Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The ones that got away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    You say you would like to separate art from artist but that simply isn't possible. Say for example, Paul Gascoigne is playing for Ireland. He is time and time again being caught up in reprehensible acts, this invariably damages that image of the national side. Therefore, back to my original point; I don't wish to see people with the 'characteristics' of a Paul Gascoigne et al, representing my nation in any sport.
    So Paul McGrath succumbing to the same affliction as Gazza and Best, literally p1ssing his money down the drain whilst neglecting his kids, or abusing other players wives etc, means that you didn't want to see him in a green shirt, either?
    Or Roy Keane, who has confessed amongst other things, to drinking to near unconsciousness when on ROI duty, who abused and intimidated referees, who deliberately went out to cripple opponents etc - are you saying you didn't want to see him represent your nation, either?
    Oh I forgot, both of those failed to do so themselves, from time to time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    A few other recent US internationals were eligible e.g. Michael Parkhurst(father from Galway), Greg Berhalter(mother also from Galway)
    Jaysus cant believe we missed out on those two, is either of them a wide reciever or offensive halfback?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    God help him, but Gazza doesn't have the brains to be bigoted (if that's possible).
    ..)

And niether, I assume has "Sir David" Healy, standadrd bearer and icon of the NI international team and occasional flute player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    And niether, I assume has "Sir David" Healy, standadrd bearer and icon of the NI international team and occasional flute player.
    Oh ffs! Healy knew exactly what he was doing. In reply to some banter from Celtic fans as he warmed up on the touchline - "Where were you on the Twelfth?" - he mimed that he was playing his Flute.
    He smiled, the Celtic fans nearby smiled, the great majority of the fans at what was a pre-season friendly at Craven Cottage didn't even see what happened. After the game, Healy was quite happy to sign autographs and pose for photos with fans, both home and away.
    Then some photographer published a photo of Healy, and the "Legion of Perpetually Offended MOPES" - 99% of whom weren't even at the game -swung into action...
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-13918054.html
    Of course, the fact that he apologised fulsomely and sincerely at the thought he might have offended someone gets overlooked completely by the Legion, but there you go; as Laverty correctly points out, it is the bigots who lack a sense of humour...

P.S. Would that be the same Healy the Bigot who, during a brief trip home to NI, took the trouble to travel down to Dublin to graciously receive the All-Ireland Texaco Football Award for 2006? Or the one who e.g. does charity work involving all sides of the community? Or the one who has never been heard to utter a controversial word about religion or politics in his life?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Jaysus cant believe we missed out on those two, is either of them a wide reciever or offensive halfback?
    Wide receivers? Offensive halfbacks? Do you know anything about football?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Wide receivers? Offensive halfbacks? Do you know anything about football?
    Sure I do, whomevers roster accumulates the most score kicks wins?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-13918054.html
    P.S. Would that be the same Healy the Bigot who, during a brief trip home to NI, took the trouble to travel down to Dublin to graciously receive the All-Ireland Texaco Football Award for 2006? Or the one who e.g. does charity work involving all sides of the community? Or the one who has never been heard to utter a controversial word about religion or politics in his life?

No it would be the idiotically niaive David Healey whose moment of, what might well have been lighted-hearted and well-intentioned, madness, has given him a cult hero status with loonie loyalists and tarnished a personal reputation based on his outstanding footballing achievements and charitable activities. Honestly EG you would earn more respect on this site if you did not feel obliged to offer the most tortuous Jesuitical justifications for every single critical observation about the behaivour / antics of NI fans, players or the IFA. Healy was a dick in the same way that Arthur Boruc was a dick for making the sign of the cross to Rangers fans! Niether of them are bigots, but they should both have known better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    No it would be the idiotically niaive David Healey whose moment of, what might well have been lighted-hearted and well-intentioned, madness, has given him a cult hero status with loonie loyalists and tarnished a personal reputation based on his outstanding footballing achievements and charitable activities. Honestly EG you would earn more respect on this site if you did not feel obliged to offer the most tortuous Jesuitical justifications for every single critical observation about the behaivour / antics of NI fans, players or the IFA. Healy was a dick in the same way that Arthur Boruc was a dick for making the sign of the cross to Rangers fans! Niether of them are bigots, but they should both have known better.
    Of course Healy should have known better. But it was an entirely innocent gesture for which he has apologised. Which considering it was entirely out of character, should be the end of it.

As for Boruc, other than believing that those Rangers fans are prize hypocrites when they abuse the guy, then complain when he responds in kind, I have little interest in, or knowledge of, the workings of either Old Firm club.

But if pushed to make a comparison between Boruc and Healy, I would suggest that one indiscretion on the part of Healy, in a sparsely attended pre-season friendly at Fulham, hardly counts as against 3?4?5? incidents involving Boruc, conducted in the glare of an Old Firm Derby, which not only attracted the attention of the SFA, but also the local Constabulary.

And I might also consider that Healy's ability to p1ss off an all-too easily offended minority of the fans of another team hardly compares with Boruc's ability to p1ss off his own team, whether it be club or country:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2...6908-20708067/

P.S. I don't know whether you are a Celtic fan or not, but if you are, I'd appreciate it if you picked a rather more appropriate example from amongst the Parkhead squad, against whom to compare and contrast David Healy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Of course Healy should have known better. But it was an entirely innocent gesture for which he has apologised. Which considering it was entirely out of character, should be the end of it.
    Agreed. But in the febrile atmosphere of NI things are not that simple. Clearly the banner wavers in Slovenia ("Our culture is not a crime") didn't think we'd reached the end of it, and probably never will. Totally agree about the senselss and disgraceful booing of Rangers players by ROI fans. Especially idiotic and insulting during the Kerr era given his background. I'm still up for going to Windsor in the new year if I can get the tickets, and if I am wrong I wont be afraid to admit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Getting back to the ones that got away!!

Mannion the red haired half balding full back for the Swiss

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I am sure I heard / read that Michael Carrick could have played for us, but still haven't thought of a goalkeeper.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Was there a goalkeeper at blackburn of Australian extraction that had been suggested as a possibility for Ireland a few years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    john filan ye?

btw is this actually people who could have played for us or can it just be people with irish heritage?

fabian o 'neill anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Was there a goalkeeper at blackburn of Australian extraction that had been suggested as a possibility for Ireland a few years ago.
    dont forget Mark Beeney! ex leeds gk...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    maybe i might be wrong here - it's late and i'm a liitle worse for wear - but there's an up and coming player for the greatest team the world has ever seen (leeds) who as yet has not got away - Aiden White - a look into his background will show what i mean i.e. school etc and before you all come down on me - if you look at the thread i started on JJ O't you'll see that sometimes these threads do unearth something - btw he is rumoured to be in line for an England underage cap cap - should we be looking here
    I have a head only Snow White would love

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

Youre right. Filan

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    both parents and he didnt join Ireland, its always the country parents kids that seem to join. more proud of their heritage and upbringing i spose.
    It seemed to me when living in London in the late eighties that some of the Cockney-sounding kids of country Irish parents seemed more traditional and "old country" than the droves of Irish that were there at the time. Probably comes from the parents wanting the kids to have Irish identity, but not realising that the country they remembered didn't really exist anymore.

(BTW - I also didn't know Wicklow was classed as Metropolitan these days.)
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Offensive halfback? They're just called halfback here...see Matt Forte
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hey new 2 this site...just became aware of a few players possibly eligible for ireland, keeper called liam o brien just signed 4 portsmouth from qpr, on trial at arsenal 4 a while, good prospect and also keeper currently at arsenal think called jack shea , young kid, not 2 sure about his ability but heard he s eligible, also we arsenal just signed a norwegian born keeper called mcdermott, already plays for ireland underage teams tho...just wondering if the fai are aware of these players???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Welcome to the site but from now no no text speech!

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=440516&postcount=13

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast