Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...801.html?r=RSS

Nigel Worthington has turned the tables on the Republic of Ireland by persuading Alex Bruce to switch his international allegiance to Northern Ireland.

The Leeds United defender was twice capped by the Republic, but remains eligible for Northern Ireland due to those games being friendlies and he has now agreed to turn out for Northern Ireland.

Provided Fifa agree to the switch in time Bruce could make his debut in next month's Euro 2012 qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

Worthington has seen the likes of Darron Gibson, Marc Wilson, Shane Duffy and Daniel Devine switch to the Republic as the Irish FA fights against eligibility rules regarding Northern Ireland born players.
    Really amused by the BT's new-found vagueness.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    This whole charade is somewhat unsettling regarding the significance of international football. Bruce isn't a kid, hes 26 and should by now know his identity and what nationality he belongs to. To switch national allegiance because he isn't getting picked just seems vile to me. Your country is your country regardless, and if Bruce's attitude is clearly to play for the best international team that'll take him I wonder how many others in our squad are the same.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well, as pointed out in numerous other posts, everyone's got the choice until they play a competitive game....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Not sure if he is going to improve NI's chances of beating the Faroes. That game is still too close to call. Always good to see two evenly matched teams up against one another.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The only loss here is to the North's credibility
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    seventy two euros and thirty-six cents Nigel. Every last bit of it. Plus the six euro priority boarding pass. Only time Bruce'll get on before a host of others.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    This whole charade is somewhat unsettling regarding the significance of international football. Bruce isn't a kid, hes 26 and should by now know his identity and what nationality he belongs to. To switch national allegiance because he isn't getting picked just seems vile to me. Your country is your country regardless, and if Bruce's attitude is clearly to play for the best international team that'll take him I wonder how many others in our squad are the same.
    Well, arguably Bruce has two nationalities. He's British-born but is also entitled to Irish nationality. Technically, you could even say he has three countries under FIFA rules. In saying that, his previous comments with regard to why he opted for us and his current actions in light of those comments do leave him vulnerable to criticism from the anti-mercenary brigade (I'm not necessarily using that patronisingly or in a dismissive manner, by the way) and make a mockery of any notions of national allegiance you'd hope players might have. But them's the rules.

I wouldn't imagine the attitude is a common thing throughout the squad. We have players like Kilbane, McGeady, McCarthy and Clark who are extremely proud of their Irish heritage. Some of those went through quite a lot and were at the receiving end of incessant vitriolic abuse because of their display of allegiance to their nation, but it didn't dent their pride. Then there are the northern players who've opted for us even if it will expose them to greater competition for places and less game-time. I think that's a very brave and positive show of commitment, as it's a risky move career-wise. Shane Duffy would be making NI senior squads right now. Gibson and Wilson would also be playing more pivotal roles than those they perform for Ireland had they stuck with the IFA all those years ago. As for guys like Robbie, Shay and Richard Dunne, it would be difficult to take the jersey off them. They love playing for Ireland.

Just as an aside, Tony Kane and Michael O'Connor, after declaring their intentions to switch to the FAI from the IFA and joining up with a few Ireland squads for friendlies, later decided they might have a better chance of regularly playing back at the IFA and returned north.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Good luck to him, nice to see someone keen to play international football for a change.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The only loss here is to the North's credibility
    That statement includes a massive assumption.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Good luck to him, a decent addition for NI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    The spin-doctors have arrived at OWC:

Ermmm, it was Alex Bruce that first approached his Leeds United coach Glynn Snoddin about the possibility so we haven't poached anybody nor do we need to 'spin' the issue.

Alex is eligible for Northern Ireland via family lines so again he is only going to be representing a country he has blood ties to. For players opting to play for the Republic it is a political document which gives them the freedom to do so. The FAI actively persue players who they feel will 'want to' use that document for their benefit. Please don't confuse the actions of the FAI with the inactions of the IFA. There is only one poaching association on this Island. To clarify on Lee Camp, he himself made contact with the IFA so again the IFA poaching arguement is null and void.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Good luck to him, nice to see someone keen to play international football for a change.
    Are you sure???

Desperate more like....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The spin-doctors have arrived at OWC
    That's almost balanced by their standards....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I hope Alex Bruce helps Norn Iron qualify for the Euros. That's all.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    just like your favourite sport rugby then

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    This whole charade is somewhat unsettling regarding the significance of international football. Bruce isn't a kid, hes 26 and should by now know his identity and what nationality he belongs to. To switch national allegiance because he isn't getting picked just seems vile to me. Your country is your country regardless
    But this mans country is England, always was, his Irishness was taken from his father who thought so little of his own Irishness he elected not to upset Ferguson and the four foreigner rule at the time by pursuing it and maybe putting his place at Old Trafford under threat, if memory serves.

I think justice here would be well served on him if the Norn Iron fans turned on him en masse and refused to accept him representing them, that would be fun to watch unfold.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think justice here would be well served on him if the Norn Iron fans turned on him en masse and refused to accept him representing them, that would be fun to watch unfold.
    I don't want Bruce anywhere near the Northern Ireland team.

He took his chance with the South - it didn't work out. Tough.

Fcuk him.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    That's a myth about Steve Bruce not playing for Ireland due to some foreigner rule. He got a B team cap for England in 1987 which subsequently made him ineligible for Ireland. After that, he couldn't have played for us even if he had wanted to.

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I don't want Bruce anywhere near the Northern Ireland team.

He took his chance with the South - it didn't work out. Tough.
    South Korea?

Anyway, he's eligible, like anyone without a competitive cap. Tougher still.

The same must be true of thousands of British citizens....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Alex to score the winner vs the Faroes. Towering header in the 90th minute. The script is written.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast