Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Hodgson (new Fulham manager)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Roy Hodgson (new Fulham manager)

There isnt a thread on him yet.
    Considering his contract with Finland is most likely up tomorrow do you think the FAI should snap him up.

He's the only strong candidate with experience of international management. Is this important? Is international football that different from the premiership?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Yes we should. He's been touted by a lot of us for a long time on the Ireland manager thread.

Ticks all the boxes for me to trot out the cliche that seems to have taken over this process!

Far better choice then Vanbales despite waht Paul Hyland and Independent newspapers seem to be attempting to brainwash us to believe..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    There isnt a thread on him yet.
    Considering his contract with Finland is most likely up tomorrow do you think the FAI should snap him up.

He's the only strong candidate with experience of international management. Is this important? Is international football that different from the premiership?
    Securing Hodgson would be a result.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Neil McD has been banging Hodgson's drum since the start.

Good candidate with impressive club and international career but a bit in the Roxburgh / Houllier mould maybe?

He certainly has Finland in contention so any fears that he may be yesterday's man (Swiss success was in 1994, Inter Milan was late 90s) seem unfounded.

He has the international experience the "senior players" seem to want. He strikes me as a bit gentlemanly and maybe doesn't have the gravitas required to get our team fired up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'd prefer Jewell tbh. I reckon he would stick around for the long haul if we were doing well. Can't see the same with Hodgson.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    i dont believe it should be an international manager's job to get players fired up - if they dont feel pride in playing for their country i cant see anyone helping them.

jewell iss no more likely to stick around
    he's got a terrible record for clearing off to clubs
    and iim sure he'd love a plum top premiership job

hodgson however is in latter stages of his career and has probably no more interest in day to day management.
    and im sure the premiership doesnt interest him anymore

he qualified the swiss for the euros in 96 as well as the world cup in 94 btw

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

He has the international experience the "senior players" seem to want. He strikes me as a bit gentlemanly and maybe doesn't have the gravitas required to get our team fired up.
    Yeah Stutts, the often aired concerns in relation to our current crop of players "moral courage" continues to worry me.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Neil McD has been banging Hodgson's drum since the start.
    ah.....first childish giggle of the day...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    The ability to set out a well balanced functional team is more of a concern to me in a way. I think the penny has begun to drop with the players now but even still if they get bored during international meet ups (poor pets) I won't underestimate the capacity of some of our players to underperform.

Anyway, I've no idea of Hodgson's football philosophy. Is he an attacking coach, a defensive coach or a guy who can vary it?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The ability to set out a well balanced functional team is more of a concern to me in a way. I think the penny has begun to drop with the players now but even still if they get bored during international meet ups (poor pets) I won't underestimate the capacity of some of our players to underperform.

Anyway, I've no idea of Hodgson's football philosophy. Is he an attacking coach, a defensive coach or a guy who can vary it?
    Finland have only conceded 7 goals so far in this campaign. That is a good sign. Hodgson to me is a real contender for the job. Speculating here but I believe he would want to manage us over continuing with Finland (bigger profile for him and he would have seen the impact Charlton had with the Irish team).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From Wikipedia, so people can have a look.

Roy Hodgson (born August 9, 1947) is an English football manager. He is currently the head coach of the Finnish national team.

Hodgson is probably best known for guiding the Swiss national team to the 1994 World Cup and Euro 1996; before that Switzerland had not qualified for a major tournament since the 1960s. He has also coached many notable club sides, including Malmö FF, Internazionale, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen and Udinese.

Hodgson has served several times as a member of UEFA's technical study group at the European Championships, and he is also a member of the FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) at the 2006 World Cup. Hodgson has worked as a television pundit in several of the countries in which he has coached as well.
    Contents

Biography

Hodgson was born in Croydon and educated at John Ruskin Grammar School. He was a moderately successful player with Crystal Palace followed by several years in non-league football with Tonbridge, Gravesend and Northfleet and Maidstone United (where he was assistant coach to Bobby Houghton), before starting his coaching career at Swedish Allsvenskan outfit Halmstads BK in 1976. He spent five years at the club, winning the Swedish championship in 1976 and 1979. In 1980, he moved to Bristol City in his native England, where he was assistant manager and later manager. In 1983, Hodgson moved back to Sweden to take over Örebro SK. In 1985, he took over at Malmö FF, which he led to five consecutive Allsvenskan league championships, two Swedish championships (at the time the Swedish championship was decided through play-offs) as well as two Swedish Cups before moving to Swiss side Neuchâtel Xamax in 1990. Along with Houghton, Hodgson is credited with transforming Swedish football.[1]

In 1992, Hodgson took over the Swiss national team, which he led to the 1994 World Cup, also reaching the second round, and Euro 1996. Before the start of the European Championships, however, he joined Italian Serie A giants Internazionale, where he worked from 1995 to 1997, reaching the UEFA Cup final in 1996-97. In 1997, he moved back to England to manage Premiership side Blackburn Rovers, which he guided to the UEFA Cup in his first season, but was sacked early in the second season because of poor form. In 1998, he was seriously considered to succeed Berti Vogts as the coach of the German national team, but the German FA decided to appoint a domestic coach instead. In 1999, he had a brief second stint at Inter before returning to Switzerland to coach Grasshoppers for a season.

In 2000, Hodgson was one of three candidates to take over as England manager, but when Sven-Göran Eriksson was chosen, he moved to Denmark to win the Superliga championship with F.C. Copenhagen in 2000-01. In 2001, he broke his contract with F.C. Copenhagen to move to Serie A side Udinese, before taking over as coach of the United Arab Emirates later in the same year. In May 2004, he moved to Norwegian club Viking F.K.. On August 15, 2005, he agreed to take over as coach of the Finnish national team for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign. He started the job in January 2006.

[edit] Managerial stats
    Team Nat From To Record
    G W L D Win %
    Halmstads BK Flag of Sweden 1976 1980
    Bristol City Flag of England 3 January 1982 30 April 1982 20 3 12 5 15.00
    Örebro SK Flag of Sweden 1983 1985
    Malmö FF Flag of Sweden 1985 1990
    Neuchâtel Xamax Flag of Switzerland 1990 1992
    Switzerland Flag of Switzerland 1992 1995
    Internazionale Flag of Italy 1995 1997
    Blackburn Rovers Flag of England 1 June 1997 21 November 1998 62 22 22 18 35.48
    Internazionale Flag of Italy 1999 1999
    Grasshoppers Flag of Switzerland 1999 2000
    F.C. Copenhagen Flag of Denmark 2000 2001
    Udinese Flag of Italy 21 June 2001 10 December 2001 17 7 5 5 41.17
    United Arab Emirates Flag of the United Arab Emirates 2001 2003
    Viking FK Flag of Norway 11 July 2004 2006
    Finland Flag of Finland 2006 present

[edit] Managerial honours

[edit] Flag of Sweden Halmstads BK

Winners

* 1976 Allsvenskan (Level 1)
    * 1976 Swedish Champions
    * 1979 Allsvenskan (Level 1)
    * 1979 Swedish Champions

[edit] Flag of Sweden Malmö FF

Winners

* 1985–86 Svenska Cupen
    * 1986 Allsvenskan (Level 1)
    * 1986 Swedish Champions
    * 1987 Allsvenskan (Level 1)
    * 1988 Allsvenskan (Level 1)
    * 1988 Swedish Champions
    * 1988–89 Svenska Cupen
    * 1989 Allsvenskan (Level 1)

Runner Up

* 1987 Allsvenskan play-off
    * 1989 Allsvenskan play-off

[edit] Flag of Switzerland Switzerland

* 1994 FIFA World Cup qualification

Flag of Italy Internazionale

Runner Up

* 1996–97 UEFA Cup
    Flag of Denmark F.C. Copenhagen

Winner

* 2000–01 Danish Superliga (Level 1)
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    So, not really much more experienced than Stan then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would reckon the first thing that Hodgson would do, is that he would make us hard to beat and tight at the back. It really is some achievement to have Finland knocking on the door when they have been in the doldrums of late and have never qualified or even really been in the running.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    interestingly duff played his first full season under him at blackburn. scored 4 goal in 26 appearances.
    was duff one of the senior players to meet with the fai?
    and another point of face is he's getting paid a pittence at finland.
    considering he turned turn the wales job, back when hughes got it, because he wouldnt work for less than 100k a year
    Last edited by eekers; 21/11/2007 at 2:20 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    really? duff scored 10 and 11 the next seasons i think though....

its quite mixed though his record. I mean what he is doing with Finland is great, but what were there youth sides doing over the last few years?! I also think that Finland were in the top 4 the last campaign also.....but still if he can make a team beat the lesser oppositions home and away then he IS OUR man.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm also a long time Hodgson fanclub member on here

There's a good Q&A write up with him here: http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/548601.pdf

It's gives a good insight into his coaching mindset and philosophy. He is 100% assured at what he does and has adapted to many different coaching roles.

You could also add to his expansive CV that he guided Malmo to 2 European Cup 1/4 final appearances in his time there.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Would it not worry people that he has a habit of jumping from one job to another? In his recent past he seems to hardly ever spend more than a year in one place? He's like the littlest hobo, he just keeps moving on.

Still it might be no bad thing if he gets things organised and gives us a good year or two to get back on our feet.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not the worst candidate by any means and obviously a much better bet than El Tel. Jewell for me though would be the right choice.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd take him.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Finland's results in this campaign to date:

Poland 1 – 3 Finland
    Finland 1 – 1 Portugal
    Armenia 0 – 0 Finland
    Kazakhstan 0 – 2 Finland
    Finland 1 – 0 Armenia
    Azerbaijan 1 – 0 Finland
    Finland 0 – 2 Serbia
    Finland 2 – 0 Belgium
    Finland 2 – 1 Kazakhstan
    Finland 0 – 0 Poland
    Belgium 0 – 0 Finland
    Finland 2 – 1 Azerbaijan
    Portugal – Finland playing tonight

Mixed enough and they’re really only still in contention because Portugal shipped 90th minute equalizers in back-to-back games in September with Poland & Serbia (I laughed sadistically at the time, thinking that I knew how they felt!).

That said, very respectable results with what I guess isn’t that strong or deep a squad and only slipped on one of a few banana skins.

By comparison Portugal and Poland each won by 2 in Azerbaijan, Serbia by 5 whereas Finland lost.

At least Kazakstan didn't beat them 5-2 and draw with them in Helsinki!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast