Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Leon Best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Leon Best

What a joke...Nigel Worthington is attempting to persuade Leon Best in declaring for the North. Leon does not have any links to the country what so ever, the North wanted to rule changing, they went mad on the subject and now they have decided they want some of the Republic's players! Such a hypocritical attitude...Also, you're wasting your time! Guarentee you that!From SSN
    Coventry striker Leon Best is being chased by Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington to change his allegiance from Republic of Ireland.

Best, who has enjoyed a fine season to date with Coventry, has represented Republic of Ireland at youth levels but is yet to make an appearance for the senior side.

Worthington has been alerted to Best's possible eligibility to play for Northern Ireland and is thought to be sounding out a move for the former Southampton man.

Best, who was the subject of interest from Ipswich and Nottingham Forest during the January transfer window, has scored six goals this season and his performances have caught the attention of Worthington.

Premier League duo Blackburn and Birmingham are also thought to be keeping tabs on Best, while Championship hopefuls West Brom are weighing up a move for the 21-year-old if they secure promotion at the end of the season.

Best says he is in the dark over interest from Worthington, but refused to rule out a switch of allegiance.

In the dark
    "I have previously played for the Republic of Ireland at youth levels, but not the senior team," Best told skysports.com

"My family come from Ireland and although I was born in England I feel very Irish.

"I have not heard anything from either side.

"I have heard the rumours about Northern Ireland, but I have heard nothing official."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    He has been covered on here before and as far as i know didnt do himself any favours by taking time out to decide his international future and subsequently being named in the england under 21 squad (dont think he played) and in the fact that since then was named in under 19 and 21 ireland squads and not showing up for whatever reason

on top of all this he has recently being quoted as saying that he cant understand why he hasn't been called up in recent squads
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    in fairness we cant be hypocritical if we were the ones that agreed on teh compromise....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    in fairness we cant be hypocritical if we were the ones that agreed on teh compromise....
    Was it not the IFA that were disappointed with the decision because we could steal their players?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I watched Leon Best play for Southampton regularly. This is a storm in a teacup. A red herring!! He will never be good enough to play senior international to a standard we expect from our national team but that is not the issue here I'm afraid.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Was it not the IFA that were disappointed with the decision because we could steal their players?
    yes it was, but I am on about us. we would be being hypocritical like them if we decided to start complaining now when we agreed on it!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The North turned down that compromise did they not? Things were left as they were last I heard, no recepricol agreement, does he have a granny from the 6 counties by any chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I don't think Leon Best is eligible for them. But with Jamie O'Hara name also mentioned recently and now Leon Best's name, it will be interesting to see who else will be linked to the North in the future.

It also sounds like the IFA is interpreting the "eligibility proposal" as the current, applicable rules. If so, it should be a few interesting months ahead of us.

But if he's eligible and wants to play for the North - good luck to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I don't think Leon Best is eligible for them. But with Jamie O'Hara name also mentioned recently and now Leon Best's name, it will be interesting to see who else will be linked to the North in the future.
    I didn't realise O'Hara's name had been linked with the North. It doesn't matter anyway, since he's played a competitive U-21 international for England, he can't play for anyone else but England.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'd be very surprised if Leon gave this a second look - even if he is eligible (which it looks like he isn't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Trust, his mum wears the trousers and she won't let him...sure shanekerins went to primary school with him, he'd be able to tell you sure enough!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Point of information, pls.

On what basis does Best currently qualify for ROI? If it is via a parent/grandparent from the 26 counties, then I personally don't think NI should touch him, either on practical grounds (no real connection to NI) or on grounds of principle (i.e. our objection to FAI capping NI-born players without a parent/g'parent/residence in ROI)

That said, if his parent/grandparent is actually from the 6 counties, then imo we should cap him immediately, even if he's crap!

Also, isn't he already over 21? Wouldn't that disqualify him from "switching", regardless of where his dear oul granny hails from?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Point of information, pls.

On what basis does Best currently qualify for ROI? If it is via a parent/grandparent from the 26 counties, then I personally don't think NI should touch him, either on practical grounds (no real connection to NI) or on grounds of principle (i.e. our objection to FAI capping NI-born players without a parent/g'parent/residence in ROI)
    All very fine to have these high sounding principles when in truth, under those circumstances, NI could not touch him as he would not be eligible.
    Does anybody up North understand the eligibility criteria?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    His mother was born in Dublin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Trust, his mum wears the trousers and she won't let him...sure shanekerins went to primary school with him, he'd be able to tell you sure enough!!
    My Dad met his mum once or twice (sports days and such like) and always said she was very proud of being Irish, so I'm sure she bursts with pride to think of him playing for Ireland. Hopefully he will some day, would be a real thrill to think of someone myself and livehead1 had kickabouts with pulling on the green jersey.

On a side note, About 2 years ago my Dad bumped into Leon in Nottingham and Leon came up to him (not the other way around) and chatted away for a few minutes. He hadn't seen him or me for several years and we were never close mates but I thought that showed real class. Really hope it works out for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I remember when he played for Vernon Colts against West Bridgford and he scored a goal from the half way line, 2 weeks later he was signed for County.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Did a bit of digging around....found proof that Leon Best did play a few official underage games for Republic of Ireland:
    U17 qualifers against France & Germany in 2002:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/und...550/index.html
    http://www.uefa.com/competitions/und...551/index.html

If thats the case he cannot switch now.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeh we've been following him on here. He played for us at a few underage levels. Then he was reported to be maybe changing allegiance and pulled out of a few Ireland squads. He was called into the England U20 squad but was injured so we don't know if he'd have accepted it. He was then called up to our U21s. I think he might have pulled out through injury.

Anyway, as Metrostars, he's now stuck with us.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    not a chance of this happening....... know leon personally, hes from bluebell, strong links to dublin there wouldnt be a hope of that happening. if anything the quotes with ssn made it seem as if he was oblivious to the whole situation

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    a better question is why hasnt he been called up to the U-21 squad... know hes good mates with alot of the players on the team particularily darren randolph and mark yeates

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast