Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Kerley sacked.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Mike Kerley has been sacked so that our new owner can appoint a friend to the job. That is unprofessional especially when the incoming man (and we all know who he is) finished last and third last in the First Division in his two seasons in charge. We're not bringing in a proven, hugely experienced manager by any stretch. In fact I remember us winning two home games in Jackman Park in one of Noel's seasons. Personally I feel that both Mike and Noel have got plenty to bring to the floor but I don't think there's any huge difference between them in terms of managerial ability.

We're going to have a better set-up next season. I'm not trying to deny that for a second. But it does leave a sour taste in the mouth when people are so eager to rush off into the promised land of Premier Division football that they're willing to turn their backs on a man that this time last year they heralded as being able to walk on water. Football is football and managers come and go and I understand that totally, I didn't shed any tears when either of our last two managers WALKED OUT and to be honest I won't cry for Mike either.

But in an age when fans waffle on about demanding loyalty from players it might be nice to see us do the same... The club comes first naturally but I'd JoeSoap's point a step further, a lot of people have already shown their colours in this matter...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hi there:

Agree with my Friend Joe on this one. The Dogs in the street knew that Mike was not going to be manager this year. Leaving aside the dire performances on the pitch, a team that did not seem to care in the majority and treated the fans with disrespect at times, poor Training habits etc It was obvious that a "new Broom Sweeps clean". It was always going to be the Mangaer thats the fall guy.

I wish People on this forum would awaken to the fact that Limerick Fc will be now run as a business that demands in itself success. We have to get out of this Division first. There will be new players coming in this year with experience to assist this goal.

Also just beacuse you are friendly with someone does not mean that your opinion is less valid, the opposite I feel could be argued.

As regards Mike, All I will say is Keep an eye on the Sports Pages over the next few weeks and come back with the same arguements then.
    All the best

John

Who for one has looked forward to the Rebirth of Limerick FC for a long time.
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    If Mike Kerley was being replaced by a proven high-quality manager I would agree with you. He is not. No room for discussion there. Surely a business that demands success in itself would look a little further afield than somebody who's already managed to lead us to re-election? Lay out the league record of the incoming man and tell me how it reads? 5-0 home defeats against Sligo Rovers anybody? If we're aiming for the big time why are we replacing like with like? All the complaints that are only now being lain at Mike Kerley's feet were previously thrown at his predecessor. Poor training? Rude to fans??? Alienates players left, right and centre (anybody remember that Derek McCarthy only chose Limerick over Kilkenny when Mike was appointed?) Nobody wants to see the birth of Limerick FC more than me. I just can't understand how the sacking of Mike Kerley and appointment of another proven re-election boss is a pre-requisite of this.

Stand up and be counted lads for Christ's sake. I realise that we're all expected to fall into line and throw ourselves at the feet on the incoming saviour but right now if he's expecting a line of psychopants it's looking like he's in the right place.

While we're at it John, I don't care how long ago he sounded out the possibility of barring certain fans from the ground, it's the fact that he looked at the idea at all that disgusts me. If there was racial abuse I'd say by all means toss the culprit out and never let them back but I sense a bit of a power trip coming on here. I just remember when this was about . If Limerick go up next season I'll be the first to hold up my hands and say 'Well done to the owner/manager etc.' But I will still reserve the right to say that sh1tting on people shouldn't be encouraged in any walk of life.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    Well I am amazed!!...Why would Pat Dolan want to bring him to Cork ???..It's a bit short notice but it could be the fresh change we need. I never rated him tatically anyway..Who could take over though?
    And now all of a sudden you're heralding the man's return??? I'm actually mystified...

BTW John, we're still buds, let's prove to everybody else that online disagreements don't have to spill over into real life!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Lads i honest to god couldnt believe this thread wasnt a wind up. This is an absolute disgrace Mike desrved the chance with a proper set up after the miracle play off season. An awful lot is now being made of the fact that he had a €3000 budget to work with this season and i wouldn claim to be as well up on the inner workings of the club as some other people on this forum but it was my under standing that this money came too late to have a meaningful effect on the season otherwise we surely wouldn have had our mass exodus in pre season? Also just what exactly was Mike supposed to offer potential quality signings to Limerick a club which remember was unsure of its very existence just a week before the seasons kick off the man could have had a budget of €3 million in those circumstances and it wouldn have mattered a jot. Mike deserved great credit for not walking away and this point and above all he deserved a bit of loyalty something which the new owners obviously dont hold in high regard particularly when u consider the slimy fcuk who looks like taking his place A slimy fcuk with a very pooor record of getting results by the way

Mike Kerley a victim of circumstance i wish him well

Still Lim till i die.....but rightly ****ed off right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hi SlK

I am not heralding anyones return all I am saying is The Manager is ALWAYS the first to go when a new guy takes over. You know this is true.

I am simply stting the realities on the ground as I see it. Lets all face them lads. If a new Guy pumps money in He will want a return on his investment.
    All of what I and Maineman, 4 to floor and Joe still stands up. We did not do it on the Pitch QED.(I think!)

Remember What i said about the Papers, from what I was Told MK looked for confimation re his position when it was not on the agenda. Maybe he has something lined up ??

Watch this space. We have not heard the full story boys

all the best SLK and lots of Hugs and Kissses

JohnD....You dont want success, cant handle success etc !!!
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die
    something which the new owners obviously dont hold in high regard particularly when u consider the slimy fcuk who looks like taking his place A slimy fcuk with a very pooor record of getting results by the way

Mike Kerley a victim of circumstance i wish him well
    Very tasteful, high class posting indeed.

This would be the slim fcuk that brought the club its only piece of National success for a decade, who assembled Kerleys squad of players for the successful one season we had, and the one partly responsible for Cork City being runners up in the Premier Division, and having a long successful(by Irish Standards) run in Europe. You are an idiot, and an ignoramus, and you have just proven that.

As for Mike Kerley being a victim of circumstance, maybe so, and I too wish him well but it doesn't disguise the simple fact that he largely failed as a manager, largely due to inexperience, something that the 'slimy fcuk' seems to have gone and gotten lots of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    You are an idiot, and an ignoramus, and you have just proven that.
    Well Joe i measure the amount of offence i take to a personal insult by the quality of the man who delivers it. In this case you will be pleased to find i take no offence whatsoever

Back on topic i admit that maybe slimy fcuk was a bit to harsh on the great man who will no doubt lead us back to the promised land of League cup glory regular hammerings at home and re-election I just cant understand why Mike was let go to make room for a man with such a staggeringly mediocre record. I am willing to forget his jumping ship to Cork on the eve of a season and give him a (small) chance as im sure most Lims fans will (by the way feel free to educate me on the "real" circumstances behind his departure which led to my "slimy fcuk" description ) however its difficult to accept hes any better than Mike going by his record. Heres hopin your right and im wrong eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    We did not do it on the Pitch QED.(I think!)
    I couldn't agree more. But then surely the new appointment should be somebody whose league record (last and third last in two seasons I'll repeat again) bears looking at? I personally think that NOC will do reasonably well this time out. I presume that he's received assurances about structures etc to drag him back from Cork. But I still fail to see what makes him such a superior appointment. If the new owners were looking for somebody with a proven track record and experience then somebody like John Gill, Jimmy McGeough or Harry McCue. I'm not saying that any of these men were attainable targets but they've all achieved in the First Division. With all due respect to Noel he's still unproven and could go either way. Nothing that he showed in her first two seasons with us suggest that the First Division title is a formality next season. That said, I want to stress that I don't view Noel as a bad appointment, just fail to see exactly what seperates him from Kerley.

Remember What i said about the Papers, from what I was Told MK looked for confimation re his position when it was not on the agenda. Maybe he has something lined up ??

Watch this space. We have not heard the full story boys
    Well then tell us John. Don't keep us in suspense. What I do remember reading very recently is Mike Kerley saying that he wanted to still be in charge of Limerick next year. And to be honest with all the speculation surrounding his job one could hardly blame Mike if he went out sniffing around other posts. I personally hope that Mike goes on to better things now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    [QUOTE=sadloserkid] That said, I want to stress that I don't view Noel as a bad appointment, just fail to see exactly what seperates him from Kerley.
    [QUOTE]

I believe his coaching skills, knowledge of te EL scene, and two years experience at one of the biggest clubs in the country gives him a huge advantage as a manager, none of which Kerley has. I also believe that he would not have blown a decent budget on 30 players like Kerley did, and he also has more strength of character and not be a lackey for the likes of O'Sullivan, McMahon and Purcell.They were the reason he 'deserted' the club the last time,and you have to admit he is taking a big risk, giving up a well paid, cushy number,with uefa cup football guaranteed to take this job.

I think he should be judged by his signings, training, and performances on the pitch...not on what happened three seasons ago. He has learned a hell of a lot, and after all he has given to the club in the past, he deserves the chance to prove himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    I believe his coaching skills, knowledge of te EL scene, and two years experience at one of the biggest clubs in the country gives him a huge advantage as a manager, none of which Kerley has.
    The only one of those I'd give him over Kerley is the two years with Cork City and I wouldn't set a huge amount in that (though obviously I'd set something). Obviously it will only have been beneficial but I don't think it will have transformed him so totally that the club are making the right decision in not even opening the postition up to other applicants.

I don't agree that Kerley has no coaching skills or eL knowledge at all and I think it's very unfair of you to imply that he is lacking massively in this regard. Similarly Noel O'Connor had plenty of awful players in his Limerick team, Anton Mannering just being the first who came to mind. And if Mike Kerley is as god awful as everybody now seems to be suggesting it's hardly indicative of any great professionalism that he was going to be trusted with Limerick's U-21 set up.

I think he should be judged by his signings, training, and performances on the pitch...not on what happened three seasons ago. He has learned a hell of a lot, and after all he has given to the club in the past, he deserves the chance to prove himself.
    I couldn't agree more with you on this. If he's coming in let's give him a chance to see how he's developed. Hopefully he'll be a resounding success and we'll waltz through the First Division this season and everybody will be able to tell me 'I told you so'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid
    Similarly Noel O'Connor had plenty of awful players in his Limerick team, Anton Mannering just being the first who came to mind. .
    ...agreed. Lets not forget John Paul Stokes, Gareth Ryan and David Dunphy.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

and

dont forget Barry Ryan (2nd edition) While im sorry to see Mick go (and i hope he stays as underage manager) i for one welcome the new ants! all hail the ants!
    Last edited by gael353; 25/11/2004 at 9:33 PM. Reason: do it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    does anyone know exactly who the new invstors are? evryone knows there has been lot of money for sports in limerick recently e.g rugby gaa why is the soccer not getting it
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    ...agreed. Lets not forget John Paul Stokes.....
    'The Cheetah' is what I called him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This has just simply boiled over to being a case of mud slinging and seeing what sticks. Its too easy to hypotheses 'what ifs' between Noel and Mike, you cannot make arguments based on that.

When looking at the facts its important to take into account all factors. Yes, Mike did not do the business this season but then again neither did Noel in his time of charge of Limerick in the league. I think the daggers have come out too easily for Mike's blood just because there is a new investor with money. We all knew this season was going to be a disaster, have we all forgotten why players left? The committee failed in its job to provide Mike with the resources and were lucky to succeed in getting a club licence. Mike had almost no time to gather a group of players together as well as us having no pre-season. At the start of the campaign he had a budget $1000, which John Purcell told to everyone. As for him signing 30 players, how many of them were retained as the season went on. I don't think its fair to hang Mike just because we have new personnel coming in. In regards to Noel, yes he is entitled to have time to prove himself before we start making judgements but you cannot ignore his past record. When he took over the rein's that was also his chance to prove himself. Noel should consider himself fortunate to be getting a second chance, he wasn't sacked like Mike, he walked out on the club regardless of what was going on at the time. When you think about it, Mike stuck it out when things got bad, especially when we were in danger of been kicked out of the league. I think hypocrisy has crept into this debate and we should be careful of that.

Ultimately what concerns me is the style of management, there might be new money in the club but its how the club is handled that is worrying. Nothing seems to have changed in that respect. I'm afraid the club could be compared to the present state of the health system...new minister throwing plenty of money at it but unfortunately the same old mismanagement.
    Limerick 37, its so shiny and new we dare not take the cover off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nempton
    The committee failed in its job to provide Mike with the resources..... At the start of the campaign he had a budget $1000, which John Purcell told to everyone.

Ultimately what concerns me is the style of management, there might be new money in the club but its how the club is handled that is worrying. Nothing seems to have changed in that respect. I'm afraid the club could be compared to the present state of the health system...new minister throwing plenty of money at it but unfortunately the same old mismanagement.
    Does mismanagement involve the obtaining of a ground a club can call home? With proper training facilities, a proper structure, guarantees that players will get paid? Does mismanagement involve the putting together of a plan which assures re-election, a new squad of decent players? I for one don't think so.

The committee failed to provide Mike with resources?? €3000 a week is one hell of a budget, especially for a pauperised football club. The main mismanagement I can see came from the handling of this budget, and subsequent weekly payments to the likes of CP OBrien, Alan Barry, a goalkeeping coach, and several others that clearly weren't up to the standards required. There were players there getting 4 times what one loyal player who played in nearly every game got, bt all he wanted to do was play football...more fool him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Well this thread went very off point, pretty much degenerated into a who's manager is bigger argument. Back to the priginal thread from SLK on the way Kerley departed Limerick, and on to the pint that has been pretty much left untouched, that of the new owner contemplating banning one of our own from the matches.

Personally I feel Limerick FC as a club owed Mike a bit more respect, not just for what he did for us last year, but just for the way he handled himself. He always struck me as a very straight shooting kinda guy, so if reports of him having to call the chairman and asking what he's postion was is true, well I don't think thats anyway to treat a man who did a lot for our club.

And what about the possible banning of one Limerick's fans guys? No-one seems to be touching on that point, which if true, should at least prompt some sort of outcry from Limerick FC fans on this board. Sadly most seem to be happy to bury their collective heads in the sand for fear of rocking the new owner boat....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jebus

Personally I feel Limerick FC as a club owed Mike a bit more respect, not just for what he did for us last year, but just for the way he handled himself. He always struck me as a very straight shooting kinda guy, so if reports of him having to call the chairman and asking what he's postion was is true, well I don't think thats anyway to treat a man who did a lot for our club.

And what about the possible banning of one Limerick's fans guys? No-one seems to be touching on that point, which if true, should at least prompt some sort of outcry from Limerick FC fans on this board. Sadly most seem to be happy to bury their collective heads in the sand for fear of rocking the new owner boat....
    can somebody explain this about banning a fan i never heard this one before did anybody read pat dolans page in the star this week he thinks very highly of noc so think noc wanted by cork but avable to lims i think we should count ourselfs very lucky maybe the new people are wrong but give them a chance it not like there trying to make sh i t of the club they are trying to sort it out now stop moaning and think of next season and OUR OWN HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES OUR OWN HOME!!!!!!!!!!!YES OUR OWN HOME

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willie john
    can somebody explain this about banning a fan i never heard this one before did anybody read pat dolans page in the star this week he thinks very highly of noc so think noc wanted by cork but avable to lims i think we should count ourselfs very lucky maybe the new people are wrong but give them a chance it not like there trying to make sh i t of the club they are trying to sort it out now stop moaning and think of next season and OUR OWN HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES OUR OWN HOME!!!!!!!!!!!YES OUR OWN HOME

Last point very valid, it would make you automatically on a sounder footing than Shamrock Rovers, who their fans always remind us are the most successful LOI club ever blah blah blah blah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I don't know anything about this fan-ban thing either, so i'm not in a position to comment about it. I could probably guess who it is though, and if i'm right in who I think it is, it would be a shame if a dedicated fan like that was banned. That kind of thing is not on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast