Page 231 of 258 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233241 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Someone tweet him asking how Holland got on in the Euros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Koeman has now tweeted a sarcastic response to O'Neill's claim that McCarthy "returned to Everton [post-Euros] after a very short break, but only 11 days later, he played his first of three games, all within an eight-day period, against Real Betis, Manchester United and Espanyol":
    The France game was on the 26th June, Real Betis game was 30th July. McCarthy played an hour in that game before being replaced. He then played 66 minutes in Wayne Rooney's testimonial and was only introduced as a sub in the 63rd minute of the game against Espanyol.

What is O'Neill actually saying? That he played for Everton eleven days after the France game or that he played for Everton eleven days after returning to the club post Euros? I presume the latter.

He seems to be clutching at straws a bit (at best, or just completely wrong) even if I kind of enjoyed the overall sentiment of his statement.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The France game was on the 26th June, Real Betis game was 30th July. McCarthy played an hour in that game before being replaced. He then played 66 minutes in Wayne Rooney's testimonial and was only introduced as a sub in the 63rd minute of the game against Espanyol.

What is O'Neill actually saying? That he played for Everton eleven days after the France game or that he played for Everton eleven days after returning to the club post Euros? I presume the latter.

He seems to be clutching at straws a bit (at best, or just completely wrong) even if I kind of enjoyed the overall sentiment of his statement.
    Maybe so, although I think Koeman is making a meal of this too in order to deflect from possible culpability on Everton's side for what is an ongoing, long-term medical problem. If you took Koeman's words as gospel, you'd nearly be inclined to think that James McCarthy had actually played a game for Ireland whilst injured. Crucially, McCarthy didn't play at all and, according to O'Neill, it was the Irish management (or medical team) who had stepped in to make the (albeit late) decision not to play him. As was reported in the Irish Examiner: "McCarthy thought he might still be able to play in the [Wales] game [even after overstretching himself in the pre-match warm-up] but, at that point [just before kick-off], the decision was taken to withdraw him from the side."

It's clear that our management tried to push things to the brink in spite of medical advice (and it didn't eventually work out), so there may well be room for criticism and a portion of blame there, but I would also have thought that taking the decision to withdraw McCarthy from the Wales game on the player's behalf, when the player was still saying he'd be able to play and even if it was close to kick-off, is surely the very definition of stepping in to protect the player from himself, no? So, the Irish management weren't totally reckless or negligent with regard to McCarthy's problem. Koeman would nearly have you believe that they had been.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Does either of these two Genius's (Foeman [Koeman..spell checker..] and O ' Neill ) have any idea how to get McCarthy fit long term...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Koeman was asked about the "feud" by Sky Sports after the derby today and took the opportunity to have another swipe at O'Neill. He was asked had it been a distraction or hindrance to Everton's preparations and he responded as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Koeman
    No, of course not. My first job is preparing the team and if I see something really unfair and really badly informed... it’s about laughing. My answer was James McCarthy got three and a half weeks of holidays and not 11 days, so if you react, please at least be well informed about the whole question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    McCarthy might not play again this season, so I guess he's a pretty big doubt for the Austria game at this point.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...ether-12920245

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Koeman
    He is still working seperate of the group.

I don't know. I don't know. There are four weeks to go and I don't know if he will be at a good level physically to play- we will wait.

It's not the first time he's been out. We need to see how he's recovering and at what time he'll be available I don't know.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    McCarthy might not play again this season, so I guess he's a pretty big doubt for the Austria game at this point.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...ether-12920245
    He is a hard man to get fit . Has he tried Go- Karting...

More seriously . It would be great for James and for us if he could get his fitness issues sorted out......

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He's been playing senior football regularly since he was 18, is it really that surprising he's starting to suffer injury problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He's been playing senior football regularly since he was 18, is it really that surprising he's starting to suffer injury problems?
    And its so much more demanding than it used to be. They're lifting weights way too young, etc. I wonder if the whole nutrition/weight training/cardio thing just makes you more susceptible to injury over time.
    Tiger Woods for example. The more Tupac-like ripped he became the more he was hurt. I know James doesn't have that body type necessarily but it's a constant cycle of weight training, games, practice etc...
    Look at Major League Baseball. The Yankees best prospect just went under the knife yesterday. 4/5 of the Mets rotation has already had Tommy John Surgery. It's because there is no stop to it. There's no offseason. They are constantly training. The "healthier" they get.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Think it might even be since before 18... like a Ginger Jason Dozzell!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He broke into the Hamilton team when he'd just turned 16, a decade ago.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    dr_peepee's first post in 4 months and he comes up with that! I love it.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Plenty of cover so won't be missed imo.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Don't know about that, not that much cover really. Meyler is more or less ruled out and Arter will probably be off paintball shooting or something.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    And its so much more demanding than it used to be. They're lifting weights way too young, etc. I wonder if the whole nutrition/weight training/cardio thing just makes you more susceptible to injury over time.
    Tiger Woods for example. The more Tupac-like ripped he became the more he was hurt. I know James doesn't have that body type necessarily but it's a constant cycle of weight training, games, practice etc...
    Look at Major League Baseball. The Yankees best prospect just went under the knife yesterday. 4/5 of the Mets rotation has already had Tommy John Surgery. It's because there is no stop to it. There's no offseason. They are constantly training. The "healthier" they get.
    I think there could be something in that regarding weight training, it is a bit unnatural in that it exercises separate groups of muslces
    in a a very controlled manner unlike "normal" exercise such as playing a game where all your muscles are to a certain extent working
    together. I think if your muscles are not in balance you will be more prone to injury as you will be able to exert an unnnatural amount of force
    in areas that are not used to it.

Having said that James seems more prone to injury than others, serious training from a young age may play a part in it
    as that is when your body/muscles are developing.

Staying away from the weights and just playing football is probably the best way to avoid injury.

Mind you having said that I have no idea how he trains, if at all seems to spend most of his time injured lol.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Don't know about that, not that much cover really. Meyler is more or less ruled out and Arter will probably be off paintball shooting or something.
    Knock it off with the comments will ya. Let's hope the man himself doesn't go online and read this message board.
    He would have a right to be really ****ed off.
    There is simply no evidence to suggest that he is anything other than committed to us.
    He would have taken a bit of stick I'm sure from one or two people (remember Kevin Kilbane) when he made the initial decision to play for us.
    Now you're going to mock him. He has a lot to offer, and all he needs is a clean run of games for club and country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Whoosh!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Sorry Mark, you're right, my bad. And sincerest apologies Harry, if you're reading old pal.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I'm blaming TOWK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Likely to miss rest of season after exacerbating previous injury while on Ireland duty.

https://ninetyminutesonline.com/ever...eman-confirms/
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 29/04/2017 at 7:26 PM.