Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dublin City in the Sunday Times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Ive critisised the ST in the past but since Paul Rowen took over from John O'Brien in covering soccer, the Eircom League content has gone up out of all recongnition.

There is also more positive articles.

What about the Tribune and The S. Independent, these are REAL Irish papers allegendly and yet they have even less coverage than the SI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb
    What about the Tribune and The S. Independent, these are REAL Irish papers allegendly and yet they have even less coverage than the SI.
    The Tribune is useless. I never buy it anymore.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    typical scummy foreign papers

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    In fairness most of the negative comment on Irish Football in the Sunday Times today came from an Irish source- Galway United.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    I'm surprised no-one has stated the obvious here as to why the ST does not promote the causes of Irish clubs at home and in Europe but would rather use the space to talk all matters (English) Premiership.

ST - prop. R Murdoch
    Sky - prop. R Murdoch

Enough said.

PP
    Not enough said.
    Last time I checked, Murdoch didn't own RTEngerland, nor did he own TG4, which is about to use public money to bring us yet more British football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    typical scummy foreign papers
    Don't like them? Don't buy them. And tell your friends not to buy them either.

Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Not enough said.
    Last time I checked, Murdoch didn't own RTEngerland, nor did he own TG4, which is about to use public money to bring us yet more British football.
    And what have either got to do with Murdoch? My point is about the cross-promotion, subtle or otherwise, that occurs between the Sun, the Sunset Times and Sky, not about any other media.

On the RTE and TG4 issue, I suggest you write to the head of commissioning at both stations and register your point as whingeing about it on a football message board will get you precisely nowhere.

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 23/07/2006 at 8:28 PM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    because that makes them money (advertising etc), same way they buy UK soaps, American comedies and movies from Hollywood. Watch TV in Spain or Italy or anywhere else and they show the Premiership. Them showing the premiership isn't the problem. Them not paying any attention to Irish football is. HOwever thats not the point being discussed...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    The Tribune is useless. I never buy it anymore.
    Off topic I know, but..... I've never been a fan of Matt Cooper, but fook me, there's been some decline in that paper since he left.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Watch TV in Spain or Italy or anywhere else and they show the Premiership. Them showing the premiership isn't the problem. Them not paying any attention to Irish football is. HOwever thats not the point being discussed...
    This is the first time I have seen Italian television cited as a standard by anyone, anywhere. If you live long enough you'll experience everything, I suppose.
    The point being discussed is that the Sunday Times somehow has it in for Irish football because it only ever reports the negatives, this because eL doesn't fit with its Sky/tabloid programme of promoting saturation coverage of British football. Or so the theory goes. My point is that it doesn't take that kind of commercial cross-interest for media to succumb to saturation English Premiership, even when the organization is funded with tax money, as is the case with RTE. The very purpose of its public funding is it doesn't have to chase the obvious audience, yet when it comes to sport what we get still is quick-buck scheduling.
    Last edited by BohDiddley; 24/07/2006 at 8:21 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Off topic I know, but..... I've never been a fan of Matt Cooper, but fook me, there's been some decline in that paper since he left.
    Way off topic but the Tribune has really gone downhill. As for the STimes article hard to disagree with any of it.
    Cork City FC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    On TG4 and RTE, does anyone really think there should be more live eL football on TV? I don't think I'd even bother watching a live eL game every week. The way they pick and choose the high-interest league and cup games is probably the best way to do it, so people don't have to look at empty seats and terrible football every Friday night. Maybe they could spread the games out a bit more, but the amount of live eL football on TV, added to eL Weekly, is about right

If eL Weekly was 60 minutes long, had better quality analysis, and went out at a better time, you would have to say that the league isn't important enough to warrant any more than 60 minutes a week of highlights (seperate from any live coverage). A 30 minute preview in the style of the Hub, on, say, a Thursday night would be a welcome development, but you're talking ideal world stuff there.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    northside hoop
    It's not the same thing. Sport is sport, world news is entirely different. Did they have a feature on the teams' progress in Europe yesterday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    is the title of this thread intentional?
    I remember.....
    Dublin City in the Sunday Times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime
    On TG4 and RTE, does anyone really think there should be more live eL football on TV? I don't think I'd even bother watching a live eL game every week.
    yeah but its not about hardcore fans watching, its baout tapping into the "I'll watch any football" brigade and if they knew that every Friday (or Saturday) evening there'd be a game on TV there's a chance they'd keep watching. They way it is now, there's no thought behind the games shown, there's no plan behind when the games are shown and there's no marketing of them.

I agree entirely that a quality highlights package is more important to us fans, but to TV land and, probably more importantly, live TV is where its at
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I agree entirely that a quality highlights package is more important to us fans, but to TV land and, probably more importantly, live TV is where its at
    Dunno really, I'd have thought that a highlights package might be better at getting people hooked - any time I show people at work clips of good goals off the web (fair play to the sites that have them) they're always a bit surprised at the quality - A good highlights programme could help dispel the notion that the quality is rubbish in the EL.
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12