Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Sligo to play big part in Celtic statue unveiling

Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Brother Walfred pic from today:

Meant to post this sooner:

SLIGO will feature prominently at the unveiling in Glasgow next Saturday of a statue honouring the founder of Celtic football club.
    The statue is of the Ballymote born Marist brother, Brother Walfrid, who is acknowledged as the driving force behind the establishment of what was to become one of the world’s most famous soccer clubs.
    Andrew Kerins, as he was before entering the religious life, saw the founding of the club as a means of regular funds for his work in trying to alleviate the dreadful poverty in Galsgow at the time.
    The Sligoman has of course already been similarly honoured in his native county.
    In October last an eight months long fundraising campaign, promoted by the Sligo Weekender, culminated in the erection of a bronze bust of the Celtic founder in the public park in Ballymote.
    That unveiling was performed by the Celtic chairman Brian Quinn and Sligo’s other claim to fame at Celtic, Sean Fallon.
    Both will again be involved in Saturday’s unveiling but they will be joined by Brother Walfrid’s descendents Mary Healy and Andrew Kerins from Ballymote, who a great grandneice and great grandnephew.
    The Sligo Brother Walfrid Committee have also been formally invited by Celtic to attend the unveiling ceremony in Celtic Park at 2pm.
    Committee chairman Paddy Doherty, who spearheaded the Ballymote memorial campaign, said this was indeed a great honour for the Sligo committee.
    "It reflects the very close co-operation between both appeals as well as the increased links between Sligo and Glasgow Celtic."
    An invitation was also extended to former Garda Chief Superintendent in Sligo Jim Sheridan and Grange-based Garda Eugene McHale who undertook a gruelling sponsored walk from Ballymote to Glasgow in support of the Ballymote appeal.
    Jim will be present but Eugene McHale cannot make it due to presently being on a sponsored walk in Cuba for the Irish Heart Foundation. Also in attendance will be the Mayor of Sligo Councillor Rosaleen O’Grady and Ballymote councillor Pat McGrath, representing Sligo County Council.
    Local film production company, Omedia, will be filming the event for a planned TG4 programme on Brother Walfrid being screened later in the year.
    The Glasgow Brother Walfrid memorial committee are extending an invitation to Celtic supporters everywhere to attend the unveiling of the sculpture outside of the main entrance to Celtic Park.
    The new statue, by Glasgow sculptor Kate Robinson, has been financed entirely by donations from Celtic fans around the world.
    Emphasising the importance of the Sligoman in the Celtic story, a committee spokesperson said: "Andrew Kerins, the Marist Brother Walfrid from County Sligo Ireland, is the critical figure in the history of the Club."

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=25309
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Meant to post this sooner:

SLIGO will feature prominently at the unveiling in Glasgow next Saturday of a statue honouring the founder of Celtic football club.
    The statue is of the Ballymote born Marist brother, Brother Walfrid, who is acknowledged as the driving force behind the establishment of what was to become one of the world’s most famous soccer clubs.
    Andrew Kerins, as he was before entering the religious life, saw the founding of the club as a means of regular funds for his work in trying to alleviate the dreadful poverty in Galsgow at the time.
    The Sligoman has of course already been similarly honoured in his native county.
    In October last an eight months long fundraising campaign, promoted by the Sligo Weekender, culminated in the erection of a bronze bust of the Celtic founder in the public park in Ballymote.
    That unveiling was performed by the Celtic chairman Brian Quinn and Sligo’s other claim to fame at Celtic, Sean Fallon.
    Both will again be involved in Saturday’s unveiling but they will be joined by Brother Walfrid’s descendents Mary Healy and Andrew Kerins from Ballymote, who a great grandneice and great grandnephew.
    The Sligo Brother Walfrid Committee have also been formally invited by Celtic to attend the unveiling ceremony in Celtic Park at 2pm.
    Committee chairman Paddy Doherty, who spearheaded the Ballymote memorial campaign, said this was indeed a great honour for the Sligo committee.
    "It reflects the very close co-operation between both appeals as well as the increased links between Sligo and Glasgow Celtic."
    An invitation was also extended to former Garda Chief Superintendent in Sligo Jim Sheridan and Grange-based Garda Eugene McHale who undertook a gruelling sponsored walk from Ballymote to Glasgow in support of the Ballymote appeal.
    Jim will be present but Eugene McHale cannot make it due to presently being on a sponsored walk in Cuba for the Irish Heart Foundation. Also in attendance will be the Mayor of Sligo Councillor Rosaleen O’Grady and Ballymote councillor Pat McGrath, representing Sligo County Council.
    Local film production company, Omedia, will be filming the event for a planned TG4 programme on Brother Walfrid being screened later in the year.
    The Glasgow Brother Walfrid memorial committee are extending an invitation to Celtic supporters everywhere to attend the unveiling of the sculpture outside of the main entrance to Celtic Park.
    The new statue, by Glasgow sculptor Kate Robinson, has been financed entirely by donations from Celtic fans around the world.
    Emphasising the importance of the Sligoman in the Celtic story, a committee spokesperson said: "Andrew Kerins, the Marist Brother Walfrid from County Sligo Ireland, is the critical figure in the history of the Club."

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=25309
    On the back of this Statue unveiling..Sligo Rovers should organise a pre-season friendly with Glasgow Hoops. Charge €25 a ticket... the Irish so-called Celtic supporters paid more to watch them play St.Pat's in Dublin a few years ago..Stuff the Showgrounds, wring a few €uros out of the North West Barstooler's Association, and set themselves up for a realistic go at staying up in the Premier next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    On the back of this Statue unveiling..Sligo Rovers should organise a pre-season friendly with Glasgow Hoops. Charge €25 a ticket... the Irish so-called Celtic supporters paid more to watch them play St.Pat's in Dublin a few years ago..Stuff the Showgrounds, wring a few €uros out of the North West Barstooler's Association, and set themselves up for a realistic go at staying up in the Premier next year.
    Rovers have been trying to organise one for a while now. Celtic were trying to arrange a date that suits both clubs. That was their excuse about three months ago anyway, dont know what they're using now
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Rovers have been trying to organise one for a while now. Celtic were trying to arrange a date that suits both clubs. That was their excuse about three months ago anyway, dont know what they're using now
    Even better would be to use the Willie McStay connection. Even get him to take over the U-19s and present him with some award at half time and drag out the legion of glory hunting Rovers fans from bygone days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Even better would be to use the Willie McStay connection. Even get him to take over the U-19s and present him with some award at half time and drag out the legion of glory hunting Rovers fans from bygone days.
    Eh, we already played the u-21/reserve side back in July of this year, see here

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Don't know the details of this, but Im pretty sure Celtic would not be lookign for any reasons to stall that weren't legitimate. We play plenty of pre-season friendlies in Ireland, players and officials attend numerous functions in Ireland and especially with the sligo connection there is no reason to suggest they wouldn't want to organise a friendly with Sligo Rovers. I guess you are probably another eircom league fan with a chip on his shoulder re: Celtic?

Anyway McGeady scored one today for celtic in a 3-0 win at Falkirk.

Hibs and Hearts both won yesterday. Hearts won 3-0 and Hibs came from 1-0 down against Livi win 2-1 in the last 10 minutes. Rangers drew 0-0 at home to Aberdeen (their next 2 leagues are away to celtic and away to Hibs)

Current table

Table looks as follows

Team P GD PTS
    1 Celtic 14 26 35
    2 Hearts 14 21 35
    3 Hibernian 14 12 31
    4 Rangers 14 10 23
    5 Kilmarnock 14 1 19
    6 Motherwell 14 -3 18
    7 Aberdeen 14 0 17
    8 Inverness CT14 -2 17
    9 Dundee Utd 14 -9 13
    10 Falkirk 14 -13 13
    11 Dunfermline 14 -20 5
    12 Livingston 14 -23 5

Mcgeady goal is attached for those interested (2nd one)
    http://x400.putfile.com/videos/30912504319.wmv
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Don't know the details of this, but Im pretty sure Celtic would not be lookign for any reasons to stall that weren't legitimate. We play plenty of pre-season friendlies in Ireland, players and officials attend numerous functions in Ireland and especially with the sligo connection there is no reason to suggest they wouldn't want to organise a friendly with Sligo Rovers.I guess you are probably another eircom league fan with a chip on his shoulder re: Celtic?
    Clearly you dont visit this thread that often or else you'd see I am actually a Celtic fan. Their has been talk of this friendly for the past year, but so far, nothing has come of it. About 6 months ago now, I emailed Celtic to see if their was going to be a friendly and they said, they had been contacted by Sligo Rovers and they were trying to arrange a date that suits both clubs, so far, no word of anything yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone see the Getafe goal against Barcalona yesterday - what a screamer!
    Has to be goal of the season in Spain (so far) and goal of the month in Europe!!
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Apologies if posted already, but the Celtic/Rangers cup game is on BBC Scotland on Wed night. Anyone with a satellite (incl. sky) can pick this up
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Clearly you dont visit this thread that often or else you'd see I am actually a Celtic fan.
    fair enough, although I post here quite often myself and I didn't recall seeing your allegiance before. apologies.

Their has been talk of this friendly for the past year, but so far, nothing has come of it. About 6 months ago now, I emailed Celtic to see if their was going to be a friendly and they said, they had been contacted by Sligo Rovers and they were trying to arrange a date that suits both clubs, so far, no word of anything yet
    And this is obviously Celtics fault ---why exactly?

Meanwhile,

Graham Rix is linked as Hearts new Manager and is likely to be named as the new boss this week if the bbc are to believed........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw it alright, that was a screamer!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    She was a screamer alright!!

Barca look like going untouched again this season in La Liga. They're a class above anybody else in Europe and with the emerging star that is Leo Messi they'll wreak havoc in the Champions Lge too.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I could watch teams like Barca play all day, it's a joy to watch and they play the game the way it should be played.

It would be good for the beautiful game if they won the Champions League, however, I feel that they might get bullied out of games by the more physical teams like Chelsea etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    I could watch teams like Barca play all day, it's a joy to watch and they play the game the way it should be played.

It would be good for the beautiful game if they won the Champions League, however, I feel that they might get bullied out of games by the more physical teams like Chelsea etc.
    yeah, think you're right but how can anybody not enjoy watching Barca play?(on a purely footballing level)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    yeah, think you're right but how can anybody not enjoy watching Barca play?(on a purely footballing level)
    I watch em every week and went to see em v Valencia a few weeks back, they are the best footballing side in the world at the moment and it would be amazing if they can pull off the CL win as well as La Liga. I fear they won't because of the negative brands that are out there.

E'to in the CL last week was sensational, but last night he crossed a bridge from selfish goal getter to a cracking cog in a silky wheel. The pass to Guily was not needed, he would not have done it last year. With Van Bommel settling in there gradually, maybe when the real CL get's goin they will cope.
    The above is all opinion and based on personal experience. Unless stated otherwise it is not a dig at anybody, well probably none of you lot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the old firm game is on setanta on wednesday night

this is a big test for celtic. so far celtic have failed to beat Hearts or Rangers this season(admittedly only 2 games) and scraped past Hibs away. rangers are in a state at the moment but it would be typical if they pulled something out of the bag on wednesday evening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm glad to see Hibs going well. Got lukcy but they did. I've heard there were 6,000 Hibbies at Livingston, not bad!

I thought Richie Foran played well for Motherwell, it's good to see.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Livingston have next to no home support and it's just outside Edinburgh. Packed three sides of the ground which is superb.

As the Manic Street preachers almost said - If Jambos tolerate Rix then their children will be next
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    As the Manic Street preachers almost said - If Jambos tolerate Rix then their children will be next
    No laughing matter mate it's a disgrace! But let's keep on topic.....

God: Alex McLeish-come forth!!
    McLiesh: Fourth???? We'll be lucky to come fifth!!!
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast