Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wallace - Wexford to fill Vacant League Spot

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    He might look a bit nuts, and he didn't come across great on the news but I think he does know what he's doing. He's the kind of man who's only too happy to lead people to believe he's a bit of an eejit. Plus he's kind of famous for hiding behind that wonderful hair! I'd imagine Dolan would be in some kind of advisory/director of football type role. I know a lot of people on here have issues with him but I think in this kind of capacity he could be very useful. I like the idea that the club will be amature and concentrate on local talent. A lot of good players have come out of Wexford and not travelled well and it would be nice to see tham get a chance at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Latcheko View Post
    I've nothing against Wexford but I'd prefer a team a little further away from Dublin just for a bit more regional variation or something. Ach, I'll shut up now.
    Are you for real ??? - check out the distances between Dub/Gal & Dub/Wex and see if there's much of a difference

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wallace is no mug. For years teams have been trying to get him to invest but he hasn't. He knows his football (season ticket holder at Juventus!), knows Wexford football and has a good business mind.
    Interesting though to see who the second applicant Delaney mentioned yesterday was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Did Wallace say he would build a 3000 seater stand in two years if they get in?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was on local radio here in Wexford this afternoon. He's practically sure of getting the go-ahead for the new club here in Wexford which is great news for the county. It's expected to be announced that Wexford Youths FC(what a stupid name!) will be the newest Eircom League team within the next 10 days and if/when they get the go-ahead, they will be playing as soon as March 2007 which is only 3 months away at this stage. He plans to build a 3000 seater stand at his grounds. He says that because his interests are primarily in the Wexford region, he wants to use mainly Wexford players which I think is quite admirable. He says that there is no regional Eircom League team at the moment which just players from that region in the team and he wants to change that with Wexford Youths FC. He gave the example of Kilkenny FC when they first started having 11 Dublin players which he said was stupid as the people of Wexford are not going to follow a Wexford team when it's only a recluse for retiring Dublin players. He plans to hold a trial in January for all players who would be interested in playing for the new team.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing an all Wexford team competing in the League of Ireland.

Well done to Mick Wallace for putting Wexford soccer on the map, he really dose deserve a lot of credit and I hope the whole of Wexford are behind him in his endeavours.
    Discussion forum about all matters to do with Wexford GAA, www.wexfordsupporters.com, go on join it!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Interesting letter from Wallace

I don't there are many clubs queuing up to join the eL & wallace certainly has the funds to back up his interest. Be surprised if he not admitted. Spend a few years building up a fan base & structure. Wexford Youths is rubbish name.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great letter from Mick Wallace. He has a connection with Juve which could be of benefit if they are admitted to the League. No doubt his comments about the FAI will be the kiss of death for his application

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onceahoop View Post
    No doubt his comments about the FAI will be the kiss of death for his application
    John Delaney is a keen follower of the 'keep your friends close & your enemies closer' strategy,
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I'll make 2 predictions re this new team, that I'm confidnet wil come true :

1) If called 'Wexford Youths' they'll change their name within 2 seasons.

2) They'll realise that you can't get anywhere in Irish football by exclusively selecting local players and, fed-up with the results it generates, will also after 2 seasons go for a more realistic mixed-approach - combining experienced talent with returning local talent and promising local youth.

I hope they do well and attract a decent support. Hopefully they accept that it'll take time to build anything in a completely new senior soccer county.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wallace is a serious operator, but if he can make a successful club thats basically amateur then he his a genius!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Hmm, what about Youngboys Ferns?

On second thoughts...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I'll make 2 predictions re this new team, that I'm confidnet wil come true :

1) If called 'Wexford Youths' they'll change their name within 2 seasons.

2) They'll realise that you can't get anywhere in Irish football by exclusively selecting local players and, fed-up with the results it generates, will also after 2 seasons go for a more realistic mixed-approach - combining experienced talent with returning local talent and promising local youth.

I hope they do well and attract a decent support. Hopefully they accept that it'll take time to build anything in a completely new senior soccer county.
    Have to agree with the general idea here. I think launching the team as 100% local and giving local players a chance is a great way of attracting support, then gradually introduce more 'regional' players, following on to national. Once the stand etc. is built and if the crowds are turning up I'd say semi-pro will happen and maybe even full time. Wallace is no mug and he's taking a very sensible approach from where I'm sitting. If we're going with Wexford Youths as the name why not Wexford Young Boys? It'd attract a certain crowd anyway!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post

On second thoughts...
    Beat me to the punch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Someone was saying on the news on Monday night (could have been Delaney) that they would be called Wexford Town FC.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Someone was saying on the news on Monday night (could have been Delaney) that they would be called Wexford Town FC.
    Now that's a much more sensible name than 'Wexford Yumphla's' or whatever it is.

How's about an echo on county history with 'Wexford Rebels' (as opposed to 'Wexford pikies'.... . Would annoy the Langer fans though...!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Wallace
    I agree that our own association, the FAI, is a shambles and full of people who don't care about our game
    Someone should tell him, that comments like that usually cost you at least a grand in the el.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsFans View Post
    Someone should tell him, that comments like that usually cost you at least a grand in the el.
    Knowing Mick, he would prefer pay the fine rather than be kept quiet. Remeber his massive banner at his building at the Millenium bridge? No to War, No to Nice, No to Terrorism. Cost him a few contacts in Dublin Council who asked him to remove it. He's not one ot conform is Mick. Wears his jeans and tshirt everywhere, meetings, events, even when being presented an award at a black tie event in Wexford he turned up in his workclothes. He was on Matt Cooper giving out about building standards last week too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Wears his jeans and tshirt everywhere, meetings, events, even when being presented an award at a black tie event in Wexford he turned up in his workclothes.
    typical culchie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post

On second thoughts...
    ahem....
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    What do you suggest? Young Boys of Ferns?
    about 2 months ago..

in this thread
    http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=42466
    Last edited by sonofstan; 14/12/2006 at 12:19 PM.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts

Foot.ie! Article from Wexford People 07.12.06

I just found this article which gives a bit more detail about the whole proposal and facilities. I'm sure most people are registered on the site already if not its free.

This is the link: http://www.unison.ie/wexford_people/...issue_id=14978

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast