Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hodgson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts

Roy Hodgson

Although he was a leading candidate (among posters here anyway) for the Ieland job, I've thought that a thread on him is probably more appropriate in World Football as I don't want discussion to be a Roy vs Trap debate.

What do people think given what we've seen of him in England so far (one year back I think)?

How they survived the drop is amazing and I think luck had a fair bit to do with it. He had a slow start and an extraordinary late run when it mattered.

This year, with the pressure off, I think he's done very well. He's created a well-balanced team playing good football and getting good results for a team of Fulham's status.

I've been impressed and think he'd be a great catch for Ireland if, as rumoured, Trap doesn't stay beyond Sth Africa 2010. I think Dion Fanning's rejection of him as being a bullsh1tting UEFAcrat is looking foolish now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Does he take over from Bobby Robson as successful European manager from England?

Obviously keeping Fulham up is a great achievement, but it benefits the club more than him. He has a long CV.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 12/01/2009 at 1:44 PM. Reason: Spellings: i before e.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    If he ever gets the gig I'm going along to his first press conference just so I can shout "W-elease W-odger!" at him.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    He is one of the best managers in the modern game. His knowledge of systems, tactics, players and opposition weaknesses is unsurpassed in the Premier League. You only have to look at his record at both club and country level to see that.

For the first time in 30 years he took the Swiss to two finals (WC 94 and Euro 96). For WC 94, he brought the Swiss through a group that contained Italy, Portugal and Scotland (who were still a force back then). In the group stages they beat a quality Romania side 4-1, drew 1-1 with the hosts (USA). Spain in the second round was a bridge too far but they still did very well (as well as we did in 1994) and were a very inexperienced team. For Euro 96 they qualified top of a group which contained Sweden and Turkey and only lost one match (home to Turkey, who they actually beat away). In the actual tournament they collapsed to a degree, after a decent start (1-1 draw with England) with 2-0 and 1-0 defeats to the Dutch and Scots. It should be remembered that the Swiss were utterly in the doldrums before he took over.

I think his big mistake was taking the Inter job in 1995, and remaining as the Swiss manager, he couldn't do both jobs justice and well he did well to get to the UEFA Cup final (lost on pens to Schalke) he should have taken one or the other. In the end inter finished 3rd in 1997 (he was sacked before the last 2 games), behind Juve and Parma (who both spent a lot more than Inter in terms of buying players).

He was a serious contender for the German national team manager in 1998, but it went to Erich Ribbeck instead. He then took over FCK (Copenhagen) in Denmark and won the league with them in 2001 (their first for nearly a decade) and one that finally signalled the demise of Brondby (Aarhuis and Herfolge had won it in the previous 2 years but before then it had almost always been Brondby. He then left for Udinese and won most of his games there before being replaced by Spaletti (now in charge of Roma) who guided Udinese to the champions league with a squad largely assembled and developed by Hodgson.

In most of the countries where he has worked he'e very highly regarded, take this from Sweden:

"The English influence, however, does not stop with live transmission of Premiership games. The two coaches who started the revolution that led to Swedish clubs doing extremely well in the 1970s and early 1980s were both English. The contribution of Bob Houghton and Roy Hodgson cannot be underestimated. They completely transformed Swedish football in the late 1970s as they brought 4-4-2, pressing and revolutionary training techniques to the country. Houghton came to Sweden in 1973 after spells as assistant coach at Ipswich and head coach at Maidstone and won his first league title in his first year with Malmo FF. In 1975, his mate from Croydon, Hodgson, led Halmstad to their first title.

The success of the two coaches caused an almighty debate in Sweden. Many saw their football as extremely defensive, too organised and consisting of too many long balls (funny then that, 30 years later, the FA decided to employ a Swede heavily influenced by Houghton and Hodgson as the coach to take England forward). The other camp, led by Lars 'Laban' Arneson, was preaching 4-3-3 and free-flowing football. In the end, he was run over by the continued success of 'the English way'. It culminated with Malmo FF reaching the 1979 European Cup final and IFK Gothenburg, under Eriksson, winning the 1982 Uefa Cup"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...cup2006.sport3

Anyone with an in depth knowledge of the European game knows about Hodgson's ability to coach, develop and tactically deploy players in an astute way. He is highly regarded on the continent, but the myopic hype-driven press in Ireland and UK simply cannot see this and rate the likes of Jewell ahead of him. Dion Fanning, is so wide of the mark with his UEFAcrat remark is beyond belief, and actually shows him up for the spoofer he his.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Remarkable job by Hodgson. In his understated way he has created a top 10 side from relegation certs in one year. Fulham are one of the few teams in the Premiership who try to beat the top 5. They look a very balanced side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I was fully behind his appointment as Ireland manager and if Trap does go in a year or so then I would love if Hodgson got the job. He would have been and could be perfect for us.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 12/01/2009 at 5:26 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Yeah I was fully behind his appoitment as Ireland manager and if Trap does go in a year or so then I would love if Hodgson got the job. He would have been and could be perfect for us.
    I'd agree with all of that. Well, except for the typo, "appoitment".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Agree with a lot of the above but think that boat has sailed. He was under the radar before in the World of the EPL but is to the fore now and would imagine he would get better/more attractive offers than Ireland.

Thought I read that he was sounded out for the Ireland job but declined as he knew Fulham was on the cards ? I thought at the time - at least he was asked

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In fairness, he got very lucky last year with the relegation battle. If they had drawn one of those games, he'd be in the Championship now, wouldn't have been able to sign the players he did, and probably be mid-table.

It's a very thin line.

He is doing well this season tho. Well organised defence anyway.
    The glass isn't half full or half empty it's just too damn big!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It is a very thin line. If United had been awarded a penalty for the blatent foul by Distin on Ronaldo in the FA Cup quarter final last season presumably United would have gone on to win the match (a match they should have won comfortably anyway). This would have obviously resulted in Pompey not contesting the FA Cup Final against Cardiff in May and therefore fielding their strongest team in their final league match of the season at Fratton Park against a Fulham side needing a victory to survive. In these circumstances it would have been difficult to see Fulham coming away from one of the most difficult of venues with 3 points as they did against a second string Pompey.

That being said Hodgson deserves huge credit for putting Fulham in a position where they had a fighting chance of survival come the final league match anyway as they were completely written off a few matches previously. Futhermore the progress they have made this season is phenominal. Liverpool have drawn quite a number of matches at Anfield this season but Fulham are about the only side that came away with a point having played a lot of football themselves. They played with 2 up front that day which is rare enough in itself for lower teams visiting Anfield and they have pure footballers in midfield with Bullard, Murphy, Dempsey and Davies with quality like Gera often restricted to the bench. They badly need a goalscoring forward though with Zamora grossly limited and Andy Johnson not firing on all cylinders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    lads, some perspective here...what makes ye think he would leave Fulham to manage Ireland??
    no manager in the premiership, and no non irish manager in the championship would walk away from a job to take the Ireland job

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I have to put my hand up and admit I thought he was another David Pleat: articulate, intelligent but an overrated manager. However, looks as if many of the above have been shown to be correct. Doubt if Fulham will be able to keep him. Where next?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Ideal next manager for Liverpool I would have thought. Should be able to steady the ship and proven ability to get the best out of average players. If he brought Hangeland and Zamora with him it could be very useful.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 04/05/2010 at 12:34 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have to put my hand up and admit I thought he was another David Pleat: articulate, intelligent but an overrated manager. However, looks as if many of the above have been shown to be correct. Doubt if Fulham will be able to keep him. Where next?
    Strikes me as a loyal and honest man so imo win the europa league or not he will give Fulham at least one more season. Though i can see why he would move on if a bigger club came in for him as i am sure he would think can he do anymore with Fulham unless an Arab comes in and also may feel he won't get another chance to move to a bigger club. Anyway i think he will be with them next season.
    Lets talk about six baby

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Id love to see Roy Hodgson as England manager but will Fabio be there to long that Roy might have retired?. If England get to at least the Semis then Fab will probably get a new contract but if they win it will Fabio quit while hes ahead who knows? I think Liverpool might make a swoop for Hodgson but would that be a good move after all if he failed there all his good work with Fulham would probably be forgotten and he defiantly wouldnt have a chance of getting the England job.

But looking at short term things I defiantly think Roy Hodgson should get the manager of the year award.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Ideal next manager for Liverpool I would have thought. Should be able to steady the ship and proven ability to get the best out of average players. If he brought Hangeland and Zamora with him it could be very useful.
    He is the very type of manager Liverpool need IMO, Very likable man and has a great relationship with the media. Appar. Inter have him lined up if Jose decides to jump ship, from all accounts he is still friends with Inter's owner and they keep in contact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Very likable man and has a great relationship with the media. .
    He has a great relationship with the media because he's intelligent, open and honest. They ask a question, he gives them a complete and comprehensive answer.

Incredibly likeable for that reason.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He has a great relationship with the media because he's intelligent, open and honest. They ask a question, he gives them a complete and comprehensive answer.

Incredibly likeable for that reason.
    Yeah seems to have basic manners. Never seems to get involved in situations with other managers nor attack them not blow himself up. Fat Sam could learn a lot from him.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    All of them. Benitez, Wenger, Ferguson, O'neill.

Moyes is a bit of a hot head but seems honest enough to me
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    All of them. Benitez, Wenger, Ferguson, O'neill.

Moyes is a bit of a hot head but seems honest enough to me
    Yeah would agree with all that boss. Although would be interesting to see if he would remain calm and all that if he was in charge of a big club.
    Lets talk about six baby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast