Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Thunderstorms

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My list of famous thunderstorms

1983: January 9th: I cannot remember thunder from this storm, but it was my first memory of lightning that night.

1983: June 1st: Afternoon thunderstorm had evrybody in a panic. A flash of forked lightning frightened the crap out of me that day.

1983: 22nd August: First thunderstorm abroad happened in the Huelva region of Spain on a day trip during the middle of the day.

1984: September 20th: Last real ultra long thunderstorm that I can remember took place that night. Storm started at 7:30 and went on for at least 3 and a half hours.

1986: June 27th: Nasty thunderstorm. See previous post. I slept through another violent storm on the night of 28th-29th June 1986. My father told me about the forked lightning in that one.

1989: May 21st: Evening thunderstorm with hardly any rain, the sky turned an eerie yellow and some spectacular forked lightning. Started at 8:00 and finished at 10:00.

1989: December 24th: Thunderstorm at 9:30 at night knocks off electricity. Christmas tree on local mountain still lit making for an unreal scene.

1990: August 24th: My worst thunderstorm ever took place in Dublin. Please find details on opening post.

1992: June 7th: Nasty evening thunderstorm started at 8:00. The storm produced heavy rain and acorn-sized hail.

1992: June 29th: A day with frequent thunderstorms saw one that knocked off the power and another one with squally winds.

1993: December 29th: An unstable, thundery day saw one thunderstorm with very large hail.

1997: July 10th: A very thundery day with forked lightning. At 7:30 that evening during football training. one bolt of lightning struck less than a mile away.

1999: August 6th: A series of afternoon thunderstorms causes flooding in a local supermarket.

1999: August 18th: An afternoon thunderstorm spawns mini-twisters.

1999: August 24th: Night time thunderstorm with intense lightning and some very loud thunder. Thunder was from 9:30-10:00 and the lightning carried on for some time after that.

2000: July 4th: Afternoon thunderstorm at 4:30 caused local flooding.

Can anybody beat that list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    Can anybody beat that list?
    Does anyone want to?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Does anyone want to?
    well were not gonna compete in a Thunderstorm discussion with someone called Thunderblaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    well were not gonna compete in a Thunderstorm discussion with someone called Thunderblaster
    Potential POTM for November!! Has a good line to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea
    i was about 8 or somethign and i was down in achill staying in a caravan the bloody caravan was gooing from side to side and i was saying to my mam at the time, "i wish daddy was here now cos he would be able stop it" LOL, but he would have im telling ye!!!!

i dont remember saying that but i do remember it being extremely winding, with very heavy rain and the thunder seemed like it was coming from just above the roof
    I experienced something similar. We stayed in a caravan in a campsite in Ventry in 1979 (I was 12) the night of the storm during the fasnet yacht race which killed 15 people. The campsite was basically on a headland totally exposed to the wind. I remember waking up in the caravan in the middle of the night and the thing was swaying like mad and there was unbeliveable thunder and lighting. I was scared sh*tless. My parents, me and my cousin ended up sleeping in the car. Everyne else ended up doing the same and a few of the caravans did get blown over in the night.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking Thunder and Cheeky Girls

There was a couple of raps of thunder tonight, and I simply enjoyed the storm by listening to Cheeky Girls (Touch My Bum) by Cheeky Girls. Absolutely Scrumptious. How about getting a spooky song out sometime during a thunderstorm; eg, Vienna by Ultravox or Mama by Genesis, particularly if it was a violent storm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I happened to be in Ballinasloe the other week and there was a nice bolt of fork lightning. No thunder though. It was an absolute thrill at the same time. I wonder did Sirhamish see any of it?
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I remember one in the 90s during the night - the first and loudest bang was so bad I ran outside 'cos I thought something had knocked down one of our chimneys. The house actually vibrated (no smart ass remarks please ) No kidding. That storm burned out every bloody phone connection in Beeslow in a radius of 7 miles. The phone connection in my house was black.
    TBH I love thunderstorms though.
    Back in 1974, I was playing Deep Purples (just released) "Burn" album so loud that when someone said to me "wasn't that a terrible loud storm" - hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Passed right over me. God's truth, no exaggeration - wonder why I didn't notice the lightning.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya i wonder what it is, but i love them too, so does my brother and father? is it that we can marvel at a creation so enthralling, yet not done by man?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I believe that there was some cracking thunder on Thursday. I heard that Claremorris in Co. Mayo got flooded, that there was hail between Swinford and Charlestown, Ballinrobe got it bad, Galway was hit and places like Mullingar and Kells came in for a mention. Any thunder reports out there that I would be interested to hear?
    Last edited by Thunderblaster; 14/05/2006 at 8:32 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Yeah, nice storm over Athlone on Thursday afternoon. Best I've seen in a long time, particularly during the day. Plenty of forks through the sky and hitting the ground. Lasted an hour maybe.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I since found out that the Laois/Kilkenny region got a hammering on Thursday and Friday. I think around Abbeyleix that there was lightning every couple of seconds at one stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    got off the bus to drain the alcohol on the way to Pats game and when i got out it was a bit windy and then all of a sudden i seen a flash and a roar was a nice little storm nothing too big, the lighting was cool, i loved it when i was in Florida 6 years ago driving into a big storm, was pretty cool, but my mother was freaked out big time becuase lighting was hitting the ground a few metres away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was staying out with my grandad in Autumn 2003. Coming back from the pub about 10pm and the sky was the most amazing pupley black blue, really weird. When we got up to his house, we stood for ages and watched a huge thunderstorm out over the sea.I hadnt seen anything like it.Found pu the next morning it had casued the landslide at Polathomas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Babysis
    I was staying out with my grandad in Autumn 2003. Coming back from the pub about 10pm and the sky was the most amazing pupley black blue, really weird. When we got up to his house, we stood for ages and watched a huge thunderstorm out over the sea.I hadnt seen anything like it.Found pu the next morning it had casued the landslide at Polathomas.
    That was the Great Erris Thunderstorm of the 19th September 2003. Famous for its landslide. Still local folklore to this day....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    We had some thunder at CHP yesterday afternoon about 2.30/3pm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking Exorcising Thunderbolts

I discovered that the most famous thunderstorm to strike Rome was the night when The Exorcist was being premiered. Lightning struck the church next door to the cinema and the Crucifix came crashing down onto the street.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Check out this on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...4&postcount=60. This picture was taken in Cork on the night of 9th June. Is that dahamsta's house in the line of fire?? Another lightning classic was taken in Wexford on the evening of 2nd July on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=316. If you were out to sea with that lightning, it would be a case of three strikes and you are out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As the Spanish Plume moves northwards over Ireland, get your cameras ready to take pictures or record the potential storm of the century. If it is hot today, there is the possibilty of real booming thunder and in yer face lightning of the 25th July 1985 mode!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    My mum has a story from when she was growing up in Tipp Town of heading down to Mass one day and a ball of lightening rolled down the street. Said she'd never been so frightened in her life!

Had a massive thunderstorm when I was over in Canada last month. Four of us were camping in the Rockies and were woken up at about 1:00am by a massive peal of thunder. The storm lasted for about three hours, and all I could think of was that I was in a tent which would burn down in about ten seconds in the middle of a forest.

Was on holidays in Germany in 96 heading around the country in a camper van. A lamp-post a couple of yards from the van was hit by lightening - massive crack out of it. The car park cleared out fairly quickly! We stayed in it - in the empty middle obviously - and ended up having a local in for a cup of tea because she was so scared.

Think I vaguely remember the '85 storm - or at least, I remember drawing a picture of lightening from a storm I saw at about that age.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 19/07/2006 at 1:06 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast