PDA

View Full Version : Coaching soccer abroad

teckno
02/02/2006, 2:05 PM
Has anybody ever did any coaching abroad at soccer camps etc, how did ye get on any experiences, is the money good?

parnell ranger
02/02/2006, 3:19 PM
A guy i know just returned from coaching in Chile- he combined the kids coaching with teaching English- not much money in it but whole trip paid for by hosts.

Karlos
02/02/2006, 7:10 PM
I coached in Boston, MA in 2003 for three months. I was working with a representative team and also did some camp work at Boston College. I arranged the whole thing myself and as a result the pay was much better than the agency camp work (which is terrible) although I still had to get a part-time job for when I wasn't coaching to have a bit of a life outside. Some of the guys from the UK I met where working at Soccer Schools and were constantly giving out about the other chores they had to do besides coaching - down to even cleaning the jacks & stuff and as a result many of them didn't give a flying f*ck and didn't really gain anything from it (neither did their players!).:o

I was lucky in that I wasn't housed in a camp so I just turned up to coach at wherever I was needed and then went on my way. If you can arrange your coaching yourself all the better, cuts out a lot of hassle. I got involved with the Rep Team first and it got me more contacts in the camp area during the time so it worked very well.

Be prepared to work hard though, kids and parents in the States I found are very demanding and you need to know the stuff your doing as they will question why your doing it a lot of the time. It's a great experience though and if you meet some good coaches you'll get some great ideas for your own coaching. You WILL be amazed at how well organised soccer coaching sessions and tournaments are organised in the States - top quality.

I anticipate myself to be starting back coaching soccer here in Toronto, Canada over the next few weeks.:)