Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v. Wales - Friday, 24th March 2017 - World Cup 2018 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Kelly? Injured?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Kelly? Injured?
    Hamstring injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Yes. McCarthy's attitude is a refreshing contrast to that of Arter's.
    Maybe you should remind yourself that you used question McCarthy's commitment in an identical way as little as two or three years ago. Now you're using him as a shining example that others should aspire to emulate. Brilliant stuff!

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    "I would imagine Glenn Whelan playing the role which closes any gaps for Bale. The players around him will provide him simple information to keep an eye on him, and the back four will be communicating 'left shoulder, right shoulder' whenever Bale moves. Whelan's spatial awareness will be vital to keep Wales and Bale away from our goal."

Intersting from Hunt, when a fellow player comes out with that, you have to take note really. Perhaps I've just completely misunderstood Whelan all these years.

It sounded like Skstu was questioning in the sense, who is kelly, not so much was he injured
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Substitute Gibson for Hourihane or O'Kane and you've got quite a good looking attack (biggest fear is that Whelan will be included in the starting 11 - guaranteed not to win if that's the case).
    Also a pity Liam Kelly doesn't have a year or two more under his belt. He's just the type of player we need in this team.
    I've never really rated Gibson, not that hot. Especially when he lost his hair.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Dan McDonnell tweeting in the last few minutes:

"Arter, Elliot, McShane, Clark, Kelly & McGoldrick out of Wales game.

Pilkington, Gleeson, Gibson, Rooney, Doherty cut"
    Based on the above, Rooney and Pilkington will be calling time on their international careers with McGoldrick not far behind. They may not be saying it publicly but they surely will be thinking it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    "I would imagine Glenn Whelan playing the role which closes any gaps for Bale. The players around him will provide him simple information to keep an eye on him, and the back four will be communicating 'left shoulder, right shoulder' whenever Bale moves. Whelan's spatial awareness will be vital to keep Wales and Bale away from our goal."

Intersting from Hunt, when a fellow player comes out with that, you have to take note really. Perhaps I've just completely misunderstood Whelan all these years.

It sounded like Skstu was questioning in the sense, who is kelly, not so much was he injured
    Whelan will be closing gaps for Bale? And his spatial awareness will be vital?
    I will take my hat off to you sir if I am wrong and you're right (I sincerely hope you are) but if we're depending on Whelan in this game then I fear the worst.
    Would love to see Hourihane get the nod for his mobility and bite alone.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    What do people think.. will Hourihane or Horgan (less likely, both) get their first cap Friday? I wouldn't bet against them getting a run but things are tight. I can see McGeady 10, with McClean to his left and Walters to his right and Long in front of him. That leaves Murphy to come in for Long or Walters and Hoolahan (fitness depending) coming in for McGeady. After that, I'm not sure if MON trusts Hourihane to play at the base of midfield. The management inferred as much after watching him earlier in the season. But Horgan could provide a real spark if we need another attacking option instead or as well as Murphy off the bench.

That's based on my predicted team. I'm going with the following
    Randolph
    Coleman Keogh O'Shea Ward
    McCarthy Whelan
    Walters McGeady McClean
    Long

I think fitness doubts will render Wes an option from the bench. Slightly worried about the lack of pace at the back too but such are our options without Duffy and Clark.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Basing my assertion on Hourihane on this which may be dated if he's progressed since: http://www.the42.ie/hourihane-keane-...06343-Jan2017/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I've a feeling that McGeady will get the nod at number 10 if Hoolahan is out. Always a surprise call from Mon and that would suit given how he is playing for Preston at the minute. That way he could still play walters and McClean as well.

Mark, thats what Hunt said, not me.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't think that would be a surprise call at all if Hoolahan is out. Anything other than that would be a bigger surprise in the circumstances.

I think Olé is probably pretty close with his starting XI above, except Hendrick will start without question.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport...eland-12767462

Daryl Murphy set to withdraw with an ankle injury according to this but it also says he's been looked at by the IFA medics so I wouldn't be too sure of it's veracity.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    MON confirms that Wes has a thigh injury and he will be our for a 'number' of weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    ...but it also says he's been looked at by the IFA medics...
    Hands off our boys!

The FAI have tweeted:

Quote Originally Posted by FAI
    Martin O'Neill: Daryl Murphy is giving himself a chance. He's not ruled out yet. We'll see what happens with the scan.
    And eirSport have tweeted:

Quote Originally Posted by eirSport
    MON on Daryl Murphy: He's certainly not ruling himself out. We'll see what it says on the scan. It'll be great if he can make it.
    Meanwhile, BBC Wales Sport are saying that Coleman is carrying a knock:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Wales Sport
    Republic of Ireland captain Seamus Coleman, striker Daryl Murphy and midfielder James McCarthy are all having injuries assessed.
    eirSport reassure that it is simply a case of Coleman not training today and that he should be OK for Friday:

Quote Originally Posted by eirSport
    Seamus & Jonny Hayes didn't train today but they should be ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Based on the above, Rooney and Pilkington will be calling time on their international careers with McGoldrick not far behind. They may not be saying it publicly but they surely will be thinking it.
    I'm not sure you could really say Rooney has a senior international career to date, but plenty of players have had to patiently bide their time over the years before getting their breaks. Nothing new here, so there's no need for anyone to be thinking of retirement in a huff. These guys are professionals and they'll know that nobody is entitled to senior caps. They have to be earned.

Are you suggesting Rooney, Pilkington and McGoldrick have reason to feel aggrieved? If so, you must feel they should be in the squad in place of other players? Who do you feel should have missed out at their expense?

Ultimately, somebody has to be cut when you've got a 23 or 28-man limit and it's no surprise that it'll continually be the more peripheral players. You can't just select them in final squads for the sake of it or simply to keep them happy. You have to select your best players, or those who will provide the greatest utility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    McGoldrick is injured

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This is the latest in terms of who's still in the squad and who's doubtful, as far as I can make out:

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle.

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (missed training today but should be OK), Cyrus Christie, Richard Keogh, Alex Pearce, John O'Shea, Andy Boyle, John Egan, Stephen Ward.

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Glenn Whelan, James McCarthy (doubtful; having injury assessed), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (suspended for Friday), Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Eunan O'Kane, James McClean, Jonathan Hayes (missed training today but should be OK), Daryl Horgan, Callum O'Dowda.

Forwards: Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy (doubtful; having injury assessed), Kevin Doyle.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Maybe you should remind yourself that you used question McCarthy's commitment in an identical way as little as two or three years ago. Now you're using him as a shining example that others should aspire to emulate. Brilliant stuff!
    McCarthy has been carrying a significant injury for over a week and is still a heavy doubt but has travelled to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI and remain with the squad. Arter, to my knowledge, failed a late fitness test to feature against Swansea at the weekend.

Brady is suspended for the Wales game but has remained with the squad with a view to featuring against Iceland.

It's not good enough IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    McCarthy has been carrying a significant injury for over a week and is still a heavy doubt but has travelled to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI and remain with the squad.
    I know. I never questioned McCarthy's commitment... ever... that was all you. Yet these days you're using his dedication as a stick to beat another player with. A fairly dramatic u-turn, no?

Arter, to my knowledge, failed a late fitness test to feature against Swansea at the weekend.

Brady is suspended for the Wales game but has remained with the squad with a view to featuring against Iceland.

It's not good enough IMO.
    It's not good enough that a fit player has travelled with the squad and an unfit player hasn't? Okay.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I know. I never questioned McCarthy's commitment... ever... that was all you. Yet these days you're using his dedication as a stick to beat another player with. A fairly dramatic u-turn, no?

It's not good enough that a fit player has travelled with the squad and an unfit player hasn't? Okay.
    If you're going to keep babbling about something I allegedly said about McCarthy a few months/years ago because you have nothing else to defend Arter with than you can at least be a gentleman and provide a link to what I allegedly said.

Robbie Brady is a first team player. He didn't have to travel to Dublin for a meaningless friendly we are likely to experiment with other options in. He could have taken a rain check on the Wales game and linked up with the squad at a later date with a view to featuring in the Iceland game.

His commitment and dedication is impressive, so is McCarthy's.

Arter could have shown a bit more.

IMO.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast