Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Martinez will no doubt all in his power to ensure james is not available

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Let's face it. If it was an Everton game on Friday he would probably be available but we're going to have to plan without him on Friday. It was a formality that Martinez would start this carry on anyway.

Let the FAI decide if he can play.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Is there really a conspiracy with Martinez or is it a running joke on here? Does he have a record of holding back players from international duty? Bit confused!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's a running joke amongst the sane, less so amongst the insane.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Oh. I must have been imagining Mark Hughes giving Glenn Whelan permission to link up with the Ireland squad despite not having trained with his club since his injury, Coleman & McCarthy starting days after they missed the Germany game having not been sent for assessment by the FAI and Martinez taking a, frankly, bizarre stance during the time period when McCarthy "was considering his Intl. future". To these eyes and ears it looked more like Martinez was asking him to consider it. Compare Mark Hughes actions with Martinez's.

Maybe I am insane or paranoid but give people enough ammunition and all that.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 09/11/2014 at 4:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's been a running joke since long before your time TOWKy boy. Check out the Jimmy Mac thread from before he finally mad his début for us. Madness.

Admittedly there's enough ammunition to show there's enough basis for your concern. And to be honest since the maddening stance back in the day about James I have never warmed to Martinez despite all the good he did with Wigan and subsequently Everton. That I have a huge soft spot for Everton has somewhat alleviated any full-blown resentment towards him.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Coleman & McCarthy starting days after they missed the Germany game having not been sent for assessment by the FAI
    But why conveniently ignore the fact that McCarthy and Coleman did miss Everton's two games which preceded our internationals, one of which was at Old Trafford? There were clearly injuries there. Martinez is employed by Everton, obviously he's going to advise or insist that they don't play if it could cause further damage. And to be honest, if McCarthy, Coleman or whoever aren't men enough to insist on playing, if fit, then you'd have to question their commitment full stop, which I don't for one second.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/11/2014 at 4:14 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Martinez has a Scottish wife..... or is it a Scot wife? a wife who is a Scot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    McCarthy missed that game primarily because of fatigue (fatigued quad). Coleman's injury was minor. There is no reason why they shouldn't have been at least assessed by the FAI medical team. I don't think there was enough honesty on Martinez side as to the extent of their injuries. I believe MON has hinted at this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's up to the FAI, I presume, to insist on getting them checked. How is it Martinez's fault if they don't? Listen TOWK, you're making a lot of assumptions. The injuries may have been minor, but there may also have been a chance of aggravating the injuries. You're only speculating, guessing and assuming but basing it on very little. The injuries can't have been that minor if Martinez wasn't willing to risk two of his most important players for a crucial game at OT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    There is no speculation about the injuries being minor. They were. Did McCarthy technically even have an injury? They could have been aggravated but they were not serious enough to definitively rule them out of the Germany game so they should have been sent for assessment. That's partly the fault of the FAI's but you can be forgiven for thinking that Martinez wanted to use the International break to extend their rest period. And rotation is used by top EL teams - Liverpool just rested half their first team against Madrid. Maybe Martinez, again, just used the International break for Everton's benefit but the players have a duty to play for their country if they are able. Maybe maybe maybe. What do you think of MON's comments? Presumably he would have a better idea on Everton's transparency than we do.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's up to the FAI, I presume, to insist on getting them checked. How is it Martinez's fault if they don't? Listen TOWK, you're making a lot of assumptions. The injuries may have been minor, but there may also have been a chance of aggravating the injuries. You're only speculating, guessing and assuming but basing it on very little. The injuries can't have been that minor if Martinez wasn't willing to risk two of his most important players for a crucial game at OT.

Im hearing Martinez himself hopes to Line out against us for Scotland!!!!

Some serious amount of nonsense about Martinez been posted on here
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What do you think of MON's comments? Presumably he would have a better idea on Everton's transparency than we do.
    I thought MON sounded slightly suspicious but willing to give the benefit of the doubt. What do you think of Coleman and McCarthy missing important games for Everton before the internationals? You can't honestly put it down to squad rotation when they've been ever present otherwise.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/11/2014 at 4:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    There is no speculation about the injuries being minor. They were. Did McCarthy technically even have an injury? They could have been aggravated but they were not serious enough to definitively rule them out of the Germany game so they should have been sent for assessment. That's partly the fault of the FAI's but you can be forgiven for thinking that Martinez wanted to use the International break to extend their rest period. And rotation is used by top EL teams - Liverpool just rested half their first team against Madrid. Maybe Martinez, again, just used the International break for Everton's benefit but the players have a duty to play for their country if they are able. Maybe maybe maybe. What do you think of MON's comments? Presumably he would have a better idea on Everton's transparency than we do.
    What does that even mean? Either he's injured (which he was) or he isn't, what would qualify an injury, or lack thereof, as a "technical" injury?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Im hearing Martinez himself hopes to Line out against us for Scotland!!!!

Some serious amount of nonsense about Martinez been posted on here
    In fairness, most of the Martinez stuff is tongue in cheek. Obviously if anyone was at fault(which is debatable) it would have been up to our Manager to Manage the situation. Club managers influence can be largely circumvented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    What does that even mean? Either he's injured (which he was) or he isn't, what would qualify an injury, or lack thereof, as a "technical" injury?

Seemingly anything that doesn't back up TOWK's world view.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Uh oh...
    I hope I didn't jinx it!

Let's face it. If it was an Everton game on Friday he would probably be available but we're going to have to plan without him on Friday. It was a formality that Martinez would start this carry on anyway.

Let the FAI decide if he can play.
    But nobody's stopping the FAI from deciding. The FAI are fully entitled to call James over for examination if there is an injury concern there. Why are you trying to foist responsibility for this onto Martinez? If he's bull****ting, the FAI doctor will call him up on it. Ergo, I don't think he's bull****ting because I don't think it would be worth his while to do so.

Coleman & McCarthy starting days after they missed the Germany game having not been sent for assessment by the FAI
    They both missed games for Everton due to the problems. And it's the fault of the FAI if the association didn't enforce their right to call them over.

...Martinez taking a, frankly, bizarre stance during the time period when McCarthy "was considering his Intl. future". To these eyes and ears it looked more like Martinez was asking him to consider it.
    What was the "bizarre stance" exactly and what gave you the impression that Martinez was trying to place pressure upon James? Did he express a stance at all? If indeed he was trying to pressure James (and I don't think he was), for someone who bears such influence over the lad, it clearly didn't work.

Maybe I am insane or paranoid but give people enough ammunition and all that.
    But it's still paranoia.

There is no speculation about the injuries being minor. They were. Did McCarthy technically even have an injury? They could have been aggravated but they were not serious enough to definitively rule them out of the Germany game so they should have been sent for assessment.
    It's not up to Everton to send them. It's up to the FAI to call them over. There were clearly problems there. They missed crucial games due to the injuries/fatigue. How can you dismiss the veracity of the claims so nonchalantly when Martinez kept them out of his own squads? Grand deception, was it?...

That's partly the fault of the FAI's but you can be forgiven for thinking that Martinez wanted to use the International break to extend their rest period.
    I'm sure he would, but so what? That's his job. He's a football manager and his professional duty is to protect the interests of the football team he is managing and the interests of that team only. If those interests happen to clash with the interests of the FAI, it's up to the FAI to stand their ground. Martinez's wishes are irrelevant really. I don't know why you're making such an issue about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Don't you know, it's like how Kevin Grealish made his son available for our US friendly, but not technically...

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Don't you know, it's like how Kevin Grealish made his son available for our US friendly, but not technically...
    Give it a rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Give it a rest.
    Give the same old sophistry a rest.