, I don't think MON is particularly rigid in his selection - if a guy is playing better he'll select him.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I see Rob was warming the bench last night for Newcastle against WBA but at least his replacement conceded two.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I see Rob was warming the bench last night for Newcastle against WBA but at least his replacement conceded two.
    Jeff Stelling talking about the Newcastle match against Man City the last night -

"In fairness, games against Manchester City are a great opportunity for goalkeepers to show their qualities, we always wondered why Rob Elliot was left out and he made us scratch our head a bit more after his performance the other night".

Phil Thompson then talked us through a couple of his saves and said he's been brilliant since returning from injury.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast