Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Owen Garvan

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Did you see the U21 game at St. Mary's? I expect you didn't given the question.

He's a teenager playing an instrumental role in one of the few good footballing sides in the Championship. He has a sweet left foot, a good range of passing, good awareness, a sense of confidence and, crucially and unusually for us, he's actually tall and athletic not like the usual shortarse we tend to produce.

Anyone can see that we have the bones of a good team but are woefully lacking in central midfield. Ypu say we don't have a shortage of midfielders? I'd say we have the worst midfield available to us in the 30+ years I've been watching the BIG, though I think the Reids are fine players if fit (rarely).

Garvan appears to be a very good central midfielder in the making. Not the classic British type central midfielder but the type that is present in all successful international teams.

We've also been dreadful from set pieces in the last few years and he delivers a very good dead ball.

That's why I'm excited by this guy.

Of the names you mention:

Carsley and Garvan are chalk and cheese. Gravan can pass a ball for one thing.

Steven Reid and Stephen Ireland aren't really comparable either. In a way, Garvan is somewhere between Reid and Ireland. He's tall and rangy but also clever with the ball.

He's already done more at the same level than the older Gibson.

Physically he has a lot more to offer than Miller.

The (London) Independent says he's easily in the best players outside the Premiership.

Anyone else got an opinion?
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/02/2008 at 9:08 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Why did Stan ignore him then?

If there's one thing Stan was good at it was sounding out youth players of any sort of half decent ability.
    What youth players did Stan 'sound out'?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    For a start, Garvan missed almost all of last season, post-viral syndrome allegedly.

It wasn't just Stan. McCaffrey criminally overlooked him for the crucial U19 qualifiers against Germany and Bulgaria and Givens only selected him for the U21s once it became totally obvious he couldn't be overlooked.

Why was the most acclaimed Irish young player overlooked at every level for 2 or 3 years since schoolboys or U16?
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/02/2008 at 10:33 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's no way as injury prone as Andy Reid, OG had a dose of the aul pringles last year (...shingles), ability wise, I'd put him ahead of Miller and Gibson, deserves a call up for the Serbia game or the Norway game later in the year...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    So he's a poor man's Andy Reid who's fit even less of the time? >_>
    I bet Gravan slept with your girlfriend - or even worse your mother?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Garvan has never had any issues with fitness other than a debilitating long term illness which he has recovered from and has got his career back fully on track. This hardly makes him injury prone.

Andy Reid is a gifted footballer with a long track record of minor injuries and is far from the personification of athleticism. Hence, he's injury prone.

Garvan a poor man's Andy Reid? I'd imagine that Garvan has more ahead of him than Reid did at the same age due to his naturally lean physique and athletic constitution. Each has a cultured left foot. Garvan is 6 years younger.

When did I say he was a poor man's Andy Reid? Here's what I actually said:

He's a teenager playing an instrumental role in one of the few good footballing sides in the Championship. He has a sweet left foot, a good range of passing, good awareness, a sense of confidence and, crucially and unusually for us, he's actually tall and athletic not like the usual shortarse we tend to produce.

Garvan appears to be a very good central midfielder in the making. Not the classic British type central midfielder but the type that is present in all successful international teams.

We've also been dreadful from set pieces in the last few years and he delivers a very good dead ball.

Credit to Jim Magilton, himself an elegant midfielder, for the way he has Ipswich playing. I think he's a very good manager in the making.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/02/2008 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So he's a poor man's Andy Reid who's fit even less of the time? >_>
    I know your internet character too well now Ciaran. You seem like an intelligent lad so no need for the wind up posts, trolling, etc. I'm just waiting to find out now that >_> is a signal for sarcaasm.

Anyway, Garvan is probably our brightest prospect.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 15/02/2008 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    By far the most exciting prospect we have produced in recent years.How he has stayed under the radar up to now must have something to do with his illness last year.Even if Ipswich(hope they do,lovely club-good manager) dont go up ,he will.Hope he chooses the right club.Hard to believe he has only just turned 20.His performance aginst Englands finest even has the sky commentators cooing with delight at times.BTW Ciaran you will generally find we are the first outlet to recognise our best young talent.Even quicker than the Ireland coaching staff in this instance.
    Last edited by cheifo; 15/02/2008 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ipswich allegedly rejected a 2.5 million bid from West Ham last year so this obviously shows the boys talent as West Ham seem to produce high quality players.Yes he had a bad illness, but if you watch Championship football and seen him against England recently, I think everyone will agree he's got huge potential.A future star IMHO
    4th official"Dermot, relax with the swearing" .Keely"Ah its grand, he's me son"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Everton were interested in him before he got sick last season IIRC
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Garvan has looked really classy any time I've seen him, We've been down on our midfield for quite sometime but if you consider that come 2012 & the next Euro's our midfield could potentlially be

McGeady -- Garvan -- O'Toole -- Ireland

Thats quare exciting
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

If there's one thing Stan was good at it was sounding out youth players of any sort of half decent ability.
    That statement can be disproved by 2 words....Joe Lapira

The only reason there were so many young players in the squad for the US tour was because none of the senior plaers fancied it....I really don't think that was by choice or design
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not to keen on O'Toole myself but in the u21 game versus england Garvan and Keogh made huddlestone and Noble look very ordinary. Those boys were unlucky to be on the losing side. If we had some people to finish and a bit more pace we would of given them a real fright.

Garvan is possibly one of our best prospects in years. As stuttgart sed he's tall strong and can mix it too. Unbelievable passing. 'Poor mans Andy Reid'?? With a bit of luck he could be the rich man's Andy reid. Not knocking Andy either, see his pass last weekend for Murphy's goal?! Very nice.

The Furure's bright... the future's green

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Garvan's has the potential to be a class act and he seems to have everything in his locker. I really hope he turns out to be the heartbeat of our team in a few seasons time, thats how highly I rate him. Just because Lineker/Hansen/Andy Gray etc don't know who he is doesn't mean he isn't an exciting prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

aha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha

I didn't realise the laughter lounge was streamed live on Foot on a Friday night.

Good one.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    You'd struggle to find a player at the same age with the amount of games played at the level (Even given the time off he had with the injury).. I'm glad he's been somewhat below the radar of the media for know. He'll be better for it in the long run.

Big hopes for him and Chris McCann of Burnley.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He is only 19 for feck sake.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ciaran, players are picked on the basis of their ability and their suitability for the team, not based on their club's league position.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Ciaran, in another thread about 100 people have put forward our an senior XI. I don't think anyone has put Garvan in it.

Get some perspective man. We're saying that a 19 year old with such potential - based on what people say about him and based on what we've seen so far - is exciting if you're an Irish fan. We're not saying he's achieved anything.

As a 19 year old he's more than likely best suited to the U21s. However, given such a lack of talented athletic midfielders (athleticism being a massive factor in today's game, way more than it used to be) Garvan's time for the senior team / squad may be sooner rather than later.

If you were happy with our central midfield in any game in the last 2 years then you're far more positive than I am.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 16/02/2008 at 4:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    people forget probably the most consistent irish midfielder this season glenn whelan, good solid player who deserves his chance
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast