PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Cup 2008

Mark Breen
28/09/2007, 10:53 AM
I've heard that the DDSL want to put a Major Division selection into the Kennnedy cup @ U13 level as well as the premier selectiom, does anybody know anything about this.....

clownboy
28/09/2007, 11:18 AM
Have not heard anything but it would make sense if they did Because the DDSL is definately strong enough to cope with 2 teams

Mark Breen
28/09/2007, 12:01 PM
Have not heard anything but it would make sense if they did Because the DDSL is definately strong enough to cope with 2 teams

I heard last night that there was summit in the star last tuesday, hopefully its true, my team are currently unbeaten in the major and i'd like to see a few of my lad's represent down there this season.....

If anyone hears anything it would be much appericiated..

the 12 th man
28/09/2007, 12:12 PM
I've heard that the DDSL want to put a Major Division selection into the Kennnedy cup @ U13 level as well as the premier selectiom, does anybody know anything about this.....

Can't see them being allowed to do that tbh,as it would set a precedent that would make the other Leagues possibly look for another team in the competition (I'd say they wouldn't want the event getting too much bigger than it is already).

Mark Breen
28/09/2007, 1:16 PM
Can't see them being allowed to do that tbh,as it would set a precedent that would make the other Leagues possibly look for another team in the competition (I'd say they wouldn't want the event getting too much bigger than it is already).

Maybe,

But at least it would give the premier DDSl team some competition....

Thunderblaster
29/09/2007, 4:26 PM
Shouldn't this discussion be on the Kids Football thread?

the 12 th man
29/09/2007, 6:38 PM
Shouldn't this discussion be on the Kids Football thread?

Maybe,but a lot of these kids wil be feeding into the Junior Leagues in a few years.

I'll move it to Kids Soccer for the moment.

Mark Breen
01/10/2007, 10:16 AM
Ok, i've got answers...

The DDSL are only submitting 1 team this year... A squad of 16 is already picked, But they want managers of Major teams to submit players for a trial for the team....

I personally can't see any managers submitting players as to do so will more than likely mean they'll lose said players to premier teams at the end of the seaosn.

Thunderblaster
03/10/2007, 12:30 AM
The DDSL could have five squads and still win the competition. The biggest question is who will pose their biggest challenge? You would certainly have to put Cork and Waterford into the equation.

MervilleUnited
22/10/2007, 5:53 PM
The DDSL could have five squads and still win the competition. The biggest question is who will pose their biggest challenge? You would certainly have to put Cork and Waterford into the equation.

I agree totally. Maybe it is time for a change to this competition, considering the expense of competing for a week. Also needs a more equal standard to really bring our best young players on. (This is treason, but I have no offical role with kids soccer at present:eek::D)

Maybe a Qualifying competition with groups played at various venues around the country? Something like the World cup qualifying, with the final 16 playing in UL. The rest could play in another tournament elsewhere in the country. More competetive games equals better advancement of our better players?

Kildare Lad
22/10/2007, 8:48 PM
Yeah that sounds like a better idea alright, it would be more competitive and it would give the lesser teams a better chance to win something if there was a tournament for those who didnt qualify.

Number9
25/10/2007, 5:14 PM
Kennedy Cup teams tend to consist of the better BIGGER players. Selectors around the country know that the DDSL are the team to beat and that the DDSL boys will be big, so on the whole they (the selectors) tend to cut their cloth accordingly....Personally I think that the Kennedy Cup should be played at U15 or U16 age groups. Best time would be to coincide with schools transition year, so education doesn't interfere. The "true" football players with the proper attitudes start to come through then (most of the GAA boys have departed as have most of the rugby players and also those who partake in activities more associated with adults - smoking and drinking) and physical size is not as much of an issue....