Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should John Delaney be fired?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

111 90.24%
  • No

12 9.76%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Discussion thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Or give proff that Kerr lost the dressing room. or give reasons why he should be sacked for that rather than kick the players responsible out...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    We haven't had a better CEO.

Fran Rooney got a friendly with Brazil. Come back to me when Delaney's combined achievements equal that.

Did you forget to log out and let someone else type for you...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wasn't it Rooney that sorted out the EL section at Lansdowne? I thought he was an excellent Chief Exec at the time but I wouldn't know as much as others about his "achievements".

Right, off to the game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    It was, indeed.

Oh, and Delaney out. Still.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Machiavellian scheming to rise to the top aside, has his administrative record in the FAI not been half-decent? Surely merging the Eircom League and the FAI is a good thing? The second Genesis report did indicate that the main points of the first report were being implemented. The FAI is making more money than it ever did. It has a stake in Lansdowne Road for the first time. These are concrete achievements, right?

Having said that, his disposal of Rooney was absolutely shameful - there was a bloke who could have run the organisation like a business - and in the event of another coup in the FAI, no one will cry for Delaney, but has he not done a decent job so far, other than the Stan appointment? And I don't call for heads hastily - Stan's team may yet turn around, who the hell knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonegalDub View Post
    Does anyone know who would replace Delaney if he did do the honourable thing?
    Kevin Moran. Ex-Pro. Ex-Legend. Ex-LSL Intermediate player. Runs a successful sports management company so would be ideally placed to deal with the business side of the organisation.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Has anyone sent an email to Delaney? Does it need to go FAO: to a 'generic' address?

I suppose I could find out, but if anyone's done it already please let us know.

Cheers,

Ramondo.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81 View Post
    The second Genesis report did indicate that the main points of the first report were being implemented.
    For starters, after getting the second lucrative contract they're hardly going to bash the people that continue to employ them. That's if you consider the second report credible, considering some of their research involved taking "data" from foot.ie threads and their suggestions included such innovations as calling the new premier division "The Premiership".

The stake in Lansdowne and the increased money making a result of Rooney I would've said - he was the CEO when all that was done. Lest we forget, it was the increased commercial activity that Delaney used to make his push on Rooney in the first place.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The story ..Plenty of reading...Genesis ..

I think Delaney has done a good job in running the F.A.I. and apart from one appalling lack of judgement (Stan) will ocntinue to do so. We haven't had a better CEO.
    Maybe he got a good sponsorship deal, but then again maybe a better CEO would have got a better deal
    After promising to implement the Genesis report, if he did not, he would be out the door. It looks like he has added a few more mortice locks to the door & has a few mates as calvery just in case things get tough.
    Pressure should be on him now to publish & implement the Genesis report. O'Donoghue said he would not give more money until the the Genesis report was being addressed.
    21/10/04
    Efforts by the FAI President Milo Corcoran to persuade Mr O'Donoghue to provide flexibility in appointing a temporary chief executive will cut little ice with the Government.
    While there is strong speculation within the FAI that John Delaney, the honorary treasurer, could be persuaded to take the post for 18 months to restore stability, this was not acceptable to the Government.
    It is understood that the Government is resolute in its support for Mr O'Donoghue's demand that both the new Chief Executive post and the crucial Financial Director post, recommended by the Genesis Report, be advertised publicly before the end of this year..... Mr Rooney said last night that he was hired by the FAI to implement Genesis in full and remained totally committed to that process. He confirmed he has encountered difficulties in recent weeks.
    He supports advertising the posts externally to ensure the association attracts the best possible candidates and pointed out that existing staff would be entitled to apply.
    Mr Rooney said he will urge his fellow board members to maintain the focus on implementing the Genesis report and seeing through the reforms they have begun.Last night, a Government spokeswoman said the government's position was very clear and that Sports Minister John O'Donoghue had publicly stated it was fully supportive of the complete implementation of the Genesis report.
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=11568

6/11/04
    Sports Minister John O'Donoghue publicly questioned how the FAI board could seek taxpayers' funds for soccer while at the same time they were repeatedly depleting their resources in expensive settlements - having lost three chief executives in four years....... Efforts by the FAI President Milo Corcoran to persuade Mr O'Donoghue to provide flexibility in appointing a temporary chief executive will cut little ice with the Government.
    While there is strong speculation within the FAI that John Delaney, the honorary treasurer, could be persuaded to take the post for 18 months to restore stability, this was not acceptable to the Government.(Strong government.... )
    It is understood that the Government is resolute (Dont make me laugh...)in its support for Mr O'Donoghue's demand that both the new Chief Executive post and the crucial Financial Director post, recommended by the Genesis Report, be advertised publicly before the end of this year.
    After all of this HOW DID he get the job ????
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=11661
    7/11/06
    Earlier in the week the FAI stated that it did not want to advertise for the posts of replacement chief executive and financial controller.
    Mr O'Donoghue said: "The Genesis report . suggested that the way forward was for the FAI to appoint a chief executive and also to appoint four directors including a financial controller, a director of performance, a football operations director and a communications director. Unfortunately in the interim very little of the Genesis report was implemented."
    The Minister finished the interview by saying: "It's time for the FAI to grow up."
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/1107/fai.html
    12/11/06
    The Minister for Sport, John O'Donoghue, has described as 'discouraging' comments by the FAI President on the appointment of a Chief Executive and Financial Controller to the Association.
    Speaking on RTÉ Radio, Mr O'Donoghue said Government funding of the FAI remains in doubt unless the FAI advertises the two positions and fills them before the New Year.
    Yesterday, the FAI offered the Association's Honorary Treasurer, John Delaney, the post of Chief Executive on an interim basis.
    Milo Corcoran said that it was not in the association's plans to advertise the post before 1 January as requested by the Government and gave no indication of the length of Mr Delaney's appointment, should he choose to accept it.
    Recommendations on the appointments were included in the Genesis Report which was carried out in the wake of Ireland's troubled World Cup campaign in an attempt to make the FAI more efficient and professional.
    Mr O'Donoghue said there was no point in meeting the FAI because its officers were aware of what is required of them.He also said he did not understand why the FAI was not mature enough to implement the recommendations of the Genesis Report when it has accepted those recommendations.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1112/fai.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...sh/4007903.stm
    27/11/04 http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer...y517652305.asp
    "The spirit of the Genesis report must be adhered to," he added.
    1/12/04 http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie...412010014.html
    Some archive stuff.. http://foot.ie/archive/index.php/t-19413.html
    Government u turn begins..
    6/1/05 http://www.aertel.ie/sport/2005/0106/fai.html
    4/2/05 http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story.asp?j=16931 - Waterford news paper supporting a waterford man, a good balance piece of journalism..
    11/3/05 http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/in...ca=94&si=69595
    23/6/05 http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/pre...c-d8531a261dba
    18/10/05 http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer...671313155.html
    This has the
    I want a manager that will bring us success, that's the bottom end of it. We're looking for a top class manager to bring us forward. It's a high profile job, a good job and we are confident of getting that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It was, indeed.
    Amazing how short peoples memories are
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    For starters, after getting the second lucrative contract they're hardly going to bash the people that continue to employ them. That's if you consider the second report credible, considering some of their research involved taking "data" from foot.ie threads and their suggestions included such innovations as calling the new premier division "The Premiership".

The stake in Lansdowne and the increased money making a result of Rooney I would've said - he was the CEO when all that was done. Lest we forget, it was the increased commercial activity that Delaney used to make his push on Rooney in the first place.
    Fair point about Genesis, although I thought they were considered to be a respectable bunch. The first report was quite clear, right?

The Lansdowne Road stake was not the work of Rooney, as far as I remember. The formation of the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company was during Delaney's tenure, no? It was probably coming for a long time so I'm sure Rooney had input into it while he was there but Delaney saw it through, as far as I remember.

I've no agenda here whatsoever and won't cry if Delaney gets axed. But I think his administrative record deserves a cold eye thrown over it before calling for his resignation. It's difficult to associate an FAI CEO with anything other than incompetence, selfishness and stupidity. And he didn't do himself any favours by engineering a move against the first CEO the organisation ever had who had significant business experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been reading over the threads and its amazing how quickly the feelings turn from "get the man out!" to "mmmm, well he isn't doing a bad job at it all!"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Kevin Moran. Ex-Pro. Ex-Legend. Ex-LSL Intermediate player(Pegasus). Runs a successful sports management company so would be ideally placed to deal with the business side of the organisation.
    ex League of Ireland B Player ( UCD) ex League of Ireland player ( 4 League apperances for Bohemians) B Comm Degree (UCD). Great suggestion Kingdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    ex League of Ireland B Player ( UCD) ex League of Ireland player ( 4 League apperances for Bohemians) B Comm Degree (UCD). Great suggestion Kingdom
    Why would Kevin Moran, or indeed anyone, want to take up the post of CEO at the FAI and have to face moronic comments from the media and 'so called' fans, as evidenced on forums like this.

It is very rare in any business that a CEO gets every decision right. Football is a unique business and it would be rare to have a CEO (or club chairman) who can keep everyone happy all the time.

Whatever else about him, there is no doubt that John Delaney is leading the FAI to becoming a professional organisation. He has surrounded himself with good people and is well liked and respected by the employees of the FAI, all of whom now have proper contracts of employment, job descriptions and clear reporting lines, something that was never in place before when the 'amateurs' were in charge.

Delaney has also put the FAI on a more sound financial footing and has been instrumental in securing significant sponsorships. For the first time under Delaney's leadership, the FAI has credible recognition within the goverment and it is no coincidence that the since he became CEO, the FAI has secured record government funding for football in Ireland.

He is the driving force behind the FAI Development Plan whose main focus is promoting football throughout the country.

Communications have improved and while there is still work to be done on the website, the information is generally fairly up to date. There have been several initiatives to improve communications like the launch of the FAI News. It is also evident that there is regular dialogue with supporters organisations, London RISSC and NLSA having been featured in recent match programmes. Is it just coincidence that these initiatives have emerged during Delaney's tenure, I don't think so!

Before anyone asks, I do not work for the FAI, I am not Delaney's PRO, but I believe it is all too easy to criticise and deliver abuse, without considering the facts.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Superhoop, there are so many holes on your statment above I almost choked reading it.

You are giving credit where it isn't due, citing facts that are patently untrue for example "the FAI has credible recognition within the goverment".

TBH, If I was handed that as a stand alone piece on paper I would seriuosly question the writers knowledge or consoder it a PR article.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Superhoop, there are so many holes on your statment above I almost choked reading it.

You are giving credit where it isn't due, citing facts that are patently untrue for example "the FAI has credible recognition within the goverment".

TBH, If I was handed that as a stand alone piece on paper I would seriuosly question the writers knowledge or consoder it a PR article.
    soccerc, we all know you are a Fran Rooney man and I have no problems with that.

It's all very well telling me there are so many holes in my post, but you don't actually challenge or refute any of them.

Regarding the 'credible recognition within the government' consider the words of Government Minister, Brian Cowen at this year's FAI eircom awards night (at which I believe you were present!)

'Through the work of the FAI, soccer has now got more registered players than any other sport in the country. Its spread is truly across every county and the level of participation among our young people is particularly important at a time when we are facing many social, health and lifestyle challenges. I applaud the Association’s work in this regard.

I applaud Packie Bonner and his Technical Development Department of more than 50 coaches and Development Officers who work with clubs and schools all around the country to promote the highest standards.

I applaud John Delaney who with his counterpart in the IRFU, Philip Browne, has done great work on moving forward, with the assistance of my colleague, John O’Donoghue and his officials, the plans for the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road. It is important that we bring this fine old stadium up to appropriate standards for today. That done – and I mean underway as opposed to it being completed – we must and will continue to work with the FAI on the redevelopment of other facilities around the country.

That sounds like credible recognition to me.

It is a long way away from the position in November 2004 when John O'Donoghue, the Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism called Milo Corcoran, Michael Cody and John Delaney to explain what was going on at the FAI following the departure of Fran Rooney. At that meeting O'Donoghue made it clear that the Government was looking to the FAI to become a dependable, effective and efficient organisation capable of accepting and discharging its responsibilities in relation to projects to which the Government has committed substantial support from public funds. He instanced the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road stadium, the development of a sports campus at Abbotstown, funding under the Sports Capital Programme for soccer clubs at national, regional and local levels and the funding provided to the Association by the Irish Sports Council.

At that meeting O'Donoghue announced he was appointing a member of his department, Con Haugh, to the Irish Sports Council's liaision commitee at which the terms of reference for the appointment of the CEO were formulated, a move which created a huge rift within the FAI Council, many of whom felt the goverment had no business getting involved in their affairs.

Two years later, under Delaney's leadership, that rift has been healed, the Minister has not had cause to call in the FAI to explain themselves, the government has continued to support the development of Lansdowne Road and the FAI's role in that development (including John Delaney's position on the board of LRSDC), they have allocated a record amount of funding to soccer projects under the Sports Capital Programme and from the Irish Sports Council.

That also sounds like credible recognition to me!
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Amazing how short peoples memories are

Apologies!!!!!!!!!

Mea culpa. I think I meant that it came into effect under Rooney's tenure and certainly had nothing to do with Delaney.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Delaney must have some good points..

under Delaney's leadership, that rift has been healed, the Minister has not had cause to call in the FAI to explain themselves,
    Superhoops, correct me if I am wrong (as I could be), but I not see John Delaney being interviewed on the steps O'Donoghue's building just prior to Wednesday's game..Then again maybe he was not called in, maybe he just to let O'Donoghue know what the scenarios were for after the Czech game.
    For all your praise of Delaney, you excluded the logic of Stan's appointment as manager..??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    John Delaney is not the ideal head of a sporting organisation. The FAI is not an ideal sporting organisation. I'd vote to keep him there as who the hell knows who or what would take over in his place? Is he a schemer? Yes. To be trusted? Nope. The best the organisation has at the moment? Unfortunately, yes.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    It is very rare in any business that a CEO gets every decision right. Football is a unique business and it would be rare to have a CEO (or club chairman) who can keep everyone happy all the time.
    !
    Before anyone asks, I do not work for the FAI, I am not Delaney's PRO, but I believe it is all too easy to criticise and deliver abuse, without considering the facts.
    Delaney's a tit
    If football is a business, then what return to you thinkt he FAI will get from missing out in the last 3 tournaments (including 2008), surely all business' demand results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast