Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey O'Brien

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Joey O'Brien

Joey O'Brien is thinking of going down the same road as stephen ireland and retiring from international football at the age of 22. this is absolutely shameful. he says its because he hasnt been starting the games, hes a youngster with 3 caps, why doesnt he work hard and train hard instead of crying to the media?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richieos View Post
    Joey O'Brien is thinking of going down the same road as stephen ireland and retiring from international football at the age of 22. this is absolutely shameful. he says its because he hasnt been starting the games, hes a youngster with 3 caps, why doesnt he work hard and train hard instead of crying to the media?
    It is a ridiculous story indeed.
    To think he is even considering doing so, and then you think back to somebody like Carsley, who was a bit part player in the Irish squad from day one, up until he decided it was time to retire when Kerr went after the Swiss game, it would make you cringe.
    It doesn't say a lot about O'Brien's professional attitude towards football at all.

If he just keeps quiet, and concentrates on returning to regular football after overcoming his long injury problems, then maybe he'll get his chance. A little less conversation and a little more action please Joey.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    If this story is true then these young footballers(also stephen Ireland) are beginning to turn international football into a laughing stock.
    Is it going to get to the situation that FIFA are going to have to make playing for your country compulsory.
    In some players defence a lot of the supposed "big clubs" are exerting big pressure to discourage players playing for countries that these clubs do not consider to be high profile enough.
    This seems to be the state of football today.The only power that we have is to withdraw our support from these clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    report on rte.ie - http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1026/obrienj.html
    comes from an interview in the mirror
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    He's some idiot with a friendly game just around the corner he could have gotten his chance. Now that he's gone crying to the media what position would that put Trap in if he was going to give him a start? It would look like he played him because of his outburst. He may have just talked himself out of the team.

He has a right to be disappointed that likes of Whelan and Gibson are getting into the team ahead of him but he is also still very inexperienced and has no devine right to start. He should just continue to play like he is, keep his head down and work hard. If he is good enough he will get his chance. He's only 22 years of age and if some reason Trap doen't rate him the next manager will be in place when he's 24.
    This sickens me.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 26/10/2008 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I don't want players like him or Stephen Ireland playing for my country. If they could even contemplate retiring from international football at that age then they should be told where to go.. There are plenty of other Irish players who would kill for the chance to represent their nation!
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought he was out injured anyway and thats why he didn't play vs Cyprus???
    If he was fit last Wednesday he should have started!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Mind boggling. The Stepehen Ireland fiasco wasn't really a huge surprise but Joey O'Brien!! unless he was asked leading questions and it was a set up job by the journo. But if it's true then it is a disgrace when players like McGeady & McCarthy will have to put with abuse in every domestic game for their decision to play for Ireland. I think I am going to shift codes completely to rugby, if the players don't why should we??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Sorry but after reading what he said it makes sense. I mean he is not Pele, he has to work hard even to play at Bolton. Its a lot of sacrifice to show up and not play at all, his point is if he isnt playing than he might as well not be there, whats the difference? I mean that makes sense to me.
    As Roy says Trap has gone a path with some of the players and thats the way its going to be.
    Joey makes a good point how is not playing in the games "playing for your country?"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Mind boggling. The Stepehen Ireland fiasco wasn't really a huge surprise but Joey O'Brien!! unless he was asked leading questions and it was a set up job by the journo. But if it's true then it is a disgrace when players like McGeady & McCarthy will have to put with abuse in every domestic game for their decision to play for Ireland. I think I am going to shift codes completely to rugby, if the players don't why should we??

because were not meant to follow the example of these idiots, were meant to stick by our country no matter what, in every sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You can see why he's frustrated though.

I thought he was injured for the Cyprus game but after learning that he was fit I feel he should have started centre-midfield, he should definetley be ahead of McShane anyway!
    It baffles me that a player playing week in-week out in the Premiership can't even make the bench!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Its a lot of sacrifice to show up and not play at all, his point is if he isnt playing than he might as well not be there, whats the difference? I mean that makes sense to me.
    I hardly call it a sacrifice. These players harp on about spending time away from their families when they get to be home at lunchtime everyday after training. They see more of them than regular people get to see theirs. Just another punk throwing a strop...
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Sorry but after reading what he said it makes sense. I mean he is not Pele, he has to work hard even to play at Bolton. Its a lot of sacrifice to show up and not play at all, his point is if he isnt playing than he might as well not be there, whats the difference? I mean that makes sense to me.
    As Roy says Trap has gone a path with some of the players and thats the way its going to be.
    Joey makes a good point how is not playing in the games "playing for your country?"
    Nonsense. He should have been dreaming of playing for his country his whole life, and he's close to doing that, especially as he could fill the right back position in a few years. By playing his hand now he's just shown how much of a whinger he is. Kick him out of the squad and only let him back when he has issued a full apology is what I say.

Someone mentioned Carsley being a bit part player his whole career a few posts up and it's a good point. We want dedication like Carsleys in our squad, not the nonsense that Ireland and O'Brien are bringing. To think a player of the ability of John Sheridan was happy getting just 34 caps and we have this lot moaning about being bench warmers or getting insults off their team mates.

Football, it's just not as good as it used to be
    Last edited by jebus; 26/10/2008 at 7:39 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm afraid, that, you are right jebus
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If this story is true then these young footballers(also stephen Ireland) are beginning to turn international football into a laughing stock.
    No that happened when the Granny rule came in.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian1890 View Post
    No that happened when the Granny rule came in.
    How did letting the likes of Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge etc play for the country of their family make a laughing stock of International football....
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There are LOI players who WANT to play for Ireland you know. Unfortunately there is an unwritten rule that says you cannot play for Ireland unless you shop at Sainsburys.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post

Football, it's just not as good as it used to be

Put "British" in front of that and you are correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Football is fine. This weekend was fun. But.....
    If our WC drive ends with the leave of a Bolton Man who doesnt play then what's the point anyway? At 22, if he was worth anything he would be in the fold already. All you people talking up JO are the same ones who were talking up Paul McShane 18 months ago......... and Stokes......No offense but all I heard was Stokes this and that.....And Jamie McCarthy now. In a year it will be someone else......
    Joey OBrien. Good Lord. If he wants to leave so be it. If he is 22 and too immature to earn his spot on the side so be it. If they need him he will come back in 5 years or whatever and we will be talking up someone else who ultimately wont work out b/c we will be talking up someone else!! (Who probably isnt born yet!)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    How did letting the likes of Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge etc play for the country of their family make a laughing stock of International football....
    Its more than the granny rule tbh.

Qatar have something like 4 South Americans playing for them and a few Africans who have no family connections with them,Japan have one(Alex).Spain have Senna.

Stephen Reid played for England,didn't get picked for a bit then decided well ill play for Ireland,IMO players like that should not be allowed to just switch.

Another reason you highlighted above,Jack Charlton gave leaflets to certain Irish players and asked them to stick it on the back of the dressing room door.

It went along the lines of"do you have an Irish granny,would you like to play for Ireland"that is how he found a couple of players.

Just a few reasons of why it has become a joke.
    Last edited by Bohemian1890; 27/10/2008 at 12:59 AM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast