Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Shay Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Shay Given

I watched Nicky Colgan make a horrendous mistake on his debut for Barnsley. Surely there is a better alternative to Colgan as understudy to Shay Given. I know Paddy Kenny is in the squad. But how is the likes Murphy (West Brom) getting on. If anyhing happens to Shay, Brian Kerr will have to get down on his knees and beg Dean Kiely to return.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    If anyhing happens to Shay, Brian Kerr will have to get down on his knees and beg Dean Kiely to return.
    Graham Stack is a very capable replacement.
    No worries.
    Big strong brave lad.
    In my opinion he's better than Colgan and Kenny.
    Hopefully his loan spell at Millwall will get him some more first team football this season.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The reason we lost Kiely was he was never seen as Shay's equal but just as cover. It should've been competitive as to who was Ireland's No 1 as Deano is at least as good as Shay. Very bad mistake on McCarthy's part.
    I personally like Paddy Kenny. Bit lardy and unspectacular but does the simple stuff very well which is the main thing you want from your keeper. Stack is first choice at Millwall this year. Megson has brought in another keeper at West Brom(Polish No2 i think) so things not looking good for Murphy. Lot of promising underage Keepers but you know how long it takes for players in that position to come through. Always liked the look of Dan Connor at Waterford.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    As much as I dislike the man due to club commitments, Paddy Kenny would be able to do a job for us between the sticks. He does cover the goal well for a fella of his size, and has been one of the best keepers outside the top flight in England for the past few seasons.

Maybe you're being a bit harsh on Nicky Colgan though, every keeper has his **** ups, no matter how good. Schmeichel had a dodgy kick vs Barnsley once, Seaman and Nayim and Macedonia and the ill fated dribble against Leicester where Tony Cottee (I think) caught him out and David James any given Saturday.

I haven't seen a lot of Stack, though it does sound encouraging that he is getting some first team action. I don't know if Murphy quite has enough to make the grade at this level, might make a few squads though, given we aren't blessed with so many goalkeepers.

Would you say Shay Given would be a good bet to end up being Ireland's most capped player ever come the end of his career?

Ade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The reason Kiely retired was because he was travelling to the likes of Iran knowing quite well he'll be sitting on the bench for 90 minutes when he could be making use of that time with his family. I'm sure he'd come back if he knew he'd be getting his game (ie. an injury to Given).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    The reason Kiely retired was because he was travelling to the likes of Iran knowing quite well he'll be sitting on the bench for 90 minutes when he could be making use of that time with his family. I'm sure he'd come back if he knew he'd be getting his game (ie. an injury to Given).
    Kiely certainly got a bum deal, I don't remember him playing very many competitive games for Ireland, away to Turkey in that play-off was probably the most important game. He is every bit as good as Shay Given and McCarthy should have played him at least against group minnows. Kerr could have given him time as well but played Shay in those first friendlies. I don't blame him for leaving, definitely our loss.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In terms of cover I don't think Colgan is really international class.

Kenny is probably our #2.

Murphy needs a new club.

Stack is probably going to get first team football at Millwall so we will soon know how good he is.

And Darren Ward moving to Norwich may mean Barry Roche gets a shot again at Forest though realistically he will be #2 behind Gerrard.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say Stack will get his chance before too long. He seemed to do well last season in the Arsenal League cup campaign. It'll be interesting to see how he does at Millwall. A few decent months should see him make the squad. No offence to Nicky Colgan but Hibs and Barnsley hardly inspire confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MickCollins
    Kerr could have given him time as well but played Shay in those first friendlies.
    Kiely started Kerr's first match in charge against Scotland. Given played the next 2 competitive matches and then Kiely retired.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    And Darren Ward moving to Norwich may mean Barry Roche gets a shot again at Forest though realistically he will be #2 behind Gerrard.
    I wouldn't think Roche will amount to anymore than a second division goalkeeper, he really isn't the quality. He just looks nervous the whole time, and after the coffee cup incident at Pride Park, he's now tagged the Kenco Kid!

Ade

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Kiely started Kerr's first match in charge against Scotland. Given played the next 2 competitive matches and then Kiely retired.
    You're right my memory is terrible, but stll I think Kiely would have stayed if he was was given some competitive games. There would be a lot of people who would say Kiely is a better keeper than Given anyhow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianovic
    the coffee cup incident at Pride Park, he's now tagged the Kenco Kid!

Ade
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Kiely certainly got a bum deal, I don't remember him playing very many competitive games for Ireland, away to Turkey in that play-off was probably the most important game. He is every bit as good as Shay Given and McCarthy should have played him at least against group minnows. Kerr could have given him time as well but played Shay in those first friendlies. I don't blame him for leaving, definitely our loss.
    Nor do I in truth. Surely no one has carried more traffic cones and ball bags for Ireland. Was even overlooked when Steve Harper was keeping Shay out of the Newcastle team. Read a brilliant story about him involving the Saipan disaster. Seemingly after Roy and Micks ..ahem ...frank exchange of opinions followed by Roys departure the room fell silent. After a couple of minutes Mick, in a low tone, asked the squad if anyone wanted to say anything. Silence for a few seconds -then Kiely pipes up "Boss I think I can do a job for you in midfield if I'm needed"
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PAURO 7

Sorry, in gag.

The story is Forest were playing their greatest rivals Derby at Pride Park last season and someone past it backed to Roche, but just before it got to him it hit a coffee cup, it bobbled and as a result he scuffed his clearance to a striker and they got a goal.

He's known as the Kenco Kid in training and to the fans.

Ade

Krusty The Mon
    Given is looking v. shakey lately but Donegal Mafia will see to it that his position as Ireland's no.1 is not up for grabs no matter what so speculation is useless. So only no hopers need apply for the place on subs bench.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    It's not his fault Newcastle are playing a left back in the centre.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Saw brief highlights of Millwall's weekend game on the BBC London News. They showed Stack making 4 really good saves, when each time it looked more likely there'd be a goal. I also think he has now kept 4 consecutive clean sheets.

He's young, getting regular first team football and is bang in form. Colgan is the wrong side of 30 and his career is in a slide. There's no benefit in carrying Colgan as a third choice keeper and Stack would surely benefit from international squad involvement. Easy decision in my view. Drop Colgan altogether.

I also agree that Kiely would step in in the event of a crisis.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't believe Kerr would ask Kiely to step in were Given to be injured. What sort of message would that send to the likes of Colgan, Murphy, Kenny and Stack? Lads, you're in the squad but really have no chance! Kiely has retired. Kerr is not that kind of man-manager. Given plus three of the above would have to be injured before Kiely would be asked.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod
    I don't believe Kerr would ask Kiely to step in were Given to be injured. What sort of message would that send to the likes of Colgan, Murphy, Kenny and Stack? Lads, you're in the squad but really have no chance! Kiely has retired. Kerr is not that kind of man-manager. Given plus three of the above would have to be injured before Kiely would be asked.
    Yeah, I think, even in the event of an injury to Given, Kenny & Colgan (in that order) would be promoted to first team football... I have alot of respect of Stack as a goalie and if I were Kerr and Stack was getting a decent amount of football under his belt, I would have Stack as second choice. To be fair to Given, he has been very consistent for Ireland these last few years, I remember especially the play-off match with Iran at Lansdowne when he'd nothing to do for so much of the match and then was called on late in the match to make a number of (as it turned out) very important saves. I doubt anyone here is asking whether Given should be dropped cos of Newcastle's results recently but it was interesting to note that last season, Newcastle didn't win a game in the Premiership til the sixth match...

thecorner

Shay Given

haviong a bit of mare today against bolton...fault of the 2 goals i reckon

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast