Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free documentaries online

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    [QUOTE=jamie m;1269485]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    Struggling to find the name on this one but I watched a fantastic documentary which followed a family in Baghdad through a year post the collapse of Saadam Hussein's regime. Its similar to Death in Gaza actually and I mean to buy that documentary.

If anyone can get the name of the one I'm thinking. I'm mixing it up a bit with something else here but basically the only chance of survival was to move the family out of Iraq and it follows them to Syria.

I havent seen it but is this the one you are talking about
    http://www.dfgdocs.com/Directory/Titles/1630.aspx

Another really good one is The Road to Guantanamo, by Michael Winterbottom. Its part-documentary/part-drama based around the experiences of the "Tipton 3" who after 9/11 crossed into Afghanistan on their way to a wedding in Pakistan, were accused of been al-qaeda/taliban ans subsequently sent to Guantanamo bay. Whats really amazing about is the lack of bitterness they display despite the treatment they received.

Thats the one Jamie. Great documentary and well worth watching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie m View Post
    Death In Gaza- About the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict with particular emphasis on the impact on Palestinian children. The director James Miller also planned a similiar film focusing on Israeli kids but sadly he died after been shot by an Israeli soldier during the making of the documentary.
    I planned to buy that one recently. I might well consider adding it to my collection too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    The Devil and Daniel Johnson

Brilliant insight into cult music figure Daniel Johnson (inspired a litany of bands including Nirvana) who suffers from manic depression - as funny as it is thought-provoking.

10/10

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    fran assistant manager!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Great thread. Gonna have to take a bit of time and have a look. Some good stuff there already.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Some Kind of Monster. A documentary about the making of the Metallica album, St. Anger. I recommend this to anybody who is into music of any kind. The band really don't come out well from it, but I admire them for releasing it, warts n' all.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...kindofmonster/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Interesting repeat on RTE lastnight of Secret Billionaire -- The Chuck Feeney Story. The man has given approx. $1.2bn in donations already to Ireland alone, along with funding projects in 6 other countries. His charity now has a deadline to give away their last $3 billion before 2016. An amazing story!

Maybe we could interest him in the LOI!!

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...y-1726824.html
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Watched Documentary last night on Sky3.
    Its was about a boy in Fiji, He was tied up for 22 years.
    Anyone see it?
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Anyone know any good travel/history documentaries about the Middle East or China?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    if you like reading books, Robert Kaplan is your best bet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Anyone know any good travel/history documentaries about the Middle East or China?
    Episode 3 I think of Michael Palins Full Circle covers him travelling in China, although probably somewhat out of date now as it was filmed in the mid to late 1990's if I'm not mistaken. Anything to do with his travels though I find is always well worth watching.

As regards the Middle East, I've only watched about 20 minutes of Ross Kemps two part special on Israel and Gaza shown on Sky there lately, seemed pretty good though.
    The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
    Muhammad Ali

Roy Keane is still a pri*k!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    if you like reading books, Robert Kaplan is your best bet
    I'm about read out at the moment. Been trying to get through as much as possible since November and still have a huge pile on my bedside table to get through. Robert Fisk alone will take a month!

But I'll search out Mr Kaplan

Mayo Red, I like Palin so will definately look for that episode. Can't stand Kemp so might steer clear of the second recommendation.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Should def try Paul Merton In China, was on channel 5 a while back but there are still a good few old torrents of it around. Was hilarious, not as good as his Indian one but worth watching all the same. See he has a new one out as well in Europe - great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Check out the BBC production of Wild China which is approx 350 mins long.I have it.Just haven't watched it yet.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Never seen it and don't know anything about it, but have at least heard of Meet the Stans on BBC. Don't see it on amazon, though, but there's YouTube clips if you really want!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    For anybody interested in African history there are a series of programmes uncovering the Lost Kingdom's of Africa on BBC4. I'm watching the 3 one at the minute which is based on a lost civilisation in Benin. The first two feature Nubia and Ethiopia.

You won't be disappointed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm about read out at the moment. Been trying to get through as much as possible since November and still have a huge pile on my bedside table to get through. Robert Fisk alone will take a month!

But I'll search out Mr Kaplan

Mayo Red, I like Palin so will definately look for that episode. Can't stand Kemp so might steer clear of the second recommendation.
    Michael Wood when he follows Alexander the Great (In the footsteps of Alexander) goes through Uzbekistan and a number of ME countries.

Purely for the ME some historical docu's like the Crusades (Terry Jones) and if you go on google video and check out Timurlan/Tamerlane there are some very interesting choices that cover the Asian republics and China.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Like weecountyman say Michael Wood is an excellent presenter on the Alexander the Great programmes. He has also done ancient Yemen, it's not an 'Inside Yemen' rubbish.

At the moment Diarmuid MacCullough is the BBC's favoured son for 'History of Christainity'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ntrqh [not available in my area, maybe it's available in your area.]
    There's one of these series every few years, one from the past had a small balding presenter can't find it now.

Kate/Katie Humble of animal programmes did a Frankincense Road series. She carries unprocessed frankincense from Oman or further east through the Arabian penisula and Petra (Jordan). Because it is now the year 2010 a large amount of each programme deals with Islam. Humble enjoys herself and tries to engage with everyone.
    (She written an article for The Independent (London) Sat. 06/02/2010 on the quieter areas of Afghanistan, pron. Afghanistan, so she appears to be interested in that sort of stuff. Researched last summer).

I only saw some episodes but an interesting idea '80 Trades Around the World'. Englishman carries currency or some local item to a destination and tries to trade/barter/work to increase his wealth and then moves on. Some episodes had some long-term planning he invested in some large pieces of semi-precious stones he needed carved to sell on again, somewhere else.
    One episode had him researching South African wines, haggling for ordinary and Reseve products and then trying to sell the bottles to restaurants in China. I imagine each episode gets him into a community quickly.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 10/02/2010 at 2:09 AM. Reason: spelling: 'I' before someone 'C'
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I watched Banged up abroad about an Irish Girl Zoe McGarry who ended up in prison in Ecuador for trafficking Cocaine. I've seen a few of these on the same topic and read a great book (Marching powder by Rusty Young http://www.marchingpowder.com/ an excellent read) and normally they admit that they were caught, maybe they had been naive etc.. but they admitted to the charge.
    She was adamant she had been framed by a "friend" but I have to say I found her story rather implausible. Maybe I’m a cynic but I think there was more to it than meets the eye, I won’t go into too much detail for those who haven’t seen it but for those who have, I have one question. Guilty or not?
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast