Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Fahey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    One thing that could count against Fahey in a scout's eye (whether for international or club recognition) is his maverick style of play. He is undoubtedly talented, with an ability to go past people and pass the ball, but the best central midfielders are those who can make space for themselves off the ball, get into good positions to receive it in that space, and thus to dictate the pace of a game.

From what I've seen of Fahey, he tries very hard to make himself available, but he's not great at making space for himself off the ball. Several times when he got the ball against Hertha, he found himself marked or surrounded; then he had to try dribbling past his marker, trying nutmegs and the like, running with the ball rather than playing it simple. He did this very well, but as a central midfielder these days, when there's so much focus on speed, tactical awareness and athleticism, it's a dangerous way of playing the game.

I remember Houlihan doing the very same things against Deportivo for Shels in 2004, doing some breathtaking things, but eventually getting caught in possession, and was culpable in that manner for Depor's opener in the Riazor. If Fahey went to the Championship, he'd probably end up shunted out on the wing, just as Houlihan has been for Norwich.

(edit) - as I'm extolling the virtues of simple, effective midfield play, I must say I thought Gary Dempsey was very impressive in this respect against Hertha. But maybe that's just Wexfordian bias!
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 03/10/2008 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    I would ****ing love if Trapattoni called him up.
    He won't. There's been no-one from the international set-up to watch Pats since Tardelli came to the Linfield game back around April/May.

And Pats turned down a bid from England for Fats during the summer Fergie's Son...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pats have already turned down close to half a million for him.

Really no point putting eircom league players in the Ireland section because you just get the usual arguments for the usual suspects.

Fahey is easily good enough to be in the Irish B squad IMO.

And just to pick YoungIrish up on one thing, he didn't fail at Arsenal. He didn't like living in London so Aston Villa paid £250,000 for a 17 year old nearly 8 years ago. He got homesick at Villa and came home with a year left on his contract.
    Fergie's Son, I posted the above a good few pages back, not sure if you saw it and ignored it or just missed it.

Just to add to it, Fahey earns more than a lot of lower level championship players and League 1 players.

And no Scottish PL club (aside from the Old Firm) never mind First Division club could afford Fahey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    And no Scottish PL club (aside from the Old Firm) never mind First Division club could afford Fahey.
    What would you realistically put his transfer value at? Bearing in mind the total of the previous transfers of "the best player in the league" have barely crossed the £1m mark.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Apparently a German side have made an offer for Fahey to Move in January. No details on the amount
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hertha Berlin accordning to Newstalk this morning.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    Fergie's Son, I posted the above a good few pages back, not sure if you saw it and ignored it or just missed it.

Just to add to it, Fahey earns more than a lot of lower level championship players and League 1 players.

The sad thing about this is that there seems to be an attitude that Fahey being called up would be a victory against fans of the Irish team. I will be quite happy if he is called up because I trust Trap's opinion over mere mortals like us.

Long term of course he will not stay at St Pat's if he is a regular squad member. Wolves/Sunderland & Reading's addiction to Irish players would see to that and I'd be surprised if St Pat's turned down a 1 million bid. I would also have some concern about pickinhg him regulalry if he is playing week in and week out against other eL teams. This is the same issue I have with McGeady. I'd rather an Irish international play in the Championship than in the SPL or eL as I think there is a consistent level of competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I'd rather an Irish international play in the Championship than in the SPL or eL as I think there is a consistent level of competition.
    Nobody could argue with that, but the players should be picked on their own merits, and not the level they're playing at.

If Pats were offered a million, they'd have to accept it IMO
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    if he does go to germany hopefully it will open the door that stutts has spoken about in the past. I'm not trying to pee off any EL fans but I would like to see more players plying their trade on the continent rather than the championship or lower leagues in england or even SPL. Having said that if EL teams keep selling their better players how will the league actually progress to the next level?! Unless of course they are getting very good money in compensation and then themselves can look abroad to buy players(like in sweden). Hopefully for St Pats sake, they will be well compensated if fahey leaves i.e. a good transfer fee. Anybody know what the amount on offer is?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    It insulting but we all know as soon as he signs for Hertha Berlin, Wolves, Sunderland or whoever, he will instantly be deemed good enough. Why is it still so hard for armchair football "fans" to accept that it is possible that decent players exist in the League of Ireland?
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Nobody could argue with that, but the players should be picked on their own merits, and not the level they're playing at.

If Pats were offered a million, they'd have to accept it IMO

They should be picked on merit but I think a player will be better for us if playing in a tougher league. In the short term it would be ok but long term they will develop better if playing in the championship. Fahey's biggest problem is likely to be that he is competing with a larg-ish number of players for a very small number of places (Trap seems to intend to play no attack minded central midfielders). If only he was a left back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I honestly don't know the reason for that. Its very strange. For example the Croatian League which I wouldn't say is too far off the standard of the LOI has produced players like Modric, Eduardo and corluka etc...all were selected in a successful croatian team while playing in croatia.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuisaSaigon View Post
    It insulting but we all know as soon as he signs for Hertha Berlin, Wolves, Sunderland or whoever, he will instantly be deemed good enough. Why is it still so hard for armchair football "fans" to accept that it is possible that decent players exist in the League of Ireland?
    Firstly, thats the way of the world, Saha was only called up to the French squad when he moved from Fulham to Man Utd.

Anyway I dont think that move on it's own would get him a place. What it would give him is a chance to prove himself regularly. If he goes to Wolves and fails to get in the squad he won't be playing for Ireland. If he does and plays well he has a chance (though look at Stephen Ward).

There are as many players based in England who don't seem to get a chance as there are in Ireland. I dont know why Gibson/Potter/Douglas and Miller keep getting called up when Rowlands/Quinn/Lawrence dont but that may be because I'm not a good enough judge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    There are as many players based in England who don't seem to get a chance as there are in Ireland. I dont know why Gibson/Potter/Douglas and Miller keep getting called up when Rowlands/Quinn/Lawrence dont but that may be because I'm not a good enough judge.
    I know what you're saying but the 3 you mentioned have been involved with several squads. They have been givena chance, and maybe they proved they weren't good enough.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    the thing is how good is fahey? people say we are weak in midfield, but we actually have a big selection of potentional midfielders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    will fahey be playing against bray tonight?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    the thing is how good is fahey? people say we are weak in midfield, but we actually have a big selection of potentional midfielders.

Problem is that too many of our potentially better players are not getting a chance in the full squad (mcCann, garvan, McCarthy et al). Not surprised that fcahey is getting a move to Germany, He is clearly a class player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    will fahey be playing against bray tonight?

I hope not. Pat's are playing Finn Harps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lmao...away..forgot....it was meant to be on tv right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    lmao...away..forgot....it was meant to be on tv right?
    It was meant to be on telly alright but because Bohs can win the league tonight RTE are showing that game instead. I’m not sure if Fahey will play or not tonight. He might be rested after Tuesday’s match.

Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast