PDA

View Full Version : changing the season for kids

the 12 th man
19/03/2005, 5:04 PM
anybody know if this is going to happen ?
there's been talk for years about starting say about now and running it through the summer as opposed to having the kids shivering every sat/sun morning. :(

MervilleUnited
19/03/2005, 9:45 PM
As a person who is involved in Admin of Kids Soccer, no word on what should be logical!! Tried to bring a motion last year in Sligo, lost by 1 vote 23-22, traditional was he word!

Crap in my opinion, kids should develop on the better pitches! :ball:

the 12 th man
20/03/2005, 9:37 AM
Crap in my opinion, kids should develop on the better pitches! :ball:

exactly right,
the arguments against the switch were holidays and clashing with the gaah,but hey,people go on holidays all year round now and why not let the kids enjoy the good/better weather & pitch conditions.

another plus point would be that more people would attend the games leading to a better atmosphere all round.

Derek
20/03/2005, 7:34 PM
Also, the kids are on hols from school and the parents want shut of them so you could play more games and there would not be so much of a need to pay for expensive indoor halls for the younger kids. I know the cost hits my club hard in the pocket every year.

The only negitve I can think of is the hard pitch from the burning sun :rolleyes:

Thunderblaster
24/03/2005, 12:33 AM
Mayo and Roscommon both run their underage seasons in summer and it has improved the quality of underage football, particularly in Mayo. The pitches are better, allowing for a more technically sophisticated game to be played by the children. No one can develop craft and finesse in six inches of muck.

stojkovic
24/03/2005, 11:56 AM
Also, the kids are on hols from school and the parents want shut of them so you could play more games and there would not be so much of a need to pay for expensive indoor halls for the younger kids. I know the cost hits my club hard in the pocket every year.

The only negitve I can think of is the hard pitch from the burning sun :rolleyes:
Hard Pitch - ok but with better surfaces the need to 'hoof it' would diminish and with it players jumping for high balls etc. In Holland they play and train on astro or sand pitches all year round as land is at a premium.

Burning Sun - with the long evenings, games could be played mid-week at seven in the evening. This would eliminate the 'Orlando' effect :)

It would also ease the referree problem as they could do kids soccer April-Oct and junior/inter Sep-May. There will be some overlap but they could do with the money :)

MervilleUnited
24/03/2005, 6:57 PM
Common Sense!! :)
Logical! :cool:
Will Never Happen, well until the top brigade running kids soccer die off!!
Pity, our young kids deserve better! :ball:

Mad Moose
28/03/2005, 2:10 PM
anybody know if this is going to happen ?
there's been talk for years about starting say about now and running it through the summer as opposed to having the kids shivering every sat/sun morning. :(

Have to say we have been lucky here this year. I had but one Saturday morning that was to bad to play but we went ahead anyhow :D . We had our South Donegal Schoolboy's League Blitz for U-10's at Drumbar at the weekend. The early one's in January were played on Astro Turf so the weather didn't matter. The field was perfect on Saturday on what was the best day of the year. Having said that I take it we would have a far greater turn out with kids off school during the summer months and the ground is better to play on. At this age kids are finding their feet and developing with the game. Thats hard to do during wet weather when the turf is sodden. I'm not all that concerned about a change though having seen how this season went.

Brendan

Mad Moose
28/03/2005, 2:16 PM
No one can develop craft and finesse in six inches of muck.

And we're talking kids here, they are but learning the basics. Control, passing, co-ordination. Christ our Seniors struggle with that on wet turf. No hope for the kids.

Its got to depend on the surface as well. We are as I said above quite fortunate in that the grounds for our pitches are as good as you will find anywhere. Set amongst Drumlin hills with an excellent soil the ground dries very quickly so the pitches may dig a little but rarely get sticky and so they dry quickly. Ive seen a few pitches over the season that are just not fit let alone safe to play on.

Brendan

the 12 th man
29/03/2005, 7:54 AM
And we're talking kids here, they are but learning the basics. Control, passing, co-ordination. Christ our Seniors struggle with that on wet turf. No hope for the kids.

Its got to depend on the surface as well. We are as I said above quite fortunate in that the grounds for our pitches are as good as you will find anywhere. Set amongst Drumlin hills with an excellent soil the ground dries very quickly so the pitches may dig a little but rarely get sticky and so they dry quickly. Ive seen a few pitches over the season that are just not fit let alone safe to play on.

Brendan

count your blessings,

we play in sdfl (dublin) and between the end of november and now = about 4 months and we've only played 5 games in that time.i know we broke for about a month at xmas but we've lost a lot of weekends to unplayable pitches :(

harpskid
29/03/2005, 11:17 AM
Brendan, how'd the blitz go on Saturday?

Mad Moose
04/04/2005, 10:43 AM
Its Saturday 2 weeks ago now and it went very well.I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Had an early start on the most beautiful morning imaginable and the field was covered in a light silver dew which burned off quickly in early morning sun. 2 games were held on the pitch and the participants were ourselves, Donegal Town, Copany Rovers and Erne Wanderers (cached by Kevin O'Connor, father of Art and Shane)
The first round of games saw Drumbar Utd take on Copany Rovers and Donegal Town take on Erne Wanderers. We won our first game 1-0 while Donegal Town ran out 3-0 winners.

In the second round we lost 1-0 to Donegal Town to concede our only goal of the day. We should have made more of it.

In the final round we took on Erne Wanderers and ran out 4-0 winners and were afforded the opportunity to try out our younger participants. Copany Rovers equalised against Donegal Town to finish off a wonderful day.

Plyd W D L F A PTS
Donegal Town 3 2 1 0 5 1 7
Drumbar Utd 3 2 0 1 5 1 6
Copany Rovers 3 1 1 1 3 2 4
Erne Wanderers 3 0 0 3 1 9 0

The above doesn't matter. I was proud to have hauled the event to our home patch and a great day was had by everyone involved. It takes alot of organisation and support from an awful lot of people and its appreciated.

In the other half of the draw saw the meeting of St Catherine's, (Killybegs)Eany Celtic, (Inver) Carrick Town and Killymard Utd.(Donegal Town)

Brendan Grufferty

winger
22/04/2005, 1:18 AM

with all dew respect whar burning sun, ha ha, i know from my son's club it would be nearly impossible to field a team in the summer. what with family holidays. last year we had four kids up training on one particular week, most of them were either in spain or in wexford in the families mobile homes

Mad Moose
22/04/2005, 9:53 AM
it would be nearly impossible to field a team in the summer. what with family holidays. last year we had four kids up training on one particular week

With the GAA season kicked off I had something like 5 kids who turned up last Saturday and on a beautiful day I got to work with a few kids whom I considered to have been on the fringes during the year. It was all worth it. Then come Wednesday evening I was back to 23 kids and It was hard work. It can be frustrating when a small number turn up but if the kids want to play or like my ethos they will turn up and i'll be there to facilitate them.

Brendan

the 12 th man
22/04/2005, 10:00 AM
with all dew respect whar burning sun, ha ha, i know from my son's club it would be nearly impossible to field a team in the summer. what with family holidays. last year we had four kids up training on one particular week, most of them were either in spain or in wexford in the families mobile homes

i think you would be pleasantly suprised if it was changed in that if the season was in the summer you would have more kids around to play.

sure there would be some kids on hols etc but i'm convinced the good weather :rolleyes: season would work.