Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Players to Watch Out for This Year

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Young Players to Watch Out for This Year

Anyone care to post about young unseen talent at your club that may come to prominence this season?

I'll start with Dundalk

Tiernan Mulvenna
    Shane Greene

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randomcomment View Post
    Anyone care to post about young unseen talent at your club that may come to prominence this season?

I'll start with Dundalk

Tiernan Mulvenna
    Shane Greene
    Tiernan Mulvenna - Heard loads about this kid last season but on then 2 occassions i saw him was dissapointed. I hear he is a real hope for Dundalk though.

Bray have a raft of really good young players coming through, many of them have played 1st team footie already. With time and and experience they should all make great players in the league, some i reckon could make it at a higher level. Gareth Coughlan and Dane Massey will both be big players for us next season i reckon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    At Harps there is 3 of our A-League team signed for the first team.

Christy Conaghan - right midfielder, bags of ability and if given the chance will do well.

Gary Whoriskey - left midfielder, very fast and has a good left foot, again will do well if given the chance.

Patrick Bonner - son of Denis Bonner and nephew of Packie, plays at centre mid or right mid, very tidy player, rarely gives the ball away and while not a player who will grab headlines he will do a valuable job.

The above signings are all promising but whether our "special one" will continue to bring in Journey men from Derry ahead of young talented locals remains to be seen.

We have some very promising local lads in our underage teams but they will likely leave the club as they have no chance of coming through in the current regime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll start with Dundalk

Tiernan Mulvenna
    Shane Greene
    Mulvenna scored 6 or 7 goals for us last season...has lightning pace and a very good sence of keeping the ball...his first touch tends to let him down and he needs to improve on his one on ones...but scored the fastest goal of the 1st Division last season against shels after 20 seconds. Really one for the future and hes now ona full time contract to keep hm with us.

Shane Greene plays in midfield, palyed in the league cup game against Monaghan last season and looks alright.thats all iv seen of him.

We also have a young striker coming throught he youths called Billy Smith...came on as a sub last season late in a game....hes banged alot of goals in for the youths on their way to the cup final against weford last year!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Hopefully lots for us, seeing as our team next year is going to feature a lot of the A Team players from last year. To single one out - Keith Ward, a nippy winger in the Shane Fitz role but who's far more direct and, in theory, effective.

Would imagine Evan McMillan will be seeing a lot more first team action next year too. Decent centre half signed from Mount Merrion two years ago; him and his brother scored the goals in the A League Final, and Evan scored in both League Cup games last year, so he's a threat at the lower level anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We have a lad called Aaron McLean (I think that's his name) who scored against the big club in the League cup and generally was reckoned to have ran the show. Also played great for Northern Ireland in the Milk Cup (in which they won the elite section). He's a winger, might get a game now that McGinn is gone. We're generally light on the wings anyway. Hopefully he can make the breakthrough
    May I hoke a reek?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69 View Post
    Tiernan Mulvenna - Heard loads about this kid last season but on then 2 occassions i saw him was dissapointed. I hear he is a real hope for Dundalk though.
    Yeah T is the big hope for us next season, although I dont expect him to be playing every week. He`s still very young, only 19 I think, but he has a great burst of pace and can leave defenders for dead, whether he can repeat this v prem div players will be the big test. have a look at the goal he scored on www.dundalkfc.com, go to dfc tv section (i cant access link here), look at his goal v Fingal in the second game. This won goal of the season (well for us)

He`s already signed a full time contract for 2009.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    We would have 3-4 excellent prospects but I'm not going to alert clubs that pay wages by naming them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    At Limerick it would have to be Jason Hughes. Just back from a trial with Birmingham City and if he is still with Limerick next season, he will be a huge part of our team at only 17.

Others to watch out would be our 20 year old goalkeeper David Ryan who I think has hugely improved over the past year.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    We have a lad called Aaron McLean (I think that's his name) who scored against the big club in the League cup and generally was reckoned to have ran the show. Also played great for Northern Ireland in the Milk Cup (in which they won the elite section). He's a winger, might get a game now that McGinn is gone. We're generally light on the wings anyway. Hopefully he can make the breakthrough
    His name is James McLean good player and has made a few appearances for the 1st team already, hes tall but dont think hes an out and out winger

garyderry
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    We would have 3-4 excellent prospects but I'm not going to alert clubs that pay wages by naming them
    i doubt too many clubs would be looking he for prosepcts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black and White View Post
    ...his first touch tends to let him down and he needs to improve on his one on ones...
    I have to disagree, imo it is his technique and first touch that sets him above the average....somebody drills a pass at him and he manages to get the ball to stick. He doesn't panic either, he seems aware of the options and holds and distributes well. I agree with the one on ones (which due to his lightening pace he gets a few esp when the ball is put over the top of a high defensive line) he aint that composed but due to his small physique i tend to think he will end up on the wing rather than leading the line and be kicked about by some decent defenders...in the premier they wont be so easily turned and left for dead! He had better start working on his crossing or he will end up on the fringes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    If Dane Massey is half as good an 11 a side player as he is a futsal player then he's gonna be class. Best player in the futsal by a country mile so interesting to see how he gets on in Bray's first team. Mulvenna is a bit patchy. Murdered us a couple of times but never had a great game against us on the other hand. Comes in and out of games a bit. But a promising talent nonetheless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Tiernan Mulvenna
    Completely overrated by Dundalk fans, especially Dundalk FM commentators and anyone from Muirhevna Mor.

He cant do anything wrong in the eyes of some people.

Yeah he is a good player but not as much as some people make out.
    Children in the dark cause accidents.
    Accidents in the dark cause children.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    His name is James McLean good player and has made a few appearances for the 1st team already, hes tall but dont think hes an out and out winger
    A very good player. I think he will be the next big money transfer from Derry to Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post

Gary Whoriskey - left midfielder, very fast and has a good left foot, again will do well if given the chance.

Hmmmmm..... interesting!
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    A very good player. I think he will be the next big money transfer from Derry to Celtic.

Hmmmmm..... interesting!
    Why??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Orrin Farrell for Kildare County I reckon is a brilliant prospect. Signed for us in the summer and hes only 17, in the Irish U.18 squad.
    Cmon County!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev mcq View Post
    Why??
    a relation of Hugo maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyderry View Post
    i doubt too many clubs would be looking he for prosepcts
    On the contrary, I'd say plenty of clubs would be looking he for prospects... whatever that means?
    There are really only 10 types of person; those who can read binary and those who can't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McDee View Post
    That's exactly what I came in to post. One game doesn't make a player, but from what I've seen of him he looks to be an exciting prospect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast