Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone changed their minds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Anyone changed their minds?

Does anyone who thought Kerr should go after the qualifiers now think he should have been kept on?

Alex Ferguson was the first of the big names to rule himself out.
    Martin O'Neill ruled himself out yesterday.
    Troussier gets the Morroco job yesterday.
    George Burley rules himself out today.

Claudio Ranieri is apparantly interested (certainly not as good as Kerr).
    Frank Stapelton applies for the job.
    Roddy Collins comes out today "deadly serious" that he will send his CV to Merrion square if he keeps Rovers afloat.
    The top 3 Irish in Paddy Power's odds are Aldridge, Brady and Stapelton.

Depressing times and it was a rash decision that looks very costly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well my position before hand was, only let Kerr go if you're going to get someone of a significantly better calibre like O'Neill otherwise the disruption isn't worth it, not to mention the fact we could end up with worse. I wouldn't mind Ranieri. I'd be a bit disappointed if we had to go to Aldridge but would accept it. Brady, Stapleton et al I would not accept.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Ian Dowie and Steve Coppell are two guys that wouldn't scare me but they probably couldn't be tempted. Or Mark Hughes for that matter.

My inclination at this point would be O'Leary though perhaps he would be smarter and more mature in another 5 years. There aren't any other former players I think should have a snowball's chance in hell of being considered.

Of your list only MON was a possibility, the other wouldn't have been on my list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    i havent changed my mind as never thought kerr should go in the first place. i've posted elsewhere with my views but in summary we were never going to get anyone better than kerr and he should have been given another campaign at least. it will prove to be a huge mistake getting rid of kerr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I always supported Kerr, right to the end despite the hate camaign mc dermott the scúm bag started. Now we realise how few mangers want to take a team on that has been in decline for a while now.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    My view was he hadn't done a great job but were we likely to get anyone
    better, something that should have been determined before he was sacked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    No mind change here. I didn't think he should have got the boot in the first place. Would the FAI do an about face and rehire him?
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I agree with the general consensus that the FAI should have had someone that could be considered an improvement lined up before they gave Kerr the boot. However, they only knew a few days before they sacked that we wouldn't qualify for the WC, which was hardly enough time to find a replacement.
    If they had half a brain they could have said that they would chose a candidate the same way as last time ie if you want the job apply to the FAI. They could have then told Kerr they wouldn't renew his contract but he was welcome to apply to have it renewed. In the background they could have went head-hunting and if they didn't get their desired target they could accept Kerr's reapplication. The way they have done it now there's no way he can be reappointed if they can't find a decent replacement

Who knows though maybe they will surprise us all and come up with a decent alternative, however I wouldn't bet my house on that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by totalfootball
    After the qualifiers, I was 60% in favour of keeping Kerr, and 40% against. Now I am 80% in thinking that keeping Kerr would have been the right thing to do, with just 20% of me thnking we might find someone better.
    Pretty much exactly the way I feel.

Troussier reveals Eire talks
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 28/10/2005 at 5:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    They could have then told Kerr they wouldn't renew his contract but he was welcome to apply to have it renewed. In the background they could have went head-hunting and if they didn't get their desired target they could accept Kerr's reapplication.
    Why would Kerr want the job have knowing that at best he is only second choice and possibly third, fourth or fifth choice and that the only reason he was in the job was they could'nt get anyone better!

There is a real chance now that Kerr may become the best choice available, he certainly must be a better choice than Aldridge, Brady or Stapleton. If that is the case, I hope BK does not demean himself by putting his name forward and that he tells Delaney to stick his job up his ar*e.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Kerr was absolute s***e I don't believe this defeatist attitute that we would be better off in keeping a manager who guided us through our worst qualifying campaign in recent memory. We need to try someone else. We were going backwards with Kerr. He hadn't a clue how to manage at the top level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Maybe. To be frank, Kerr's conservatism bothered me. Further, for whatever reason it seemed clear to me that the team (or elements therein) did not respect him. Something had to give.

Frank Stapleton....oh no, no.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    Kerr was absolute s***e I don't believe this defeatist attitute that we would be better off in keeping a manager who guided us through our worst qualifying campaign in recent memory. We need to try someone else. We were going backwards with Kerr. He hadn't a clue how to manage at the top level.
    copied and pasted:

No worse than McCarthy's. Actually, McCarthy's were worse. He got a much easier ride than Kerr (I'm not against McCarthy btw, I'd love to see him do well). We've heard all about Macedonia, twice. 3-5-2 against Iceland with Keane as sweeper. Mark Kennedy in free role against Belgium. Forcing one of our best ever full backs (Irwin) into retirement by treating him badly. 4-5-1 away to both Yugoslavia and Croatia. I could go on, haven't even mentioned drawing at home to Lithuania.

That was all in his first two campaigns. He did superbly well in his 3rd campaign (a term which Kerr didn't get). Even still, Kerr was slated for conceding leads to draw games. McCarthy's team also lost a couple of leads in that excellent campaign. He also persisted on playing Duff up front and wouldn't drop the terrible Kilbane from the left wing.

The FAI are not going to appoint better than Kerr.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    My opinion was that reaching the playoffs were a minimum.
    The way the group worked out, that target was more than realistic.
    I put my feelings about the media frenzy and the FAI aside.
    I feel a bit conned by Kerr and now that the group is over we are expected to appreciate that he was only learning the ropes.
    Did not give me one glimpse that he knew what happened in the last 2 games. At the end of all the group´s games there was no evidence left (and little confidence) that he could put it right.
    Some may be feeling a bit lonely and insecure like after a relationship break up.
    I wish it was a different story.
    My panic has gone, now that Troussier plays his bluff elsewhere. I don´t mind the wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Kerr wasn't up to scratch and didn't have the balls to go out and win games. Either that or he had little influence over the players. Tactically inept. Best result was a 0-0 draw away to a French reserve team in crises. Wake up people

Gus Hiddink is still a possibility. Ranieiri would be a good appointment (not better than Kerr? What drugs are you on?!). There are also a few other European coaches who haven't appeared in the bookies betting. Personally I think it will be a surprise appointment. I'm hoping surprise as in Hiddink, rather than surprise as in Brady...........How about a partnership of Dave O'Leary and Roddy Collins?! Christ, could you imagine it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    Ranieiri would be a good appointment (not better than Kerr? What drugs are you on?!).
    If you think Kerr is tactically inept, Ranieri takes the biscuit. He is a terrible manager. He made some excellent buys but the average reader on this forum would also buy excellent players.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Eirebhoy I repeat. there was no evidence in this last group to suggest that Kerr had the neccessary to get it right next time. You are basing your arguement on a HOPE that he would get better as some others did. Exactly what were the good tactical/inspiring points that you liked about Kerr and in what games did you see this? Did you see where he learn't something and actually improved our position in any of the games against the big 3?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    If you think Kerr is tactically inept, Ranieri takes the biscuit. He is a terrible manager.
    Terrible? Lets look at his record:

Cagliari - won promotion
    Napoli - 4th place in Seria A and introduced Zola
    Fiorentina - Seria B champions, won Italian Cup
    Valencia - qualified for CL (and largely built the team that Cuper took to two CL finals)
    Athletico Madid - failed (but who hasn't)
    Chelsea (pre-Abramovich) - rebuilt aging team, FA cup finalists, qualified for CL
    Chelski - 2nd place in EPL and semis of CL
    Valencia - failed

... and Brian Kerr's record in professional football is .....
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    i havent changed my mind as never thought kerr should go in the first place. i've posted elsewhere with my views but in summary we were never going to get anyone better than kerr and he should have been given another campaign at least. it will prove to be a huge mistake getting rid of kerr
    Agree with every word said in that post.

As said before, i can see some useless big name w@nker getting the job.

Everyone knows, ye dont get rid of a manager unless ye have a better manager already lined up (even if it unofficially, ye just sound your man out beforehand )
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    .....I don´t mind the wait.
    For who exactly?
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast