Why thank you.

Would you believe I left it behind?

Fortunately, I have a spare.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    On the game - what an awful, awful game. Don't know what happened. Nice to know Sligo are as bad as us. Will do a report when I remember anything that happened. Crowd of 525, which is the highest official or counted crowd I have for this fixture (which goes back to the First Division games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Definitely our sloppiest performance of the season. We really need to be getting 3 points at home against our fellow relegation rivals to secure safety.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Ugh, that wasn't a pleasant debut at the Bowl. Goes without saying that neither side offered anything going forward - were there more than three shots on target all game? Hopefully Byrne would have made a difference for us.

Gregg badly needs to get that leg of his straightened but he did earn us a point with his tip over from Moore's chip and by saving brilliantly as Kudozovic (?) tried to go around him following Shortall's error.

Speaking of whom, I thought he looked a little ropey throughout the whole game. Hopefully with a run of matches, his confidence will improve and he can re-establish his previous strong partnership with Kenna.

Finn is gamey and put himself about, and at least he showed some endeavour with some bursts forward, not that the ball ever reached him. I feel he doesn't boss games like he did when he first emerged, but maybe it was just an off day.

Padge really ought to have put that chance away, obviously. I got the impression he put it in the one spot where Brush had a chance to keep it out. Smashing play by King to set him up though, served that fullback up like a kipper, showed a great turn of pace, and then picked out a great pass at the end of his run.

The front two were completely toothless.

I know Sligo were missing players but judging onthat performance, they're going nowhere fast. Boco had some nice touches but didn't get involved much; Kudozovic seemed to have a bit of class about him, and there was a bit of pace on the wing, but that was about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    718 Posts
    King had a great game, and I thought Gallagher did well at left back, but that was it really. The conditions didn't help, but still... At least we looked livelier after the substitutions, regardless of what Dmanetc thinks of Pete's tactical ability!

I'm looking forward to Doyler being fit again - Podge is wasted on the wing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Will do a report when I remember anything that happened.
    In the meantime, here's RTE's report complete with a photo of Matt Gregg doing an excellent Darren Quigley impression. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/...igorovers.html
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Good report actually.

Didn't realise Bolger was on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Following a five goal thriller on the UCD Bowl's debut three weeks ago, last night's game against Sligo saw the other end of the spectrum with what can only be described as a turgid game played in a stiff breeze, freezing cold and occasional swirling rain.

How the Students cope when hit by a few injuries and suspensions is going to be a key factor in determining how successful or otherwise this season will be, and last night, missing Ian Bermingham, Paul Byrne and the still-injured Derek Doyle, they struggled to get any rhythm into their play. The two consolations from last night's game are a point in the bag and the fact that, on last night's showing at least, Sligo won't be too far from the drop come the season's end either.

Killian Gallagher and Darren Forsyth were brought in to replace the injured Bermingham and the suspended Byrne, with John Reilly, Pat Mullins and Greg Bolger making their first appearances on a decidedly lightweight bench. UCD started reasonably, however, and on 13 minutes, Alan McNally headed narrowly wide from Brian King's cross, while two minutes later came the best chance of the match - Darren Forsyth beat his marker all ends up on the half way line to find acres of room; he made it to the edge of the box before pulling back a low cross for Pat McWalter, whose shot from 20 yards was straight at Richard Brush in the Sligo net; he could only parry, but his defence finished clearing the danger.

However, even by this early stage, the game was already being defined as one where first touch was poor, passes went astray and players seemed unassured as to what the ball would do on the bobbly pitch. Sligo were winning the possession battle, but still found it hard to hold onto the ball to create any clear cut chances. Matt Gregg dealt comfortably with a couple of hopeful shots from outside the area, while on 38 minutes, former Student Anto Murphy was gifted space inside the area, but Gregg saved well with his feet.

Sligo continued to press into the second half, but Matt Gregg wasn't really tested until twenty minutes to go, when Brian Shortall left his back header short under pressure from Benin international Ramuald Boco, but the UCD keeper was out quickly to make a superb save as Boco tried to go around him. Ten minutes from time, Gregg was called on again to tip over Alan Moore's 25-yard lob.

Again, however, it was arguably UCD who had the best chance of the half - Timmy Purcell's header was only half cleared, Alan McNally's drive from the edge of the box was blocked and Conor Kenna's shot on the turn was well over from less than ten yards out.

UCD looked more lively after the introduction on the hour of Shane Fitzgerald for the largely ineffective Darren Forsyth, but if ever there was a game where neither side deserved a point, this was it. As it is, the draw sees UCD move ahead of Drogheda and, until they play tonight at least, Cork and into the top half of the table.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Gallagher, Kenna, Shortall; McNally, King, Finn, McWalter; Purcell, Forsyth (Fitzgerald 60). Subs not used - Brennan, Bolger, Reilly, Mullins.

Att - 525

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why thank you.

Would you believe I left it behind?
    Thats a shame
    RIP JOHNNY

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123