Page 79 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Love and Mercy

John Cusack's portrayal of Brian Wilson was excellent. Jake Abel's portrayal of Mike Love was game but he failed to capture the full essence of Love's douchiness. Paul Giamatti's portrayal of Eugene Landy was a little bit over the top. Most of the movie was focused on Brian's (Cusack) now wife rescuing him from the clutches of Landy with the rest focusing on Wilson's (Paul Dano) creation of Pet Sounds and abortive attempts to finish the Smile album - where Love's douchiness is in full flight.

The actor that portrayed Al Jardine didn't get any lines. Carl & Dennis Wilson were almost afterthoughts save for two scenes that threatened to become poignant; the latter's life story is easily movie material.

It was pretty, pretty good; not really, really good. It lagged just a tiny bit in places. I think a bit more time could have been devoted to Wilson's creative clashes with Love, and also the younger brother Dennis.

7.5 out of 10.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Prisoners:Hugh Jackman plays a guy whose young kid gets kidnapped at a Thanksgivings party and Jake Gyllenhaal leads the investigation into the disappearance when Jackman decides to take the law into his own hands things turn nasty/violent,about 2.5 hours long but enthralling

9/10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Prisoners:Hugh Jackman plays a guy whose young kid gets kidnapped at a Thanksgivings party and Jake Gyllenhaal leads the investigation into the disappearance when Jackman decides to take the law into his own hands things turn nasty/violent,about 2.5 hours long but enthralling

9/10
    Saw that in the cinema and wasn't gone on it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I finally saw "A Few Good Men" the other night. Definitely of its time with regard to cinematography and the like but still a cracker. Had no idea Sorkin wrote it. Should've known really though. 7/10

Then I watched "The Candidate" with Robert Redford and Peter Boyle last night. Absolutely stunning and again clearly the play for some of Sorkin's West Wing scripting. 8/10

And given I had a couple of hours to kill after TheCandidate I decided to watch Disney's "Hercules". It hasn't aged as well as I would have hoped. And the overtly sexual undertones are much more obvious to a guy in his 30s than the teen who watched it when it came out. James Woods as Hades still steals the show. All in all an enjoyable 90min. Defintely better than Nemo. I fupping hate that fish. 6/10

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post

9/10
    Absolutely loved prisoners - great flick

Antman - funny in moments - but didn't get all the positive reviews about it(and I am a comic book movie fan) as thought it was slightly above ok - 6/10

Southpaw - really liked it - got a lot of negative reviews - yep , it was predictable at times , but I thought the boxing scenes were great , also found it to be quite emotional .....great performances by whittaker and Gyllenhall ( as usual - the guy was immense yet again)

Fantastic Four - Getting destroyed by reviewers - for the first 45 mins , I enjoyed it , it was setting up the FF4 universe nicely up until that point ....post the 45 min mark....it all collapsed ....the script got lazy , with brutal special effects and a lazy ending. Seemed like the production company wanted to wrap up filming quickly ....the last 40 mins......were BRUTAL ............. 4.5/10

Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation...............Boom........what a fantasitic cinematic ride...Cruise yet again shows that he owns the role of Ethan Hawke.....fast paced, loads of great action sequences and a great story. Cruise is supported by a great cast who all play their parts really well ....especially Rebecca Ferguson and Simon Pegg. Loved M.I 4 Ghost protocol.....The latest Installment betters that for me. The Franchise is gaining huge momentum which is great....with M.I 6 already planned for production next year ..... 9/10
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Mission Impossible - watched it Sunday night and enjoyed the silliness of it. The tone was set by Tom Cruises little grin to the girl at the beginning - about the stories she'd heard. Simon Pegg was solid, Jeremy Renner really is a decent actor, I'm becoming more and more of a fan. The action is fast-paced, some clever little twists and basically it's going to pass by quickly. Loved the way the British secret service were portrayed and liked Alec Baldwin's turn. Nice and handy Summer romp. 7/10

Trainwreck - Oh sweet god, I did, for my penance, sit through the whole movie. My mind was screaming - run, run, my body was frozen in the headlights of the worst movie this year. There is a decent cast and while Schumer's comedy is sometimes on the boring level of shock, she has a following and should be expected to do something decent on screen. Judd Apatow is confusing for me. He has been involved in some terrible movies, some really funny ones and is kind of the Adam Sandler of producers. Bridesmaids I couldn't stomach, Knocked Up was painful and yet Talladega Nights and Step Brothers are both very funny movies. He directed and produced this vanity piece and I think in years to come will shy away from it. Awful acting and dialogue, nothing interesting and basically just a vehicle for a relatively decent comedienne to break into movies fully. If you are drunk, just injected heroin or captured by ISIL - you'll sit through it. 1/10
    http://www.championat.com/bets/artic...r-week-16.html

Giving the Russians a weekly taste of our glorious LOI!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    The Maze Runner - Interesting film to say the least based on the book of the same name. Seen a review before watching it saying 'It's the Hunger Games for boys'. Sums it up really. Essentially a group of young people that wake up to a community inside a giant maze type thing without any recollection of who they are outside of their names. It's confusing, and hard to get into, but if you pay close attention to it, it's actually quite good. I only found out afterwards the sequel is out in the US next month, presumably here soon afterwards.
    Certainly worth a look though, sort of a mind-f**k thriller kind of film and very well produced, looks very good, CGI is excellent and acting is top class for the most part, including Kaya Scodelario of Skins fame, Thomas Brodie-Sangster from Game of Thrones and Patricia Clarkson of The Green Mile among other films. 7.5/10
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    The Gift - Enjoyed this one. Hadn't heard anything about it beforehand so didn't know what to expect. It's a thriller rather than a horror and with a nice premise it moves along well. Acting is solid and character development is handled fairly well. Worth a watch anyway. 7/10

Tallaght Stadium Regular

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Has intended going to see Southpaw last night but one on the party was 20 minutes late so went to The Man from U.N.C.L.E. instead. Ok show but seen it all before 7/10
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Saw 5 films in the last 7 days, thanks to an inability to sleep early.

Southpaw - quite a weak, paint by numbers movie with weak storyline and performers. The boxing scenes were about as realistic as an MMA fight and the story just wandered and bored. I purposely didn't read about the movie, nor watch a trailer, just watched it straight up, and really it was disappointing. Nothing made sense in the whole movie and it really should never have been made, unless it was going to mean something. 2/10

Vacation - went to see it tonight in the cinema, laughed the whole way through. It's predictable pretty much but with some good acting and a few "oh sweet jesus" moments. Helms was really good in the Chevy Chase role and 2 scenes with a plastic bag will make you laugh a lot, whatever your mood. Would watch it again in a few months just for a bit of a laugh. 7/10

The Runner - an attempt by Nic Cage to get back some acting kudos, and it's an interesting moral tale, but kind of falls flat. He wants to fight for the little guy (no pun intended) but is a serial affairist and finds himself under the cosh of big oil. So as an elected politician he has a choice to make, fight for what's right or just go with the political flow. It could have been a really good movie, but just meanders and tries to give Nic a shot at redemption. 4/10

Moscow Never Sleeps - I did, for 15 minutes. Saw a preview of this much hyped movie part made by an Iris guy living here. It's what's call "trash" in Russian, basically a whole heap of garbage regurgitated onto the screen to spend money. It's all about how Moscow eats its young and the rich get richer and sex and money and how life really is. But it's a boring circle j**k that made me realise I probably don't have any cinematic taste. Taste for what, can be decided by someone else. 2/10

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    The Bad Education Movie - Jack Whitehall, minus his irritating dad but with mum reprising her role as Mrs Carmichael, the usual motley crue of students, and unfeasibly large test1cles make this a pretty good way to spend an hour and a half. From the opening scenes at the Ann Frank museum, the pace didn’t flag, even though it took the well-worn path of bringing a sitcom from its usual setting onto a road trip/holiday destination. Some very funny lines and visual gags, a few moments that might have been mawkish but managed to steer clear of it and a suitably OTT performance from Joanne Scanlan as pyscho-mum made this perfect preparation for the new academic year. Not going to win any prizes, but an enjoyable 3*.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Straight Outta Compton - Thoroughly enjoyable. Gives a good insight into the background of N.W.A. and the climate that produced "gangsta" rap. There's definitely some glossing over of controversies, particularly in relation to violence against women. Biggest crowd I've seen in a cinema in a long time. Went in without reading any reviews and was pleasantly surprised, the acting is high quality and the story is carried along nicely. 7/10

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Get On Up - Biopic of James Brown. As a film, it's a great show. Chadwick Boseman plays the role of Brown and does an absolutely superb job. Fantastic in the lead role and really well cast. Mick Jagger played a part in the production of the film and of course The Rolling Stones got themselves a couple of mentions.
    Can't help but notice they left out a great deal of music and how Browns genius really came through in the songwriting, and also left out a great deal of his life story including the drug problems and domestic abuse but all in all, it's definitely worth a watch and serves as a good tribute to one of the greats. 7.5/10 (It would be a 7 or less if it weren't for the fantastic performance of Boseman.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Saw "The Walk" this evening...based on Phillipe Petit's tightrope walk between the Twin Towers in New York in 1974

Really liked it.... Mainly due to the Exceptional cinematography and gripping 2nd half and ending. Although some of the films dialogue was poor ....the film makes up for that later on with a palm sweating end piece
    Saw the film in IMAX 3D and i would advise anyone who plans on seeing this film to do the same.

If you have a fear of heights...be warned...the scenes at the top of the towers and the vertical shots of Petit walking the wire are surreal. Fantastically done , so much so ....i felt quite uneasy watching them and i consider myself in general to be good with heights. From reading various reviews on the film, alot of people have felt similar effects and also slightly nauseous while watching those scenes in theatres.

This is a film that I have been looking forward to for ages. I have read and watched alot of stuff on this guy and his achievements.

Anyone not familar should check out this documentary on Petit and his twin tower walk before seeing the film called "Man on Wire" (see below)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...-hd_shortfilms

As for the movie......7/10 for me
    Last edited by back of the net; 06/10/2015 at 1:56 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    anyone seen SICARIO?

Saw it the other night - what a fantastic film

Favourite film of the year

Benecio del torro....fantastic
    My Country is My Club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Brooklyn - One of the weakest Irish offerings, if it can be called Irish. I am an admirer of Colm Tobin's prose, though have yet to see him pulled up on his self-loathing and issues with his homeland, that aside, he would be terrified to have his name associated with this made for tv mess. Saoirse Ronan has had a couple of good outings, this is nowhere near good. Domhnall Gleeson, likewise, is a terrific actor, but here he is wasted. Going to see this movie I was excited and eager, I'd bought what PR had been selling. I began to be unsettled when I saw the mish mash of backing the movie needed to be made, never a good sign.. Aside from Julie Walters' over-acting (which was always ready to raise a smile), the movie is torturous, with stilted unrealistic dialogue and "twists", and sadly lacking in charm. Anyone conned into seeing it by sepia coloured images of Ireland or the US/Canada, will feel deeply upset. In the Odeon cinema where I saw this 2 weeks ago, patrons leaving grumbled from "That was a waste of 9 euros" to "That was terrible". What could and should have been an excellent offering is a poorly designed, dud of a dogs dinner.

I came out thinking, unless you have had a full frontal lobotomy, you'll feel cheated by this. If your other half invites you to see it, know your love is being tested and if you survive until the end it's breakfast in bed for life!

1/10 (the 1 I'll give for Julie Walters, and the fact that the movie ended)

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Went to see Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 at the weekend.

I've been fairly into the Hunger Games series since it came onto the screens. Herself is a big fan of the books and so I was dragged along to the first of the films, which I actually enjoyed so we naturally have went to see the rest.

I felt quite let down by this one. A lot of plot holes, very jumpy, and the acting wasn't as good as it has been in the previous films. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence (who wouldn't be?!), but this is one of her poorer outings in my view. Maybe it's just easy to expect too much of her now. She showed glimpses of excellence, but also a bit weak in parts. Phillip Seymour Hoffman died halfway through the making of the film, and it's entirely noticeable how he keeps disappearing from scenes, ending up with a very minor role, where he would have otherwise had a big part to play.
    Donald Sutherland and Woody Harrelson however, were both excellent in it, albeit both in slightly more minor roles where again they should have had much, much bigger roles.

It all led to a big anti-climax and they ended the film with a typical cheery soppy two minutes of 'happy ever after' which really grinds my gears.

In all though, the special effects were largely excellent, some of the acting was great, but it was easily the worst of the series, which is disappointing given it wrapped it all up.

A generous 6/10.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 24/11/2015 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Brooklyn - One of the weakest Irish offerings, if it can be called Irish. I am an admirer of Colm Tobin's prose, though have yet to see him pulled up on his self-loathing and issues with his homeland, that aside, he would be terrified to have his name associated with this made for tv mess. Saoirse Ronan has had a couple of good outings, this is nowhere near good. Domhnall Gleeson, likewise, is a terrific actor, but here he is wasted. Going to see this movie I was excited and eager, I'd bought what PR had been selling. I began to be unsettled when I saw the mish mash of backing the movie needed to be made, never a good sign.. Aside from Julie Walters' over-acting (which was always ready to raise a smile), the movie is torturous, with stilted unrealistic dialogue and "twists", and sadly lacking in charm. Anyone conned into seeing it by sepia coloured images of Ireland or the US/Canada, will feel deeply upset. In the Odeon cinema where I saw this 2 weeks ago, patrons leaving grumbled from "That was a waste of 9 euros" to "That was terrible". What could and should have been an excellent offering is a poorly designed, dud of a dogs dinner.

I came out thinking, unless you have had a full frontal lobotomy, you'll feel cheated by this. If your other half invites you to see it, know your love is being tested and if you survive until the end it's breakfast in bed for life!

1/10 (the 1 I'll give for Julie Walters, and the fact that the movie ended)
    I saw the ads. I heard Saoirse Ronan "Oirishing" her accent. It seems thoroughly deplorable from that pov alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    that's pretty much her accent, she sounds the same in interviews
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    that's pretty much her accent, she sounds the same in interviews
    Can't be. I've heard her speak many times.

"Sometimes I just want t'be an Oirish gurl in Oireland"

Shivers.

Page 79 of 86 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast