Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The ones that got away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Niall told me he isn't eligible for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Niall told me he isn't eligible for Ireland.
    interesting. on what grounds is he ineligible?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't remember. I private messaged him on Twitter about it; this would have been a good while ago.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 05/09/2014 at 2:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Wait a minute. He might be eligible. I think it was Julian Kelly or Liam Irwin who I was talking to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Wait a minute. He might be eligible. I think it was Julian Kelly or Liam Irwin who I was talking to.
    Kelly isn't eligible for us alright, Irwin played competitively with us until U19 level (see http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/24/2011/2001643 and http://www.fai.ie/ireland/match/24/2011/2001695 ) - so he's definitely eligible
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    How could Liam Irwin, the son of Denis Irwin, ever not be eligible for us????

Julian Kelly was called up for friendlies but then I think it transpired that his ancestral link was a generation too late.

Niall Keown is surely eligible by virtue of his Irish grandparents yeah??
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Yeah, Martin's parents were both Irish. It's interesting that Niall Keown is claiming for Ireland. Is it that he isn't getting the England caps so he's claiming for Ireland? Or does he feel inherently Irish like his dad does? Bearing in mind that his father played for England on the basis that his father wanted him to give something back to the country, or something along those lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    How could Liam Irwin, the son of Denis Irwin, ever not be eligible for us????

Julian Kelly was called up for friendlies but then I think it transpired that his ancestral link was a generation too late.

Niall Keown is surely eligible by virtue of his Irish grandparents yeah??
    Liam Irwin, irrespective of where he was born, would be an Irish national from birth by virtue of having been born to Denis, an Irish national who was born in Ireland.

Niall Keown would have had to have his birth registered on the Foreign Births Register before acquiring Irish citizenship, because Martin - even though an automatic Irish citizen from birth - was born outside of Ireland, but Niall would, of course, be eligible to play for us on account of his Ireland-born grandparents. His citizenship would be effective from the date of registration.

More info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...r_descent.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    ...and a painstaking process it is too I can tell you. I finally got around to FBR for my kids earlier this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    The Irish community in English football is something Jacko is very much part of: he lists off the Irish players at the Hawthorns: James McClean and Marc Wilson, along with Northern Ireland internationals Gareth McCauley, Jonny Evans and Chris Brunt here, along with Darren Fletcher, who Jacko says is half Irish:

He was over at the All-Ireland last year with his dad Robert, but he missed the replay. He's a big Mayo fan, his mother is from Achill. He does absolutely [share the despair of Mayo fans over here]. Even James McClean, we'd have a laugh. I played with Finn Harps in the 90s, and obviously James is a big Derry City fan.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Keane tried to convince Fletcher to declare for Ireland at underage level at United but he rightly had his heart set on Scotland. I'll have a root and see if I can find the articles that reference it. Brady wanted him at Arsenal too and has spoken about it too, if I recall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Keane tried to convince Fletcher to declare for Ireland at underage level at United but he rightly had his heart set on Scotland. I'll have a root and see if I can find the articles that reference it. Brady wanted him at Arsenal too and has spoken about it too, if I recall.
    Why "rightly", in your opinion? I think he could have done a good job for us had he decided to play for the land of his mother. He's a good, solid, functional player.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just mentioning Chris Coleman in this thread as he said he once turned down a call to play for Ireland in spite of his father being a Dublin man: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017...-boss-coleman/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Was Coleman ever good enough to play for us? His peers were Kenny Cunningham, Steve Staunton, Gary Breen, Andy O'Brien etc....was he any better than any of them??
    Last edited by Wangball; 22/03/2017 at 1:32 PM.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I would have thought he wasn't far off Cunningham's level and better than Breen & O'Brien. A solid Premier League regular - that's my memory anyway but obviously I wasn't too concerned about how good or bad he was. We should beware of those green tinted glasses!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    with respect to the likes of Coleman and Keown, who had immediate strong links to Ireland, would it be fair to say that a fair few of the Irish folks who left for England in those decades (I am assuming the 50's and 60's) would have harboured some ill-will towards the country of their birth and thus severed ties with Ireland from an emotional standpoint? I recall a lot of bitterness amongst emigrants in the 80's when we lost a lot of people due to the absolute lack of opportunity across multiple industries/sectors but I do not know what the climate and feelings would have been like a generation earlier. In Coleman's case, his dad seemed proud to be Irish but always pushed Coleman to represent Wales - interesting dichotomy at play there.

That said, I agree with the comment on another thread that being brought up in a city like Swansea would not have helped expose Coleman to his Irish roots, unless it was done intentionally by the parents.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Why "rightly", in your opinion? I think he could have done a good job for us had he decided to play for the land of his mother. He's a good, solid, functional player.
    Well assuming he identifies as Scottish I mean, it's right he chose them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    with respect to the likes of Coleman and Keown, who had immediate strong links to Ireland, would it be fair to say that a fair few of the Irish folks who left for England in those decades (I am assuming the 50's and 60's) would have harboured some ill-will towards the country of their birth and thus severed ties with Ireland from an emotional standpoint? I recall a lot of bitterness amongst emigrants in the 80's when we lost a lot of people due to the absolute lack of opportunity across multiple industries/sectors but I do not know what the climate and feelings would have been like a generation earlier. In Coleman's case, his dad seemed proud to be Irish but always pushed Coleman to represent Wales - interesting dichotomy at play there.

That said, I agree with the comment on another thread that being brought up in a city like Swansea would not have helped expose Coleman to his Irish roots, unless it was done intentionally by the parents.
    Still plenty of bitter emigrants nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

For many who left Ireland during those days, I'm sure there would have been a desire to be assimilated into their host society as quickly as possible. Thus, I'm sure many suppressed the characteristics they felt "exposed" them as being "definitively Irish" (by anglicising names or dropping the "Ó"/"Mac/Mc", for example) rather than emphasising their differences, especially if prejudice or discrimination might have been experienced as a result.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast