Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey O'Brien

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    And growing up in France. What difference did that make to their identity? Yeah, I'm sure soon as they arrived they took an instant love of snails, frogs legs, and Maurice Chevalier films.
    They grew up in the French football culture. They are part of the French football culture. They represent French football.
    I don't think it's wrong to question how actually 'French' these people are (even if it is perhaps often racist) when the same question is asked of how 'Irish' someone is who has two Irish parents, but happened to be born outside Ireland (and that is what the 'granny rule' includes).
    They didn't grow up in the Irish football culture. They are not part of the Irish football culture. They don't represent Irish football. When they retire they'll go back to coaching and spouting sh1t about the game in Britain, apart from the occasional detour to spout sh1t about the (British) game in Ireland.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is it me but it seems to be the Irish players who were born and lived in this country who don't seem to want to play for Ireland.

Look at Steve Reid, Carsley and Kilbane guys who would jump on the first plane to Dublin to play for "there" country.

The Charlton era was the same these boys showed more pride in the Irish jersey then some of our clowns.

I remember reading Cascarino book and him on about going to world cup 1982 to support England yet when asked to play for Ireland he gave 100% and wasn't always sulking. I know he was by no means world class but commitment he did give and so can be said for the rest of the English born guys who wore the green.

I hope these guys realise its a honour to play for your country not a right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Who cares? the way I see it Joey O'Brien being in or out of the team isn't gonna be the difference between us being in SA or not. Same goes for Stephen Manchester as somebody further up quite fittingly labelled him. He's a luxury player for Man City and has never put in a decent 90mins for Ireland but did score a couple of goals for us, somewhat covering up pretty much non existant performances otherwise. On assessment of his performances for City he basically hangs around half way waiting for the counter attack and has plenty of energy saved to get in the box. Good eye for goal no doubt but a luxury we cannot afford, in fact Andy Reid would give a far more workman like performance if given the chance.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanekerins View Post
    Just wrote a lengthy and thorough response to this, and then deleted it because you're a waste of time.
    Oh come now, tell the truth. You could not stand having your double standards held up to your face for absolute truism they forced you to confront.

The gas thing is that I find it simply amazing that the same Oirish/Oirland Premiership Cult Lemmings think nothing of slagging off Joey O'Brien or Stephen Ireland for turning their backs on Irish soccer while at the same time these "Ireland" supporters walk into Croker with Liverpool, Celtic and Man U scarves.

You can write all the lenghty posts you want to me. I don't care as I like the rest of LOI supporters are the only true Irish soccer supporters in this country (same for the IL supporters up North). And we know it, and so do you lot and deep down inside you're not... and never will be as long as you indulge in nuroisis of following the league next door cos "the Irish one is ****e", while supporting the Ireland national team because "YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!!!! even when they are being ran off the pitch by San Marino"

Gullible Morons and Tragic Lemmings every last one of you.

Here is another fact for you; for over 20 years now, Linfield have be more of Irish soccer team than any of the ROI squads have every been in that same time frame.

Dust the Walkers Crisp Crumbs out of the crack in your arse and deal with that one O' devoted Irish soccer fan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boh_So_Good View Post
    Oh come now, tell the truth. You could not stand having your double standards held up to your face for absolute truism they forced you to confront.

The gas thing is that I find it simply amazing that the same Oirish/Oirland Premiership Cult Lemmings think nothing of slagging off Joey O'Brien or Stephen Ireland for turning their backs on Irish soccer while at the same time these "Ireland" supporters walk into Croker with Liverpool, Celtic and Man U scarves.

You can write all the lenghty posts you want to me. I don't care as I like the rest of LOI supporters are the only true Irish soccer supporters in this country (same for the IL supporters up North). And we know it, and so do you lot and deep down inside you're not... and never will be as long as you indulge in nuroisis of following the league next door cos "the Irish one is ****e", while supporting the Ireland national team because "YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE IRISH!!!! even when they are being ran off the pitch by San Marino"

Here is another fact for you; for over 20 years now, Linfield have be more of Irish soccer team than any of the ROI squads have every been in that same time frame.

Dust the Walkers Crisp Crumbs out of the crack in your arse and deal with that one O' devoted Irish soccer fan.
    WTF was that all about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I don't care as I like the rest of LOI supporters are the only true Irish soccer supporters in this country
    No you are not.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    WTF was that all about
    Not sure, I think he's got a little bit of sand in his vagina.

Tell you what mate, you buy me a season's worth of flights from England to Cork next season and I'll get myself a season ticket to my hometown club. I've already got the shirt and the flag I bought from the CCFC shop earlier this year to try and do my bit when the club were in financial trouble, so I should fit right in. No worries about the Celtic/Liverpool/Man U scarf, I don't actually have any of them...actually, come to think of it, I don't support any foreign sides! And you know what? Even if I did, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. Crazy how when you make assumptions you end up with egg on your self-satisfied little face.

Let me know when my first flight leaves mate. If you care to lie down underneath the wheels at take-off you would make my day.

Edit - Does anyone know if this guy is actually for real? Beginning to think I may be the victim of a wind-up here...
    Last edited by shaneker; 28/10/2008 at 4:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Response to Boh so good

Generally kids start following soccer at the ages 8-12 maybe and without knowing much about anything we start watching the English club matches with far more enthusiasm than that of our own League. Once you've been supporting a certain club for a number of yrs it isn't that easy just to turn it off, plus why the f**k should we, just because some pretentious idiot like yourself feels that we should. If I support Man U, Cork City, Liverpool or feckin Glasgow Rangers then that's my choice and i certainly don't feel any less Irish because some Dalymount dick thinks I should.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    But my brother goes to every Cork City home game, a few away ones too, and is also a staunch Man United supporter. Surely this is impossible...have I been living in a dream?

No. Some people just talk crap.

As for Joey O'Brien; he may as well concentrate on his club career if he does not want to be a bench warmer. Unsurprisingly, that is where he seems to be spending most of his time at Bolton anyway.
    Last edited by Brendan 82; 28/10/2008 at 4:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I honestly think you are embarassing the league with a response like that. I love going to LOI games and enjoy supporting Bohs and see football week in week out and would encourage people to do so.

However if somebody is not living in Ireland and they were not born there it is very hard for them to support a League of Ireland team. Some of the most die hard Irish fans are 2nd Generation fans and I hope that does not sound patronising.

Your post makes so many generalisations and does not do your point any good. Arrogance and vitriol are never good in a debate and lessen your point even if you aspects of truth in it.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Who cares? the way I see it Joey O'Brien being in or out of the team isn't gonna be the difference between us being in SA or not. Same goes for Stephen Manchester as somebody further up quite fittingly labelled him. He's a luxury player for Man City and has never put in a decent 90mins for Ireland but did score a couple of goals for us, somewhat covering up pretty much non existant performances otherwise. On assessment of his performances for City he basically hangs around half way waiting for the counter attack and has plenty of energy saved to get in the box. Good eye for goal no doubt but a luxury we cannot afford, in fact Andy Reid would give a far more workman like performance if given the chance.
    To say that Ireland is a luxury we cant afford is an exercise in wishful thinking. I would suggest that Whelan, Gibson, Andrews et al are medoicrities that we cant afford. Ireland's work rate for City is outstanding. I suggest you watch him over 90 minutes and not just the highlights of his goals and killer passes. It's one thing saying that Ireland should not be welcomed back, but to argue that Whelan, Gibson and A.Reid are better players is ludicrous. I suppose that's why they are all warming the bench at their respective clubs whilst Ireland is winning plaudits from respected football journalists like Paddy Barclay week in week out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    To say that Ireland is a luxury we cant afford is an exercise in wishful thinking. I would suggest that Whelan, Gibson, Andrews et al are medoicrities that we cant afford. Ireland's work rate for City is outstanding. I suggest you watch him over 90 minutes and not just the highlights of his goals and killer passes. It's one thing saying that Ireland should not be welcomed back, but to argue that Whelan, Gibson and A.Reid are better players is ludicrous. I suppose that's why they are all warming the bench at their respective clubs whilst Ireland is winning plaudits from respected football journalists like Paddy Barclay week in week out.
    Reading your posts is like listening to a mate whose bird broke up with him ages ago but he still constantly goes on about her and the possibility of them getting back together.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Well, his work rate was always appalling when he was playing for us. Unless he comes back 100% committed, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the squad. He was an embarrassment in his last appearance for us.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I read somewhere that the Scottish FA had considered a lifetime ban for Kris Boyd for walking out recently and that would certainly sort out this problem once and for all. Suffice to say if we actually qualify for something the likes of Ireland and the O'Briens will be interested in playing again. As for Joey O'B, I hope he either comes out and clears up any misunderstanding, or is dropped from the squad. After all we managed with David O'Leary for a while and it didnt hurt us as much as much as it must have hurt him watching Euro 88.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    I suppose I should stop going to Ireland games as I wasn't dropped on Irish soil. Another t'ick tw*t that missed out the history lesson on emigration.
    Well tw*t is a very English word,so maybe you should follow them??In Ireland we would call you a c*nt.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Generally kids start following soccer at the ages 8-12 maybe and without knowing much about anything we start watching the English club matches with far more enthusiasm than that of our own League. Once you've been supporting a certain club for a number of yrs it isn't that easy just to turn it off, plus why the f**k should we, just because some pretentious idiot like yourself feels that we should. If I support Man U, Cork City, Liverpool or feckin Glasgow Rangers then that's my choice and i certainly don't feel any less Irish because some Dalymount dick thinks I should.
    Why should S.Ireland play for Ireland,or JOB just because some idiot like yourself feels he should??
    Last edited by Bohemian1890; 28/10/2008 at 7:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian1890 View Post
    Well tw*t is a very English word,so maybe you should follow them??In Ireland we would call you a c*nt.
    Well c*nt is a German word, so maybe you should follow them??
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 28/10/2008 at 9:49 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    FFS lads, I only made the comment that 'Irish people should support Irish teams' in response to the original poster's notion that 'Irish people should withdraw their support for teams who don't let players from small countries represent said country', or words to that effect.
    You know the expression, 'Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer'? It's hardly going to make any difference if a few people here stop buying Liverpool jersies because Rafa would rather Robbie stay at Melwood than play for us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    They grew up in the French football culture. They are part of the French football culture. They represent French football.
    They didn't grow up in the Irish football culture. They are not part of the Irish football culture. They don't represent Irish football. When they retire they'll go back to coaching and spouting sh1t about the game in Britain, apart from the occasional detour to spout sh1t about the (British) game in Ireland.
    What a ridiculous post. Obviously all of the young Africans playing in the Premiership shouldn't play for their country as they don't represent their countries football culture - whatever the f*ck that is. Or even Fabregas, never played a senior game in Spain in his life - how can he be part of his countries "football culture". Last I heard you are representing your country when pulling on the green shirt, not the "football culture" of that country as dictated by LOI fascists.
    JERRY: But are you still master of your domain?
    GEORGE: I am king of the county. You?
    JERRY: Lord of the manor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I don't care as I like the rest of LOI supporters are the only true Irish soccer supporters in this country (same for the IL supporters up North). And we know it, and so do you lot and deep down inside you're not...
    I was born and raised in England to Irish parents and bear little if any affinity to any LOI club. This isn't particularly my choice, it is more of a result that I wasn't exposed to it in the same way with which I was exposed to English soccer teams, resulting in me supporting Nottingham Forest. Since I have been old enough to watch soccer, which is a considerable period of time I have always supported the Irish national side, I don't remember the last time I didn't watch any of their games (I would actually go to the live games if i wasn't stumping up unreal post-grad uni fees). Where do I, and others like me fit into your twisted logic?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast