Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTE World Cup Gatecrasher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Either give an example of a similar segment and compare and contrast with Gatecrasher or shut up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Its rubbish, you're not going to change that fact no matter what you ramble on with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Were there not enough car chases in it for you?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    There was no entertainment in it whatsoever, its just a few nomarks off on a jolly up. I'm sure you can extract some entertainment out of that though, you seem the type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    You can just switch it off when it comes on next time and watch worlds biggest storms on Sky 1. I think Ger Gilroy has a lovely voice and could listen to him say anything.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Why wait till next time, I've switched it off already, one episode was enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Billsthoughts, please tell me you are female.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    I've never played in the World Cup, but I know that Ukraine v Switzerland was not an entertaining game.

I've never worked in television, but I know that Gatecrasher has not been an entertaining segment.

I assume the purpose of Gatecrasher is to provide an off-beat insight into the whole 'event' of the World Cup outside of just what is happening on the field. In which case, the most recent programme with which it could be compared is Ardal O'Hanlon's European derbies show. I found that programme both witty and insightful. It benefitted from concentrating on one thing per half hour show.

Obviously, Gatecrasher only has a few minutes per programme so it is limited, but they don't seem to have planned their time to maximise the entertainment value. Short segments like this were used on the BBC2 show Standing Room Only in the early 90s. They seemed to have a stronger sense of their purpose and were both informative and hilarious.

In terms of getting a sense of a place or an event, Gatecrasher could be compared to TG4's Neelo, Imigh le Sruth or Hector. Any of these are more enjoyable - largely due to the charisma of the presenters - something which Gatecrasher is lacking.

I think I've seen 3 Gatecrasher segments and haven't enjoyed anything yet. The one thing that looked promising was an interview with Paddy Agnew about the Italian scandal, but he only got about 30 seconds and it was kind of lumped in without much thought.

We see a little of the colour of various groups of fans, but nothing new. Even Marty Morrissey in the Woolshed got more out of his interviewees.

Generally, programme-makers welcome feedback from viewers. Personally, I think that Gatecrasher suffers from a lack of purpose, of humour and of charisma. I would switch it off, but then I might miss something worthwhile like the panel's comments or Apres Match.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts
    Its not as bad as people are saying. I think it could probably do without having an intro that lasts nearly as long as the segment. But its still an interesting concept. I take it all the people criticising it have extensive TV experience? No? I didnt think so. Never mind the begrudgers Ger..........

An interesting concept, but it's complete sh**te. Partly I think due to the fact that its only on for about 2 mins. However, I would agree with other posters that it totally fails to capture and convey the world cup atmosphere and gives little or no insight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie
    Short segments like this were used on the BBC2 show Standing Room Only in the early 90s.
    Jaysus, that takes me back, i remember the short cartoons, like God trying to take over from brian clough at forest, or jack charlton naming the ireland team with players like "celtic's goalie" and "scouse striker"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Talking

You can just switch it off when it comes on next time and watch worlds biggest storms on Sky 1. I think Ger Gilroy has a lovely voice and could listen to him say anything.
    Are you Ger Gilroy??????????????
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy
    Are you Ger Gilroy??????????????
    Could be Eoin McDevitt or Ken Early!!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    And listen I do! On the radio that is. The man wears skin tight shirts while in public view while posessing a pot belly!! If that doesnt indicate that this segment is ****e i dont know what does. Its got so little content in it that people are having trouble explaining why its ****e. Sometimes things are just ****e without any reason (other than the skin tight shirts reason that is) and gatecrasher is one of those things. Its ****e. End of story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed
    And listen I do! On the radio that is. The man wears skin tight shirts while in public view while posessing a pot belly!! If that doesnt indicate that this segment is ****e i dont know what does. Its got so little content in it that people are having trouble explaining why its ****e. Sometimes things are just ****e without any reason (other than the skin tight shirts reason that is) and gatecrasher is one of those things. Its ****e. End of story
    Brilliant That sums it up perfectly.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Seems to me that you people have anger issues.........btw NeilMcD, "lady" is the term you are looking for. what were you people looking for in the programme other than the oppurtunity to moan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ok lady, I would not have thought that Ger Gilroy was a gay icon. Fair play to Ger Gilroy for looking like an Irish guy on the last going around Germany. No style . Leilip Red maybe you are reading far too many issues of loaded.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Seems to me that you people have anger issues.
    Well Duh!! We ARE football fans!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seems to me that you people have anger issues.........btw NeilMcD, "lady" is the term you are looking for. what were you people looking for in the programme other than the oppurtunity to moan!
    I was looking for a segment that conveyed the atmosphere in the world cup cities, conversations with fans who had travelled miles and miles to get there etc etc.

Gatecrasher provides none of that. It is a terrible attempt and IMO is a waste of money. I am not criticising out of some form of begrudgery. I am critical of it because it really is rubbish!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    "I have travelled miles to be here" random fan
    " the atmosphere here is great" Ger Gilroy.
    Something like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Keep flogging that horse, you'll make them like it ag crioch an la!
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast